Re-Burling / Re-tufting

ksokalski

I must say...I was under the wrong impressing of how "true" reburling and retufting was performed. After seeing the warranty issue thread, I would like to learn how to perform this repair. Where can I learn how to peform this repair as some of the others on this board are doing?

Any information/help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Kris

harryhides

Name
Tony
I have no problem with Harry's definitions esp re: re-burling of woven goods which I rarely do as there is so little of it around here. :(

But..... it should be stated that many, myself included were taught a method that was called "re-tufting" for repairing small areas of damage on tufted cut pile carpet. I often use this method on small burns or a nasty and small ink stain on a light colored carpet.
It involves injecting a drop of latex or using a fine tipped glued gun into the hole where one leg of a tuft used to be. Then using a tool with a sharp point and a "V" sort of like your thumb and forefinger to stuff one complete "V" of a tuft into the area between the primary and secondary.

I'll see if I can find a picture of the tool. You can make one out of a seam ripper by filing down the cutting part of the ripper.

180px-Seam_ripper.jpg

ksokalski

Cool....that I have been doing and I like your tip on the creating a tool out of a seam ripper.

I thought that it was really cool how he used a thread and needle to fix a berber carpeting by 're-burling'. Even if I only use this method for the repair, I really like the options that knowing how to do as much as possible will make avaible.

Cousin

Thanks Tony. Now I finally understand the difference in your terminology.

Your re tufting is just called 'fixing the carpet' here. Bit behind it, aren't we :oops: :lol:

Your burling we call re tufting.

Kris, if you can get someone to physically show you (re burling), it seriously only takes five minutes to pick up the basics.

And you guys are going to have to excuse us (down here), no doubt we will probably keep slipping in re tufting instead.

M

Cousin

Kris, these shots don't show you how to do it, but what you can achieve.
This one below looked tricky at first, but turned out to be one of the easiest I've done.
It is also recommended to get in good with all your local carpet manufacturers, so you can access yarn from the same carpet (you're repairing) including same dye lot.
This one had three colours, all with some missing.

IMGP1672.jpg

Next the black yarn was sewn in

IMGP1673.jpg

Next the fawn yarn. And this one really gives the carpet it's pattern. So I say this carpet was easy because all I had to do was get this colour placement spot on, and the rest of the carpet (pattern) looks good. (Please excuse the shot. The camera used for these pics has been burnt, destroyed and buried!!)

IMGP1674.jpg

And lastly the blue was sewn in

IMGP1675.jpg

You can probably notice a slight lightening in the centre of the last pic, I lightly dust most RE TUFTS (ok, re burling :roll: ) with chalk or plaster board. It looks a bit too light, but standing up, the slightly darker colour (of the new yarn sewn in) could no longer be seen, nor could this 'lighter' affect.

M

harryhides

Name
Tony
That's great M - you guys are not at all a "bit behind" especially when it comes to wool.
And that young squirt Jim can sure show them Yanks a thing or two about truck mount installs.

Together all the folks here can get a "bit ahead" with all of the help we get from each other.

:mrgreen:

When I get down to New Zealand there's only two things I want to see.
The Milford track and John's needles. :roll:

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
WOW, now I see what all the to do was about with me talking about re tufting... As M has said, we sew individual tufts in and call it re tufting, yet you guys call this process re burling... there is no way I'd consider doing what you're suggesting.. I've been wrong in the past, but having done it with needles, I can't imagine 'going back' to your system.

Tony, it's you guys that are behind doing it that way!!

And as far as my work and needles, indirectly, I owe my RE TUFTING skills to M. I was trained by another guy and he and M trained one or the other, can't remember, however, I wasn't having the greatest luck and M kindly donated me some needles... hence why i won't show them publicly.

In fact, last year when I wanted to get some advertising in place, I used another style of needle that from a public's perspective is believeable, yet doesn't give anything away to my competition... so if you're reading this and are in my work area, just carry on thinking I'm using them all the time :lol:

Tony, tbhis info doesn't excuse you from visiting NZ though

John

harryhides

Name
Tony
In some ways, John I expect you guys down under are ahead of us but only in a very few minor ways :p . I expect that since you deal with far more wool and probably woven goods than we do, this may be the reason. Sadly many really good AND old fashioned skills and crafts have gone by the wayside up here.

btw, where is South Palmerston ?

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Here's a job I did Friday.

Contractor caused dmage during a flood clean up.

I told the insurer and client that it could be re sewn instead of an insert like a layer would probably try. Sure enough, the layer declined the repair when he was told it had to be re tufted.

IMG_3948.jpg

IMG_3951.jpg

IMG_3953.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

IMG_3957.jpg

IMG_3958.jpg

I had a little trouble getting the tufts to sit right with owrking right up against the wall. Standing back, I and the client were very happy with it and from normal standing position, you couldn't find it.

John

Reactions: Issa Hoker
Back
Top Bottom