Prep Instructions

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
What prep instructions do you provide to your customers? Would you mind sharing with me? How do you deliver them? Verbally when they book? By email? I'm thinking I might draft a list of instructions and add it to their confirmation email. I wanna be like Mike...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Just tell them this:

"Just get yo sh** out of my way and go grocery shopping for a couple hours to stay out of my way while I'm there"

Reactions: Old Coastie

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I just cant believe anyone would ask their customers to "prep" the job for them. If anyone did that to me they would be cancelled. Just rude. If they have petsonal belongings in the way just charge to move it. Lr dr hall mbd: I can pick up a lot of crap in 20 minutes. Add 75.00 to your price.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Darcie, when I meet with them, I point out that the more access they give me, the more cleaning they get. However, I also point out that I am willing to move their things around "if you don't mind me doing so."

Almost always they will have cleared the decks. If not, I don't mind doing it.

Reactions: darcie smith

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
I just cant believe anyone would ask their customers to "prep" the job for them. If anyone did that to me they would be cancelled. Just rude. If they have petsonal belongings in the way just charge to move it. Lr dr hall mbd: I can pick up a lot of crap in 20 minutes. Add 75.00 to your price.
I had a customer ask me the other day what she could do before he came to make the job easier for him. It's not like we're saying we won't clean if they don't vacuum before we come.

Reactions: Old Coastie

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
I just cant believe anyone would ask their customers to "prep" the job for them.

Well yea... I'm not picking up Ms Smiths(or her kids) underwear, cloths/personal things. Seems inappropriate. If she wants a china cabinet moved, I'd figure a lot less is getting broke if it's empty. She should take her Fabergé egg off the table if she wants it moved, right? Heck, just not being a dumb arse is part of prep.

Nobody's asking them to tab and block stuff.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Well........try it Al.
It ain't rude. Some clients actually appreciate it.
And some here have been doing it for years and surprise surprise- are still in business.

The fact that you don't like it only means that YOU don't like it and you are making an assumption that therefore-THEY don't like it.
A decent assumption that in my experience is wrong.

Coming to think of it- Adding "$75 to pick up lots of crap in 20 minutes" does not sound too polite either. But that's only my assumption. Who knows, your clients may love it :winky:

Don't be "like Mike" Darcy, be yourself.

Last edited:

steve_64

When I give estimates and booking the job I mention the more work I do the more I need to charge. So if they can pick things up and move the small stuff they want cleaned under I can slidde the couch out to clean under and put back with block or tabs. We dont move beds, China cabinets or electronics.
Dry times will depend on condition outside and in. If it's hot please have the A/C on to help dry. If you have any fans have them out and I can set them up on my way out.
Check or cash only.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm surprised Mike hasn't chimed in with his customer prep note. Send him a private message Darcie. Its well stated, and has just enough humor in it to take the edge off of the instructions.

Monique

Name
Monique
This is what we send out:
Dear [FIRST_NAME] [LAST_NAME],

We look forward to your upcoming appointment. We’ll need your assistance to make the areas you want cleaned as accessible as possible.

1. Please arrange for a parking spot as close to your front door or cleaning project as possible

2. Remove all breakable items from the cleaning area and store in a safe area (lamps, collectibles, etc.)

3. Other than large furniture, please remove all items from the floor

(waste baskets, potted plants, brief cases, toys, etc.). If you are physically unable to move things yourself and cannot arrange for help, we will be more than happy to assist. Please pin up or tuck in bed spreads and dust ruffles. Drapes can either be hung up on the end of the rod, gently draped over each other or the ends placed in a plastic garbage bag. Extremely large or heavy items will remain in place (i.e. entertainment units, china cabinets, pianos). We will clean up to the outside edges.
Medium-sized furniture (i.e. tables, coffee tables, end tables, wing chairs, recliners, sofas) can be moved, the area cleaned, and returned to their location. We will place protective padding under furnishings with wood or metal feet to protect the carpet and the furniture. Some furniture is best left off the carpet until completely dried. We will discuss options during your appointment

Beds- If you want the carpet under your bed cleaned, you can either move the bed out of the room completely or remove the linens and lean the mattresses up against the wall while resting lengthwise on the narrow/head end of the frame rails. We can than step inside the frame and clean as much of the area as possible. Due to the many steps in our process and the inherent weakness in bed frames, we can not move the complete bed side to side to perform the cleaning. We can normally reach a foot or two under most beds from the three available sides with out any work on your part..

4. Have a safe place for your pets to stay,

Your front door or other access point will need to be left open during the cleaning process and we would hate it if Skippy or Shadow escaped.

5. Tell us your every concern.

Please point out spots and spills and tell us what they are.

6.We will pre vacuum your carpet prior to cleaning but if you would like to knock dust and cob webs off base boards, ceiling fans and from the back of furniture we recommend doing so prior to our arrival.

7. If we are cleaning your upholstered furniture:

Please have the pieces easily accessible from all sides and away from any breakable objects or delicate floorings. We can clean your sofas or chairs over the carpet/rugs being cleaned that day or if possible we can clean them outside or in your garage. The pieces set can be on tarps as a last resort. Loose cushions will be "A" framed on provided plastic sheeting, preferably outside for quick drying. In most cases furniture should not be reassembled the same day, rather when completely dry the following day.

and finally;

#8. If you have requested a Teflon Protector to be applied to your carpet or furniture after cleaning (recommended!) please plan on treading as lightly as possible for the next 12 hours as the sealant needs time to cure.

Thank you for choosing Connoisseur!

Did you know that we also clean Tile, Stone and Grout? Take a look at our website and blog for more information. If you would like to add on additional work please let us know ahead of time so we can come out for a free in home estimate and add time to complete the additional work.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call me direct @

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Petsonal? You mean like a litter box? Dog/cat toys? Water and food bowls? I let them know it's the carpet cleaner coming, not the maid.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
This is what we send out:
Dear [FIRST_NAME] [LAST_NAME],

We look forward to your upcoming appointment. We’ll need your assistance to make the areas you want cleaned as accessible as possible.

1. Please arrange for a parking spot as close to your front door or cleaning project as possible

2. Remove all breakable items from the cleaning area and store in a safe area (lamps, collectibles, etc.)

3. Other than large furniture, please remove all items from the floor

(waste baskets, potted plants, brief cases, toys, etc.). If you are physically unable to move things yourself and cannot arrange for help, we will be more than happy to assist. Please pin up or tuck in bed spreads and dust ruffles. Drapes can either be hung up on the end of the rod, gently draped over each other or the ends placed in a plastic garbage bag. Extremely large or heavy items will remain in place (i.e. entertainment units, china cabinets, pianos). We will clean up to the outside edges.
Medium-sized furniture (i.e. tables, coffee tables, end tables, wing chairs, recliners, sofas) can be moved, the area cleaned, and returned to their location. We will place protective padding under furnishings with wood or metal feet to protect the carpet and the furniture. Some furniture is best left off the carpet until completely dried. We will discuss options during your appointment

Beds- If you want the carpet under your bed cleaned, you can either move the bed out of the room completely or remove the linens and lean the mattresses up against the wall while resting lengthwise on the narrow/head end of the frame rails. We can than step inside the frame and clean as much of the area as possible. Due to the many steps in our process and the inherent weakness in bed frames, we can not move the complete bed side to side to perform the cleaning. We can normally reach a foot or two under most beds from the three available sides with out any work on your part..

4. Have a safe place for your pets to stay,

Your front door or other access point will need to be left open during the cleaning process and we would hate it if Skippy or Shadow escaped.

5. Tell us your every concern.

Please point out spots and spills and tell us what they are.

6.We will pre vacuum your carpet prior to cleaning but if you would like to knock dust and cob webs off base boards, ceiling fans and from the back of furniture we recommend doing so prior to our arrival.

7. If we are cleaning your upholstered furniture:

Please have the pieces easily accessible from all sides and away from any breakable objects or delicate floorings. We can clean your sofas or chairs over the carpet/rugs being cleaned that day or if possible we can clean them outside or in your garage. The pieces set can be on tarps as a last resort. Loose cushions will be "A" framed on provided plastic sheeting, preferably outside for quick drying. In most cases furniture should not be reassembled the same day, rather when completely dry the following day.

and finally;

#8. If you have requested a Teflon Protector to be applied to your carpet or furniture after cleaning (recommended!) please plan on treading as lightly as possible for the next 12 hours as the sealant needs time to cure.

Thank you for choosing Connoisseur!

Did you know that we also clean Tile, Stone and Grout? Take a look at our website and blog for more information. If you would like to add on additional work please let us know ahead of time so we can come out for a free in home estimate and add time to complete the additional work.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call me direct @
Sorry, i disagree. Just come and clean my carpet. Called to have my septic pumped. They said "If you dig the access out to the cover it will be less." I said no thats why i called you. They said great we will do it.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Different approaches to bus. Different preferences.
Both work.

Our businesses are a reflection of our personalities and we get to stay true to ourselves. As long as we keep it in check, keep our ego reasonably sized and are open to feedback, it's all good.

Mikey P

Administrator
To my knowledge in the ten plus years we've been sending this out we've never had a complaint or cancellation due to it.

A few, very, don't do it.
Either the email went to spam, they forgot, too old or they're Al's relatives.
If so , we just do it for them and didn't say a word or charge extra.

Most go overboard in trying to please us.

And it's the best ever reason to collect emails without a fight.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The "magic" in this form is the "Skippy or Shadow" reference.

By giving sample names that are obviously canine and feline, and saying "we would hate it" if they "escaped" it shows compassion for pets and yet gently reminds them that the pet is their responsibility, not the cleaner's.

If you make your customer smile and feel that you care about them (because you care about their pets), you score a big win.

Without that, your "prep list" might be read like the rules posted in a prison visitors area.

cleanking

Name
Jordan King
Sorry, i disagree. Just come and clean my carpet. Called to have my septic pumped. They said "If you dig the access out to the cover it will be less." I said no thats why i called you. They said great we will do it.
Asking people to pickup personal items or move small things out of the way is not asking someone to dig out an access cover in their yard.

Most people don't want to spend all day with the carpet cleaner, this helps them prep to make our job easier and allow them to get on with the next thing sooner.

In our experience is creates a much better client experience when they can know how to prep and most importantly what to expect. Proper communication displays that you're the professional and are trying to do the best job for them, all of our clients appreciate that.

Someone said "different ways to do business, whatever works for you" I disagree, you're a moron if your not working on setting expectations with your client from the moment they book.

Reactions: Mikey P and Monique

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
And it's the best ever reason to collect emails without a fight.
At first, when we started collecting emails, I'd ask if they'd like an email confirmation of their appointment, and some would say no. Since we started sending email reminders when we started getting booked way out, I'd ask if they'd like to give me an email address so they'd receive a reminder two days in advance of their appointment, and no one has said no.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My CRM (TheCustomerFactor) sends out a reminder and prep email automatically upon booking. The reminder gets sent out 24 hrs before the appointment. It basicially asks them to vacuum, secure lose objects, kids, and pets, pull up curtains, and make sure I have close parking and an available water supply. It works very well.

I always Prevac, but I found by asking the customer to also vacuum it raises their awareness of obsticals and they are likely to remove them.

steve_64

Asking people to pickup personal items or move small things out of the way is not asking someone to dig out an access cover in their yard.

Most people don't want to spend all day with the carpet cleaner, this helps them prep to make our job easier and allow them to get on with the next thing sooner.

In our experience is creates a much better client experience when they can know how to prep and most importantly what to expect. Proper communication displays that you're the professional and are trying to do the best job for them, all of our clients appreciate that.

Someone said "different ways to do business, whatever works for you" I disagree, you're a moron if your not working on setting expectations with your client from the moment they book.
I think it depends on the customer base too. I run into the higher end clients who like the extras but my average customers are slobs and don't take care of their stuff. In their eyes it's my job to pick up after them, even the wealrhier ones.
I don't mind and I teach my helper to prep the rooms as we are setting up and going from area to area. Even when they do pick up it's rarely good enough anyway. I know what I want and how to do it, no big deal.

I hate to sound like I'm rushing through the job to get to the next one.

Name
Nate W.
I'm sorry but Mikey's one is too lengthy in words.. I don't talk very much to people I just met and keep it short and simple.. We don't send out any emails before, just kindly ask them to secure breakables, move the personal stuff and have parking available..

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I. If they have petsonal belongings in the way just charge to move it. Lr dr hall mbd: I can pick up a lot of crap in 20 minutes. Add 75.00 to your price.

do you make them aware of additional charges for picking up their dirty laundry and moving their breakables?

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Nate W.
or have known for 15 years from what I can tell.

Even if they dont read it all, they get the gist.

MOVE YO'SHIT!

It's like they pay you and they're doing most of the work.. We had an ex-military guy who literally moved all his furniture to his kitchen, balcony and bathrooms, you're talking couches, beds and all by himself... Dude wanted his monies worth...:clap:

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

steve_64

Those are the ones you want to take good care of.

I've got some little old ladies like that lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom