My best advice............

Dont think of yourself as just a carpet cleaner. If all you do day in and day out is clean carpet then you are working way to hard and should just QUIT.

My average total sales in carpet cleaning is around 45%. With 55% from Water , repairs and ect.. I only clean carpet so i can build there trust and in many cases you cant keep any account worth while if all u do is clean.

My daily dose of " Information U Dont Deserve "

Remember im after your customers so treat them right or a real pro will sweep them of there check book.

<----------------- See that boy (AKA, Junior or Boo Boo or pampers ). I found him 3 days before X-mas 2007 around midnight. And i was on my way to a water extraction. Just thought i would add that, sorry if your ' i really dont care ' button was pushed .

CleanEvo

I worked for the largest restoration contractor in Western Canada for a few years.

I love being a carpet cleaner!

You would think the largest restoration company would push calling employes carpet restoration technicians. Sounds better.

Oh and i love my job but would leave my wife in a second to only do water retoration. Dont tell her that though.

CleanEvo

They had all kinds of fancy titles. I had several of them.

My point was that I hate restoration work and love being just a carpet cleaner.

WANDMASTER3

i work for servicemaster ,im a "carpet tech" which means carpet ,upholstery, tile, strip and wax, area rugs and water damage retoration.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
lancehollister said:
Dont think of yourself as just a carpet cleaner. If all you do day in and day out is clean carpet then you are working way to hard and should just QUIT...
That seems just a tad harsh, Lance ... oh, but wait a minute, this is mikeysboard so it's OK. :)

I will agree that when I examined the three main market sectors we worked in and really put the pencil to our true costs and net profit off each job this is what we found:

a) High priced, premium residential- At best we barely broke even on the first time customer after factoring in the marketing and inspecting costs of the job. Profit obviously improved as we "trained" the repeat customer and especially if we moved him/her into our residential "Stay Beautiful" maintenance program.

b) Regular contract commercial work- Much better consistent profit margins and cash flow. Bad hours but that is why there is something called "employees".

c) Restoration work- Especially on water losses the net profit would be off the charts and often with fast pay too. There is no question that Restoration has created more millionaires than any other part of our industry. BUT ...

"Quit" if you just don't want to do either "b" or "c"? Not so fast. That is what is so great about this business. There is room for everyone. However, you do need to adapt and mold your business depending on what your goals are. For example, I see way too many owner-operators trying to compete head to head on pricing with the "big boys". This is a sure way to at best a high stress, lower income "job" and with an aching back on top of it!

However, an owner-operator who makes a reasoned decision to stay small CAN be successful if he or she:

a) Develops loyal, long term and very vocal Cheerleaders who view being his "chosen" clients as almost becoming members of a very exclusive club (I think there is one of those in Aptos, CA) and ...
b) Raises his prices dramatically to reflect the above exclusivity and ...
c) Sinks ALL of these "excess profits" into a regular and consistent Personal Investment Plan to provide for his retirement and ...
d) Buys really good disability and life insurance and ...
e) Feels good about his life and doesn't feel inferior because he has chosen a different road to success.

My early Saturday morning thoughts on a great industry with huge potential that sometimes we don't appreciate enough.

Steve "Island Boy" Toburen
http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS For those who have not stopped by please check out a new "information portal" web site we have recently put up. http://www.StrategiesForSuccess.com is our attempt to bring many of our SFS concepts and tools to those of you who can't quite break away for five days to attend an actual Strategies for Success seminar. But we'll keep chipping away at you!

And yes, Marty, before you bust my chops the entire site is free and there are no high pressure sales pitches. We don't even have a way to take your payment on the site. (It made life a lot simpler developing the web-site.) Everything is free with no-strings-attached and heck- it is even covered by Jon-Don's famous "no pathetic weaseling out", no-questions-asked, 100% money-back guarantee!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The better we become, the more we all make...Right Steve.

You didn't mention diversification of the carpet cleaner...a little with type of job but not other services on jobs.

I don't believe you can grow by just offering carpet cleaning alone.
By just adding tile and grout cleaning to the menu, it shot my business through the roof. I do little flood damage jobs and about 15% commercial but the different services is where I make my money.

It's old news that protectant, upholstery, doedorizer, package deals help make you money but Tile and grout, carpet repair, auto detail, maid service, lawn maintenance, window cleaning, air duct and dryer vent cleaning etc.
will increase your bottom line if you can swing it.
I am talking to everyone, trying to find companies that will sub for some of these services and I am having some luck.
I am separating some things from my cc company, refering out some services untill I get comfortable with the quality of it and generally just trying to take over the world...so to speak...there is room at the top.

I would suggest anyone here to at least offer two services that you can do (upsale) while in the custys house.
Increasing your average ticket is the key.
50 jobs a month at $150.00 is $7,500.00
50 jobs a month at $200.00 is $10,000.00....and how much harder would you have worked, saved travel time, didn't have to "Buy" a new customer etc.

I looke back at every month and think, "crap, if I just could of increased each invoice by 50 bucks...it's like free money....but the curse is, you can always say that, no matter what.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
lancehollister said:
Around 50 jobs a week with an average of 75.00.

$3,750.00

Ad a $25.00 upsale

$5000.00

I know you can find something to do or sell for an extra $25.00.

I sound like a pimp. Good lord.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
lancehollister said:
Around 50 jobs a week with an average of 75.00.
Well, Lance, at least you are in good shape. That is a lot of set-ups per week!

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS Every market is different, Lance. BUT what would happen if you raised your average price to 125.00? Let's say you lose 30% of the bottom feeders of your client base. So now you are at 35 customers per week @ 125.00 for a gross of 4,375.00. 600 bucks more per week and you're a lot less tired/spending less on gas/chemicals plus now you get to see momma and the family awake once in awhile. Something to think on and up to you.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Not to mention all the time saved can be filled with more jobs with that higher ticket and make even more money.

Back
Top Bottom