Procyon...again.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'm pretty sure I made a post about this same issue before....but here it is again.

Warm water in 2gallon pump up. 1-2 scoops of (2-4oz) Procyon powder in it.

Spray it evenly on the carpet and bright spots appear out of nowhere. I'm guessing it's residue -like woolite- activated. (she admitted to using woolite but the first time around a few years ago she didn't have a cat that would've been the cause for a spot cleaning. Which of course doesn't mean she didn't use the spot remover for some other reason.)

Customer of course has no idea what it could be....

DSC_1531.JPG DSC_1529.JPG DSC_1528.JPG

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Looks like color loss. I had one like that recently where the homeowner used folex on urine stains. When I was done cleaning there were pinkish dye loss spots where she used the folex. I really don't think there's anything in folex to cause that kind of color loss. She probably used some thing else in addition to the folex. Customers never give you the whole story. Not your problem.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I do know that it isn't my doing...but find it challenging to make them understand that I'm not the one creating the color loss. And I do see their point of view: "well, these bright spots weren't there before you worked on the carpet and now they're there.."

On a related note: I have a half of a box of Procyon powder if anybody wants it. This is the worst chem line in the industry. And no I don't want to hear the whole "if you rub garlic on your feet, you will taste garlic by the morning" speech.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I run across that when I clean over a RESOLVE OXY cleaner for pets.

Now I make it a habit to ask about what they used on THEIR ANIMAL PISS AREAS. Because I know as a professional COLOR WILL BE LOST!

And blame it on................THEM!

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
  1. Issue is not Procyon related.
  2. If you haven't had that issue before with other cleaning products you must be a Hungarian rookie :winky:
  3. That issue can be easily addressed in your legalese that they sign.
Mine says: ".......strictly uses CRI certified products approved by the manufacturers to be used on their “fabric”. However, unbeknownst to you (and us) and or visible, your “fabric” may contain chemicals (spotters you used, spills etc.). These chemicals may react with the water, detergents and or heat used in our cleaning process and cause a permanent color change or loss. It cannot be prevented as there is no way of knowing in advance where this hidden spills etc. are. If this is a chance you are not willing to take, you should instruct us not to clean your “fabric”..

Please send discussed product here rookie. I love garlic.................paprika also :very_drunk:

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
  1. Issue is not Procyon related.
  2. If you haven't had that issue before with other cleaning products you must be a Hungarian rookie :winky:
  3. That issue can be easily addressed in your legalese that they sign.
Mine says: ".......strictly uses CRI certified products approved by the manufacturers to be used on their “fabric”. However, unbeknownst to you (and us) and or visible, your “fabric” may contain chemicals (spotters you used, spills etc.). These chemicals may react with the water, detergents and or heat used in our cleaning process and cause a permanent color change or loss. It cannot be prevented as there is no way of knowing in advance where this hidden spills etc. are. If this is a chance you are not willing to take, you should instruct us not to clean your “fabric”..

Please send discussed product here rookie. I love garlic.................paprika also :very_drunk:

Ofer.... It has happened numerous times now with Procyon. Every time I give it another shot- in using the product-, I end up noticing this.

Paprika (real stuff, not store-bought junk) is not easy to source. If you really would like some I can arrange a low key (1-2kg) smuggling op. I usually have about a kilo (sweet and hot) on hand for us to use...but relatives and friends are always flying.

Reactions: JohnHawkP

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've had it happen with plenty of other products. Though I would be interested to know if for some reason, due to chemical content they are more likely to trigger that reaction. I assume you're using the Procyon + powder.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Looking at it...I think it is color loss also from homeowner using something.

I really think that could happen exposing it using any cleaning product once it releases the other soils and other stain products.

Just my thoughts on the outside here....

Reactions: JohnHawkP
Name
jack zerkie
That's the hard part of a NEW customer you have no idea of what's been done and by who. Home depot sells folex and says it's a great item. Home owners watch Tv and believe what their told and causes these problems. I cleaned for a Doctor that would spray his carpets with 4 cans of carpet cleaning foam and then use a push broom to brush it into the carpets did this for over 5 yrs, then wanted to sell and the carpets were gone. Didn't sell but purchased new carpets then I took over and we lived happy ever after. jz.

sassyotto

Name
Paul
there are some things I carry written articles on in the truck. For instance Furniture Cleaning Codes and the cause of Ripples. These are written by industry experts so if I run across a case I just pull out the article. I have no way of knowing if the customer is going to believe me (and most likely they will need to explain it to their spouse when they get home) so a written article penned by an industry expert gives all the details they need.

In this case, I would reference something most people are aware of - acne medication which most contain peroxide. So when it touches the carpet, you cant see it, but when it comes into contact with water, there is color loss and then you can see it. Most people understand this and what you are experiencing is similar to that. You just don't know what the water is reacting to.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Job from yesterday, she had dark smudges on her wool carpet so she applied an ammonia based cleaner which then turned yellow and brown on her..
20181017_130447(0).jpg
I was able to acid rinse the yellowing out and will be following it up tomorrow but she's gonna be left with colour loss

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Job from yesterday, she had dark smudges on her wool carpet so applied an ammonia based cleaner which then turned yellow and brown on her..
View attachment 85709
I was able to acid rinse the yellowing out and will be following it up tomorrow but she's gonna be left with colour loss
I know you see more wool carpets than I do over here but I would not use an ammonia based cleaner. I had the same issue years ago on heavily soiled wool stairs, white of course. My supplier suggested an ammonia based prespray and it immediately yellowed the carpet. I was able to correct with an acid but I stick with milder products now and add agitation.

Reactions: Hack Attack

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Ofer.... It has happened numerous times now with Procyon. Every time I give it another shot- in using the product-, I end up noticing this.

Paprika (real stuff, not store-bought junk) is not easy to source. If you really would like some I can arrange a low key (1-2kg) smuggling op. I usually have about a kilo (sweet and hot) on hand for us to use...but relatives and friends are always flying.
If I was closer I would take your procyon. I have been using procyon for almost 30 years now. Best product I have come across. Doesn't foam, doesn't leave sticky residue, non toxic, works great, what's not to like?

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I always carry an ammonia of some sort but yeah I only break it out on trashed places either in prespray or rinse

If it looks neutralised tomorrow I'll possibly mist n bonnet some HP to try even it then rinse.. or walk away

Reactions: Cleanworks

steve_64

I can't remember off hand which product it was maybe flex but it seemed to cause more issues like Zee is seeing. I just remember the shock of seeing the carpet lighten just from the Prespray. My other products didn't do that.

When I see issues appear I try and show the homeowner as soon as I see it happen so they can see what's going on too.I think it helps them understand its not something I did.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
there are some things I carry written articles on in the truck. For instance Furniture Cleaning Codes and the cause of Ripples. These are written by industry experts so if I run across a case I just pull out the article. I have no way of knowing if the customer is going to believe me (and most likely they will need to explain it to their spouse when they get home) so a written article penned by an industry expert gives all the details they need.

In this case, I would reference something most people are aware of - acne medication which most contain peroxide. So when it touches the carpet, you cant see it, but when it comes into contact with water, there is color loss and then you can see it. Most people understand this and what you are experiencing is similar to that. You just don't know what the water is reacting to.

Gotta agree with the acne medication.

The only claim I ever had was 20 years ago with a lounge suite clean.

The customer had the worst acne I had ever seen.

Colour loss.

It went to Court and the manufacturer of the cleaning product flew in at his own expense to assist.

He presented a compelling case but I lost.

It cost me a couple of grand to get it re upholstered.

The frustrating part was she stated she never used acne cream.

Back
Top Bottom