Never mind.

Name
Peter Hewel
We have been knocking ourselves out for many years doing commercial carpet and janitorial cleaning. While the work has been fairly steady, since 2011, the rates have not budged even a penny. We find ourselves working for essentially minimum wage the past year or so.
Residential has been a nightmare. Advertising at $500 per month or more gets us about $200 worth of clicks that lead to no contact, another $200 worth of fraud from one or two competitors I consider mentally ill. About $100 worth of clicks that lead to perhaps $1,000 worth of work. You can't spend half your sales on advertising. We find most carpet to be <$2 per sf builder's grade crap some cheapskate want's cleaned. It is generally trashed. Residential is just not our focus at all.
Our bright spot has always been area rugs. I find my hourly rate to be more like $25-35 per hour and we are very careful with our advertising as to stay below the radar of competitors.
I am about to undertake a 250+ piece mailing for wholesale accounts. Then follow up with cold call personal visits about a week later. I don't want to get into specifics of who my targets are, but I will say where they are. About 150 in Putnam, Rockland and Westchester counties in NY. About 100 in Bergen and Passaic counties in NJ. I have a list of about another 100 NJ targets who will launch a month later after the first batch. This includes parts of Essex, Morris, Hudson and a little bit of Sussex counties. I have more distant plans for NYC that may not launch until late 2019 or 2020. Yes, I know Rug Renovating can squash me like a bug... but this little bug is a survivor, maybe not thriving...
The point is, I have to get off the driveway and out of the portable garage. The volume is going to grow, or 2019 will be my last year cleaning.
My secret weapon is rapid cleaning of synthetic rugs, one that might be $3-5 per sf in purchase price. I call it "Mexican Artillery" and it is not up for public discussion. Nor are my water saving devices or any other techniques I have been developing to increase efficiency and lower costs.
While one makes a lot more money on cleaning wool rugs that cost $20-40+ per sf, there is a huge number of cheap rugs. As for tufted rugs, I have very little good to say about them. I'm the one who breaks the news to the client that they are essentially disposable.
I am also a rug dealer online. That business just started six months ago, and that is not necessarily part of the deal, the margins are really good. If I leave the cleaning business, I will have time to grow rug sales.

If this is of interest, we can arrange an in person meeting in any of the areas I just mentioned. Thanks.

Peter Hewel

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
Agree you aren't cut out for the Cleaning Business.
Also agree that your online rug sales have potential.
Apparently there is a market for Mexican Artillery...what ever that is. Viscose in Chinese and is everywhere now. Best of luck.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree with Fred, get a regular job and continue cleaning if you still desire to.

None of your listed options sound like they are solid choices.
Residential isn't panning out, selling rugs is a hit and miss at best as a startup and buying or leasing is going to take a large volume to pay that overhead.

Last edited:

FredC

Village Idiot
before anyone thinks I'm just an asshole

our friend peter here has been going around the internet for years listing all the excuses he could find for not succeeding

5 years ago he was putting his sandia sniper on ebay and quitting....I guess he didn't find a buyer

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

our friend peter here has been going around the internet for years listing all the excuses he could find for not succeeding

5 years ago he was putting his sandia sniper on ebay and quitting....I guess he didn't find a buyer
That's not why we think you're an asshole. šŸ˜‰

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
sounds like the work is steady because the rates are so low.

Thats one reason I dont chase commercial work is I just cant compete with guys like you.

Name
Peter Hewel

Well if the shoe fits. Amazing how obsessed you are with me. Some kind of sick stalker?

Name
Peter Hewel
Agree you aren't cut out for the Cleaning Business.
Also agree that your online rug sales have potential.
Apparently there is a market for Mexican Artillery...what ever that is. Viscose in Chinese and is everywhere now. Best of luck.
It is a blend of ionic and anionic surfactants with enzymes. Nothing more, nothing less.
Not cut out? Want to elaborate?
The rug sales are actually about 75% Turkish PP or PL.

Name
Peter Hewel
I agree with Fred, get a regular job and continue cleaning if you still desire to.

None of your listed options sound like they are solid choices.
Residential isn't panning out, selling rugs is a hit and miss at best as a startup and buying or leasing is going to take a large volume to pay that overhead.
Well janitorial and commercial has become a sick joke controlled by brokers. NY has a high minimum wage, but PA is not too far away and still $7.25 per hour. I know for a fact there are cleaning companies paying $7.25-7.50 per hour to people in desperate need of employment, taking them across state lines where even NJ is higher and still paying PA minimum wage because the worker is either stupid, desperate or doesn't care. I figured labor costs when I said to an account that I would attempt to match a price. It was a PA firm. As best as I can estimate, the labor rate was about $9.50 per hour for the work, so if they pay $7.50 per hour, that means $2.00 per man hour for the company. I legally can't pay less that $11.10 per hour as an employer in this state, giving out of state companies a huge advantage, even if what they are doing is both immoral and illegal. I understand, business is business. Screw everyone you can until someone makes a fuss. Fix it, then go back to screwing everyone. In this market, residential carpet is much more low end than other floor coverings. I already am a bottom feeder. I don't want to compete too much as a bottom feeder for something else.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

FredC

Village Idiot
Well if the shoe fits. Amazing how obsessed you are with me. Some kind of sick stalker?

For what it is worth, I am an Authorized Sandia/Mecury dealer. I've sold 5-6 units per year since 2013 on eBay.
My stalker does not know me as well as he thinks. Yes, I have stated from time to time this is a rough business to be in. I know this first hand. I am man enough to admit it is hard. There are some bullshit artists who like to brag. I don't know or care about FredC's motivation to immediately discredit me to the best of his ability, but Freddie, you loser, you fail, again!

so its all a ploy to sell 5 sandias a year...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikey P
Name
Peter Hewel
A final though for the night for FredC. If this is somehow personal for you that, you must attack me, why don't you meet me someplace where we can settle this like REAL MEN. I would enjoy that. I really hate little whining weasels like you, so for me it be such a pleasure. Otherwise STFU you POS.,

FredC

Village Idiot
lol

I just didn't want anybody here going broke with you...nothing personal

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A final though for the night for FredC. If this is somehow personal for you that, you must attack me, why don't you meet me someplace where we can settle this like REAL MEN. I would enjoy that. I really hate little whining weasels like you, so for me it be such a pleasure. Otherwise STFU you POS.,
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. When I read your initial post, that's exactly what I thought. A whiny weasel. Have the balls to set realistic prices and then back it up with quality work. Low ball prices like yours hurt everyone in the industry. Sounds like you have too many fingers in too many pies. They will only get stickier the more you do that. Find one or two things you do well and stick to it. Or get a real job.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No need for unprovoked threats just because someone doesn't agree with your plan.

Fred is actually giving you more leeway here than he has to. You're calling out the one person that manages this board. I'd tread lightly if I were you.

Reactions: Walrus Gumboot
Name
Peter Hewel
No need for unprovoked threats just because someone doesn't agree with your plan.

Fred is actually giving you more leeway here than he has to. You're calling out the one person that manages this board. I'd tread lightly if I were you.
Fred started this pissing match with unprovoked comments about me personally. If that's who runs this board, I certainly don't need it. Fred is full of shit and I have called him out on it. I have to defend my choices and mistakes to no one. I am merely trying to change course from a tough, unwinnable situation. Fred had no right to drag me through the muck.

Name
Peter Hewel
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. When I read your initial post, that's exactly what I thought. A whiny weasel. Have the balls to set realistic prices and then back it up with quality work. Low ball prices like yours hurt everyone in the industry. Sounds like you have too many fingers in too many pies. They will only get stickier the more you do that. Find one or two things you do well and stick to it. Or get a real job.
No. Not whining. Don't even want sympathy for past choices and past mistakes. I am trying to start in a fresh direction. Trying to find someone who may want to be part of that, because honestly going alone is not the best idea. Nothing more, nothing less.

F

FB7777

If it's a partnership you are seeking, what do you bring to the table?

What's in it for the other party?

Sounds like you need money or want to share rental space

Reactions: Cleanworks
Name
Peter Hewel
If it's a partnership you are seeking, what do you bring to the table?

What's in it for the other party?

Sounds like you need money or want to share rental space
Actually don't need money, but do need to share rental space. I am willing to put up all money, I have a home equity line of credit that should easily cover my costs. To be honest, my wife is the big money maker in this house, by a long shot.

F

FB7777

Jimmy prefers bus stations , bring the cloud with you

IMG_0586.JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Hudson Valley Rugs

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
1x0=0, 2x0 still equals 0. I don't see how you can attract a partner until you get your act together. Forget about selling machines, dump your money losing accounts. Focus on what makes you money. The rug business can be lucrative. Takes training, equipment and a place to do it. Better to have people dropping rugs off to you than running around picking them up. Sit down and put your plans on paper. A partner wants to pair with someone who is already successful, not to bail out someone who is not. Not raising your prices in 8 years is ridiculous. How much more are you paying in expenses today than you were 8 years ago? There will always be someone cheaper, no matter how low you go. Think about how much you need to make a profit and use that to formulate your pricing structure.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Wow, the OP was really hard for me to read on a woman-like emotional level. I feel bad for you. Especially If you're stuck and have worked for years and never raised your prices. I know it's scary, but you gotta do it to stay viable. There will always be a lower priced hack out there. Don't compete to be the lowest priced guy. Compete to be the best. Do what other won't or can't. I'm telling you, it isn't that hard. There is some ridiculous competition (or lack of) out there. Yes, it may be scary, but you gotta push yourself and test new ground. You're going to go broke working and running your business for minimum wage.

I like to let my competition fight over the low priced cheapo's. Let them spin their wheels with their 35 blowers and portys. Yes, I've lost plenty of customers by raising my prices, but not one of them was I sad to see go. I replaced them with quality over quantity. Get your head clear and start mining for better customers. The rest will fall into place.

I'm no big-wig company. Just a small guy trying to grow my small company. But I have learned from the best how to grow and make a profit. Not raising prices year after year is a huge mistake. At the very minimum you need to pace inflation of 2% per year. I would start off by an immediate 15% increase in all your pricing and work from there going higher with new clients. DO IT!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom