NFG with VCT new install best way to finish/ wax

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Hey all,
I just finished installing VCT on my garage/ shop floor (19x19). I'm a Tradesman and have installed what seems to be miles of VCT in my days. However, I was never there for the final finishing in order to see how its properly done. So I'm here to ask, What's the best way to finish my floor high gloss shine?

I installed Armstrong vct, Install was a breeze as usual, I do have 3 small areas that have a a little glue residue. ie;
2' thin line sections pencil line thin with glue residue.

Am I going to have to rent a Floor buffer in order to properly complete?

which brand of Acrylic/ wax would you recommend? Solids % ? etc
will it need to be stripped in order to remove the factory finish as well?

Upon starting how much time is needed in order to complete and drying time between coats and before placing everything back into my shop No car's. Table Saw, jointer, miter saw, band saw, Big heavy work bench, etc. Most items are on wheels, caster's except workbench
I've read through a few posts to try and understand, however most of you guys are Pros and may leave out the common sense things that should be given when your in that line of work, that would probably be a crucial step that I would need to know myself. being a NFG.. " New Friggen Guy"

I appreciate any and all advice. Is it recommended to purchase at a Janitorial supply?

Central Florida Orlando area

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I know just enough to be dangerous
and will defer to those that do it for a living ....
butt...
make sure glue has cured fully before applying floor finish .
( a week or two depending on drying conditions)
remove surface glue residue with acetone or lacquer thinner
(if heavy, slice off the top with razor blade first)

don't need to "strip" with stripper, but there is a manufacturing residue that should get a quick scrub and rinse off before applying finish

I've used neutral cleaners for that

any janitorial supply stores near you?
They'll have pro floor finish

start with a clean dust free floor and apply thin even coats with synthetic string finish mop or pad applicator
(also available at JanSupply store )

after the third or forth coat, it will start to shine

won't be fully cured for days
but you can start moving light furniture and gear in the following day

if you want it to "pop" and look like deep wet glass, rent a hi-speed burnisher after the finish has had a month or so to fully hard cure

..L.T.A.

Jon

We do a lot of floors. Do a light scrub with any neutral cleaner, bule/green/brown pad, Rinse with cold water, dust mop & apply 3-4 coats. Want great results? High speed buff the next day & apply 2 more coats after the buff. We like Spartan IShine. Don't get caught up in the solids......I don't pay attention to it because who can prove it?

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Thank You for responding.

Yes sir, I'd love to see it look like deep wet glass, especially all the work I had to do in order to remove all the crappy epoxy that was on it to begin with. Talk about a chore to remove it... I originally was going to diamond brush the entire floor and go with the gloss concrete look, but after a buddy giving me the vct, I said what the hell... its only labor.. :)

Neutral cleaner such as? Whats best Mop or pad ? I have a pro quality mop and bucket

I have a Gem Supply not to far away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Matt Ross
Like already stated, let the floor off gas for at least a few days. Then scrape the glue off. I would scrub with a green pad and some neutral cleaner, then apply a sealer if you want. I would go to your local janitorial supply store and tell them your needs for wax. Every supplier has different brands so you should use what's local. Give it 4-5 coats of wax with an hour or so to dry between coats. Then give it about 48hrs before you put heavy stuff on it. Those are all optimal times. You can rush things if necessary.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Renting a 175 RPM floor machine will definitely speed up the process over hand cleaning. Probably worth the cost. You can rent from Aramsco on Amelia St in Orlando.

As Larry says, every brand has a neutral floor cleaner. They all work. If you are at Aramsco or Interlink - Viper 7.

A light scrub to remove the factory applied finish which is meant to make the tiles easy to handle during installation and not stick together. Mop or spray on your neutral cleaner. Scrub with floor pad, probably blue. Extract or flush to a drain. Rinse with fresh water.

Apply your finish. I suggest 18% to 20% finish. Higher solids can do a good job but are a bit thicker and not as easy for a first time user to spread evenly. Several coats with 1 hour or more between coats. In humid weather, maybe 2 hours or more between coats. Thin coats. First and last coats go edge to edge. The middle coats can stay 6" or more off the walls to prevent build-up along edges.

I like to go with the know national brands such as Johnson, Butchers, Betco, etc. You know they work. Local products often go for cheap rather than quality.

This can be polished with a high speed buffer if you want more gloss. Keep in mind that the glossier the floor, the more any scuff or damage from traffic will be noticed. Consider just a light shine that will be easier to maintain.

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Not sure if allowed to post links or not, if not please forgive. ;) Gem supply is the closest janitorial supply house in my area. I thought they were natl. but appears to only be a statewide business. Aramsco is an hour away from me, However if I need take the ride, then so be it.
https://www.gemsupply.net

Good to know
This can be polished with a high speed buffer if you want more gloss. Keep in mind that the glossier the floor, the more any scuff or damage from traffic will be noticed. Consider just a light shine that will be easier to maintain.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Gem carries Spartan and NSS which are good national brands. They also have the other items you need. No need for an hour's drive.

You can order from Aramsco / Interlink Supply on-line when you do need them. I want them to stay open a few more months until I retire.

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
I apply two past awesome (6 coats). The main purpose of finish on VCT is to protect the tile, the first two coats will accomplish that purpose. The next two coats will make it look awesome and the last two coats will protect that shine. When applying the finish their is big difference between it being dry and cured. To knowb if it has cured enough before you put on another coat of finish, after it has dried go stand on it and contemplate what great job you have done. As you lift your foot LISTEN for any sound that indicates that your foot stuck to the floor, if it did wait before applying your next coat, Repeat for every coat. If you do not wait long enough between coats it will begin to streak. More coats will not fix it, you will need to buff them out before proceding. If you put anything with rubber on the bottom (tires, etc) place something underneath, the oils from the rubber will leach into the finish and you will end up with yellowish brown spots on your nice clean floor.

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Thanks everyone, nice tip Andy.

Being that I haven't yet decided yet if I'm going to use a rubber cove base, would it be a good idea to squeeze a bead of silicone around the perimeter?

20181120_111252.jpg

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Hey all,
I just finished installing VCT on my garage/ shop floor (19x19). I'm a Tradesman and have installed what seems to be miles of VCT in my days. However, I was never there for the final finishing in order to see how its properly done. So I'm here to ask, What's the best way to finish my floor high gloss shine?

I installed Armstrong vct, Install was a breeze as usual, I do have 3 small areas that have a a little glue residue. ie;
2' thin line sections pencil line thin with glue residue.

Am I going to have to rent a Floor buffer in order to properly complete?

which brand of Acrylic/ wax would you recommend? Solids % ? etc
will it need to be stripped in order to remove the factory finish as well?

Upon starting how much time is needed in order to complete and drying time between coats and before placing everything back into my shop No car's. Table Saw, jointer, miter saw, band saw, Big heavy work bench, etc. Most items are on wheels, caster's except workbench
I've read through a few posts to try and understand, however most of you guys are Pros and may leave out the common sense things that should be given when your in that line of work, that would probably be a crucial step that I would need to know myself. being a NFG.. " New Friggen Guy"

I appreciate any and all advice. Is it recommended to purchase at a Janitorial supply?

Central Florida Orlando area
Hire a professional!!! By the time you rent the equipment and read all the DAP, a pro can have it done, hand you an invoice, you write the check and be done!

Reactions: Cleanworks

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Thanks for your contribution Apparently that's not something that I'm looking to do for my own small area, If this was for a customer, then Yes, Absolutely that's what I'd do.
I was wondering how long it would take before I got this type of response:hopeless:
again, thanks for your input and response as well.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I,
Thanks for your contribution Apparently that's not something that I'm looking to do for my own small area, If this was for a customer, then Yes, Absolutely that's what I'd do.
I was wondering how long it would take before I got this type of response:hopeless:
again, thanks for your input and response as well.
I understand totally, and not being crass. I just know it’s a minimum for
pro, which mine is $250. I’m sure it would be a little more in Florida. But go for it. I’m just trying to make sense out of it.

MtPockets

Name
Dino
I didn't know how to take it at first Rider, Then I was going to ask what the going rate was just incase I decide to. I take pride in every job and project that I do. Whether building furniture or providing a service for my customers craftsmanship and quality are tops,
I'd like to sit back with a cold one when I finish putting shop back together and admire my completed project without labeling myself as a 50%er.. lol

So basically materials to finish will run about the same as having a Pro come out to do it for me?

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
would it be a good idea to squeeze a bead of silicone around the perimeter?
The drywall is touching the floor (big No, NO moisture can wick up drywall) If their is any chance of water running on the floor then absolutely.

Reactions: J Scott W
Name
Matt Ross
Yes put cove base in. By the time you rent a scrubber you will be in it for some $. Wouldnt hurt to call around and get some prices. Just tell them your sq ft and new tile. I take pride in doing many things myself too, but this isn't one of those things that is very rewarding. It's just having the right stuff and some experience.
On the other hand, in the future you will have to strip and rewax it from time to time, so it might be nice to know how to do it. You could find a 175rpm floor scrubber on craigslist for the same cost as renting one. They dont usually ware out. Then you could take care of it for years to come.

Reactions: J Scott W

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Good to know Matt, I'll check out CL. Whats another machine in the shop anyways...haha

They're concrete block walls

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Hello again,
I've been a bit swamped with work lately, I came across a used buffer that's for sale and was wondering if this may be a good deal to buy and to hold onto vs renting at $37 4 hrs each time I may need it.
the guys selling it is asking $150

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181202-195901_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20181202-195901_Gallery.jpg
    577.7 KB · Views: 301

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Tornado brand has been around "forever"

If it runs, and the drive block (the large round removable piece under the machine that holds the pad) is in good shape, it's worth $150
Offer him $100 see if he bites

lemmie back up a bit
do you know what RPM it is?
175 rpm is best for scrubbing and striping
Higher rpm is better for polishing maintenance

..L.T.A.

Reactions: MtPockets

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Yeah. I asked if that was the best he can do , as far as price goes and says he can't go any lower, as he paid over $1k for it, and that it runs as if it's still brand new, no problems. I'm sure I'll get it down to $125.

its 175

MtPockets

Name
Dino
That's what I like to hear. Thanks again. Looks like It'll have a new owner tomorrow. Ill have to polish her up some too.. Jeez.. lol
I tried looking them up in used cond. however I couldn't find any, was hoping that was a good thing, as people like to hold onto them

MtPockets

Name
Dino
Well I'm struggling to get ahold of this guy today.
I've also found a Nacecare NS17 175 rpm. person has ALL the Brushes and pads and asking $200

but not sure if I can use it on VCT though. Guys? whaddah say

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Well I'm struggling to get ahold of this guy today.
I've also found a Nacecare NS17 175 rpm. person has ALL the Brushes and pads and asking $200

but not sure if I can use it on VCT though. Guys? whaddah say
The nacecare is a good machine. You can use on hard floors or carpets depending on what brushes or pads you are using. Sounds like a good deal. Offer him $150, see what he says.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom