Needs advise buying a pressure washer

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I need a pressure washer for non commercial use. More like a few paintings jobs a year and some deck, concrete cleanings. It needs to be dependable and sturdy but not heavy duty commercial expensive machine. Thinking about $400 range.
There is the Home Depot Husky with a Honda engine, Lowes has Troy Built with a Briggs and Stratton engine. Or maybe there is another manufacturer that I am not familiar with.

Any advise regarding what to buy and which machines are better will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Ofer

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I would try to find a used commercial power washer. The carp you buy at home depot is only made to last 40-75 hours.

R

rotovacguy

ACE said:
I would try to find a used commercial power washer. The carp you buy at home depot is only made to last 40-75 hours.

Exactly. Most of the stuff at Home "Cheapot" is slapped together junk.

Get something that will allow you to at least change the oil, or rebuild the pump when necessary. Pretty much all of those cheaper brands are sealed units. In other words, once they go, and they WILL go, they're useless....throw them out.

I bought a Husky pressure washer from that dump several years ago, used it maybe a dozen times on yard jobs, my deck, my vehicle, and it's already junk. 40-75 hours is about right, as mine was lucky to have 40 hours on it, if even. Those "cheaper" units are actually more expensive then if you just get a better unit right from the start. I didn't even let the thing freeze, it was always in the house during the cold months, and I never ran hot water or chemicals through it.....it's just cheap crap. Now keep in mind, mine was an electric unit that I used for light duty just around my house.....maybe the gas units are better, idk.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
two ways to look at, Kof1

$400 won't get you much.
Matter of fact, that price gets you a expensive "cheap" model.
If you're going that route, just spend $300 on a 2600psi 2.5gpm model
Cause it won't be any better or worse than a $400 POS
Both will have junk pumps as mentioned.

Step up to the $500-$700 range and you'll get a better "value" IMO
Karcher and DeWalt make a couple in that price range.
Both with rebuildable pumps.
I think Karcher uses a General pump.
The DeWalts I've seen had Cat pumps.

Lastly, One I saw last week at HD for $499 looked interesting.
It's a "special buy" promo.
has a Cat pump.
I can't recall the rating, but think it was in 3000psi @ 3gpm
Frame looked beefy and robust.
The only thing I didn't like about it was the Chinese built Subaru/Robbins motor.

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Thank you for the replies, very helpful and informative.
I did not know about the different pumps and rebuilding them etc.
I guess for now I'll just buy a cheap one and if I need a better one for more serious use, I'll look for the features you mentioned.

Thank you. I appreciate both your time and the advise.
Ofer

G

Last year I bought a Troy Built 3000 psi Pressure washer from Lowes; Mainly for T&G; Well I have more than recovered $399 price tag by above 10k. I may have put 1000 hrs on this machine and still start on 1st pull. I had someone call me 3 weeks ago with the same question; He wanted to get into commercial pressure washing and said he would like a machine that could push 8 plus gallons of water per min. He then told me he wanted to target convience stores, gas stations, Shop Centers, and Walmarts as possible customers.
Now if my company can do this kind of work with a small machine why can't george the idiot that wants a 38k pressure washing rig!!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rjfdube said:
Now if my company can do this kind of work with a small machine why can't george the idiot that wants a 38k pressure washing rig!!

probably because he doesn't want to run 200ft of hose on a Recoil.
and YOU'RE the idiot if you think your friend would be well served with a POS home owner pressure washer for his planned target market

do you even know any full time pro pressure washer dudes and how they operate?
My guess is no

..L.T.A.

Greenie

If it's just for farting around the house, buy what you feel comfy with, if it's for a PAYING gig, I'd just rent a 3500psi unit with 13hp and use it for the day, or 1/2 day, they aren't that expensive and provide proper 3/8" hose, and lance. Then you will ahve an idea of return on investment means, and you being a sharp businessman, will probably buy a professional unit and cut your time in half on these jobs. a 4000 psi, 5 gpm unit is a serious money maker....just not one man lift off the truck friendly.

If you do any amount of "flat" work, you'll be looking at a nice 16" or 18" spinner whirly bird concrete cleaner, you don't want to try and wand out all that flat with a 40 deg white tip on a lance....trust me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom