MIKE BRUMMET BACK FROM THE DEAD biship and travis shill

Willy P

Name
Willy P
is this the same guy that got so pissed off for LOOZING a bid to clean motel rooms that he stalked the other cleaner with a camera

And then ratted him out when his waste tank overflowed..... What a freakin' PETUNIA

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Mike's not a bad guy, he's just hitched his wagon to the wrong group.

If the rug story is true he is kicking my ass on area rugs! I better step it up. :oops:

rhyde

Name
rhyde
ODIN said:
- - - - - - - One Rug - $750 - - - - - - -
Posted By Mike B. on 4/17/2009 at 10:32 PM

In the last year I've had to get an office staff and rent warehouse space to boot. Tomorrow I'm interviwing an additional technician. There is big money in storing these rugs too.

Hard to understand why someone would want to settle for .50 or .60 cents s/f when they could easily make triple that with much lower costs on equipment and all.

looks more like a shill for Jeff Biship and Ruth Travis

I guess his warehouse space and all the stuff to run it , staff, water, heat, electricity, insurace is free….? all at a top price of 1.75 Sq ft.

I like the “Two rare, handmade Persian rugs that we cleaned recently”

http://basiccarpetcare.com/prices.html

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
So Terry, I know you to be an intelligent person, but refresh my memory... how many books have you written about/for/in this industry? Also please list not only your industry credentials, but all the industry positions you've held that were VOLUNTARY (meaning you did all the work for free). Also please list the ones who paid you because you were so knowledgable they felt you were worth it... And while you are at it, how many medals for your military service in war, and in actual combat did you receive?
Other than your for profit equipment, what have you given back to this industry? What have you personally done to better the industry as a whole?
I hear so much criticism, but never see those who whine and cry foul actually get off their butts and do anything about it.
If you have all the answers...Where are they? Teach us, we are eager to learn.

Man it's o.k. to be a hater, but life is a lot nicer if you stop being quite so critical!

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Actually Mikey, I like and respect Terry... But I think he needs to get laid or something... Not every post needs to be negative or derisive.IMHO

And I have nothing to hide... or sell... so I can speak the truth without fear of recourse.

royalkid

Supportive Member
Name
Gulf Coast Carpet Care
well said Thomas...some people just want to point out flaws in others...or knock someone down vs. lifting someone up with a nice word or two. Let's see...brag about own accomplishments, knock others for theirs, hmmm...insecure maybe? Well, it would be even worse if they owned a large truck to compensate...

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Your degree in engineering is not really relevant to carpet cleaning, except for your manufacturing endeavors (and perhaps repairs), now if your masters was in chemistry then it would be somewhat relevant.

Jeff Bishop not only has a lot of little green patches, but wrote many of the manuals that helped others get those patches, and taught them to build and run successful businesses. He has taught Thousands of cleaners across the globe, He's also written more book's for this industry than ANYONE else in the industry.

I'm just saying you should not be so critical of someone who has done a lot to help this become a professional industry. He was helping build this industry long before you ever entered the carpet cleaning world.

P.S.
Pick on the patches, most who have none do... but it shows a dedication to THIS industry... does your masters degree really help you to be a better cleaner?
I'm no "guru", but I like to help others too, and am glad you help others as well.

randy

Name
Randy
Some people have been around long enough ( terry is practically a senior citizen) to spot bullshit when it lands on their head. If you have read a few dozen of Mike's IICRC ass kiss threads, a few of his Pro- SOA threads and his Famous thread on ICS where he obviously had someone else posting with his pass code & under his name, then you understand exactly where T is coming from.

While your at it think about it, how many high end Persian rugs are sold in areas that are primarily agricultural states ? States that currently have high unemployment, record home foreclosures and businesses closing every day ? Add it all together and your reaction to Mike's post would be one of similar disbelief.

Helping your friends fill rug cleaning classes is OK, just stick to the truth. This industry is already seeing lots of families wiped out due to the economic reality of today's world. We don't need new cleaners jumping into a "rug shop dream" based on a bullshit testimonial. Do rugs get cleaned for $3-5 a square, sure just not as many as seminar & class sales folks will infer. Ever ask yourself why are all these " rug shop pros" pursuing other ventures and giving seminars that require travel.

What have you done for the industry ?
What bullshit. Everyone gets into this business, like all businesses to make money NOT PERFORM CIVIC DUTY, HELP OTHERS, OR DO CHARIY. These folks that claim to be doing so much for "the industry" gave us SOA and other assorted scamming bullshit that is designed to make them money. The IICRC was started by Ed York (who latter successfully sued the IICRC) to help the industry, but now it's a different critter, one that a few are using as a vehicle to suck every dollar possible out of cleaners. Anyone that can't see that is beyond help.

Terry has seen more than a few cleaners fall for the industry scammers, and realizes the industry can't afford anymore of their "help".

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Terry, do you use a lot of petrochemicals in carpet cleaning?
You are right in that you may have more education than many other cleaners, and some of that education may relate to carpet cleaning , but then that would make you NOT the average cleaner who needs the education right? So your opinion is askew from the "average" cleaner. You seem to be missing the major point I'm trying to make and skirting the most important part of the post...

1. You could be a lot more helpful if you were less negative!
You post negative about about almost everyone...
Randy is pretty negative too... but doesn't seem to post as much...
I just think you could do better... and as an manufacturer, IMHO
being so negative does not help you.

All this HATING sucks! Sorry this is my opinion and ragging on people like Steve Toburen and Jeff Bishop does not make you bigger or better in my eyes or many others.
You make a few significant contributions to this industry, and your opinions may carry more weight in my eyes... right now your just another "wanna be guru" trying to gain recognition by trashing others! And in my opinion, that is not the way to gain respect in any industry.
Do you trash all your local competition too, rather than sell by your own benefits?
You do not seem to be this negative in person, and I actually point this out trying to help, as like I said origionally,I respect your knowledge but think this negativity is counterproductive.

Mikey P

Administrator
Jeff and Ruthie sip Dom Perignon in first class while they giggle over the rubes with green patches down their sleeves.

Wake me up when Jim and the real Lisa take over the ICCRI

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Odin helped me when I needed skates.

thompson_koulibally.jpg

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
So tell me oh great Mikey. will Jim and Lisa no longer need money when they take over the IICRC... will you personally support them?, will they no longer have a house payment, will the local grociers give them all their food for free?, will the airlines and gas stations beg to give them whatever they want for free? will all their credit card companies not only absolve their current debt, but give them an unlimited cards they never have to make a payment on? Will everyone give them a free ride from that day forward?
NO ...
Duh... I'm sure they will still need a paycheck! We (yes you too Mikey) are all in business to make MONEY. So why do we hate those who make a living in our industry? I believe it is mostly petty jealousy! Jeff, Ruth, Steve, Doyle, and Many others helped blaze the trail that is now an Industry that WE ALL MAKE A LIVING FROM!

Please let me know when you personally Mikey, stop making a single dime from this industry, your company, and this board, and still devote your every waking hour to the betterment of this industry. The same for you Terry... when you start giving your machines away for free, as well as your cleaning, and your mentoring, all from the goodness of your heart... Just let me know and I will post a complete retraction of this post.
Neither one of you are the Mother Theresa of carpet cleaning, why do you then trash everyone else?
Until that time I think you are all very much like all those you hate, and judge without any real knowledge of their motives, you are just not nearly as successful (which is why you complain so much again IMHO)... you make a living off this industry, and those in it, JUST LIKE THEY DO, and who are you to judge their motives to be any better or worse than your own?
It must be so easy to sit on your butt and criticize, and come up with excuses as to why you do nothing to help, but still sell your stuff...and just whine and complain without doing a damn thing to really make one bit of a difference.

Just so I am clear and my motives are transparent, I am just a simple carpet cleaner who tries to give the best service to my customers...after all that is what they pay me for. I love this industry as it has provided for my family for over 30 years. I believe in education, some comes from classrooms, and some (most) from experience. I look up to many of the industry icons and owe my limited success to them. I aspire to become a teacher to help other cleaners have a shorter learning curve and make less mistakes in their career than I have in mine. Does that make me a bad person? Oh... AND I ACTUALLY WILL EXPECT A PAYCHECK IF I AM TO FEED MY FAMILY! Is that simple enough for you?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Terry has character and integrity.

I would piss in a urinal next to him anytime.

THAT!

Takes trust!

:shock:

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
Walrus, I completely agree, that is what makes this entire post so difficult. I have tried to be clear in the fact I like and respect Terry, but on this issue he and I are on opposite sides. I really believe if he put half the effort into helping this industry that he does in trashing it... with his intellect and passion he could really help make some positive changes. I hope that is clear in my posts.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Terry plays devils advocate, and does it really well. Like Mikey, you have to "get" his sense of humor.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
“Randy is pretty negative too... but doesn't seem to post as much...” OK, I’ll accept that.

Tom, I have nothing to sell anyone here no classes, BOOKS, chemicals, associations and gain nothing finically from my posts here or as a mod on the rug hub. Mike Brummett pops up briefly to talk about how profitable his business is and makes what I believe is over the top claims … Mike happens to be a SCRT officer and there’s a SCRT rug class coming up..What a coincidence?
I’m all ears to hear anyone running a plant “make triple that with much lower costs on equipment and all.” With drop off location, cleaning plant ( not their garage) and when you combine and “all”… rent/ mortgage, utilities, insurance, electricity, water, employees, phones, alarm permit, equipment, pay less for these than running a TM..Even a vortex…?

I know several people that invested in the “gold rush” of rug cleaning that aren’t making “the big money”. Don’t get me wrong I’ve been cleaning rugs for 20 years and have owned a specialty rug cleaning plant for 10+ years. Yes, you can make money cleaning rugs but there’s substantially more costs when a guy gets out of a garage which for a owner operator is the profit potential. When it’s taken beyond that level to a standalone shop it’s much more costly which must be made up by volume and or price. Phil’s web site he lists out a monthly and annual cost of a small rug plant actually his cost are conservative for my part of the country at 10,700 a month its low for a 3 person operation.

http://www.orientalrugcleaningschool.co ... 20Plan.htm

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Great post Randy. FAR too many people just don't the cost of doing business. I have to put the first $2600 in the bank to cover costs and then I get a % after that. And I'm a POG with everything paid for. Licenses, insurance, Workers Comp., fuel, chemicals, repairs, and all the other costs take a big chomp out of gross income.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
3 people operation for 10k a month? I agree with that Randy that is pretty low. Just my payroll would be more than that for 3 people a month inc benefits. In our cleaning and repair plant we have about 18-20 full timers inc pu & delivery and counter sales staff. Got to have lots of volume, or as randy said very high prices once you get out of the garage.

Ken

harryhides

Name
Tony
Just one simple question for Tom to consider ;

Why do suppose that the rules for being an approved iicrc Rug instructor were changed so that she met the rules and doesn't it strike you as a bit suspect that she was one of only two grandfathered in, rug Instructors You do realize that for anyone else to get "approved" that they have to have the co-operation of one of those two. Lisa Wagner is still not an approved Rug Instructor. The fewer competing Instructors for a class, the better for those that are.
There is tons of that sort of crap that has been going on for years.
Sorry to disappoint.

The bulk of that the rug class format and contents was copied from the much older and comprehensive ASCR Rug class.
Most of the work done for the iicrc is done by unpaid volunteers.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
rhyde:

I agree with your points, having run a company that used an in plant machine for years, and having personally cleaned tens of thousands of area rugs, I do not think "just anyone" with a 2-3-5 day class is any where near qualified to clean oriental rugs. ( see my earlier post on the "master" rug cleaning course post a few months ago too). My problem was with the negativity of the post period. I'm not going to keep repeating my view on Terry, I think I've made that point.
If you want my opinion on the "rug" craze, it is just that a craze... that will probably end up screwing the guys who think that 1 class and no real world experience make them an Expert! It's easy to "sell", buy the value is dubious. You all know I value education and certification.... but many seem to forget I back that classroom stuff (and boy scout patches) up with 31 years real world experience.

th_00_G.jpg
th_Minifest1_115.jpg
th_Minifest1_118.jpg
th_Minifest1109.jpg
th_Minifest1060.jpg
th_Minifest1067.jpg
th_Minifest1_075.jpg

These particular pic's were at the minifest hosted in Ohio, but my brother and I ran that company for years, and we consulted for them as well as did the area rug dye repairs for 10 years after we left their employ.
I personally attended the Area rug class the year before it became an "approved" IICRC class, and thought it was very basic, and a recipe for disaster for those without real world experience.
On the other hand, I have lots of those boy scout patches too, and the classroom experience did make me a better and more knowledgable technician, and made it easier to put my customers at ease.
So before you judge me, at least understand my background and experience. ( in the pic's I'm the guy in the grey t-shirt demonstrating for everyone else)

th_TuesdayFebruary172009.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom