MDF

Connor

Name
Connor
This is a great and much needed tip. I see damaged mdf in bathrooms all the time.

ProTip: denatured alcohol makes clean up a snap.
Take a small Tupperware sandwich box and place a sponge inside it. You may have to cut it to fit. Pour denatured alcohol in the box until the sponge is saturated, but not sloshing in the box. When you do your finger-wipe to smooth your bead, wipe your finger on the alcohol drenched sponge and keep moving. This will save a lot of towels from being ruined.

Connor

Name
Connor
Real wood usually has sharper ridges and lines. Mdf will have smoother bull nosed edges. Most new houses have that cheap mdf. MDF baseboards are often taller and thicker, too.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Marty, in all due respect to your region, which is also the place of my ancestors, I can't imagine there is much there that isn't MDF, except in antebellum mansions.

Tile and grout cleaners swell it often, but for whatever reason don't often get in trouble for it. Perhaps people don't notice unless its severe.

There are certain things I've found when I visit peoples' homes socially:

1. Most carpets have resoiled quickly after cleaning.

2. Most upholstery has water marks around the piping and skirts after cleaning.

3. Most MDF baseboard is distorted after tile and grout cleaning.

I've learned not to point it out, as I hate to get people I like in trouble.

Reactions: Connor and Mikey P

FredC

Village Idiot
Doing WDR work it was a rarity to see real wood baseboards ...... most of those were the 3.5 inch in old ranches

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Better to point it out before hand than to be accused of it after.

I was talking about people who I visit socially outside of my work as a cleaning product trainer/supplier. I see the work of my customers from time to time, and its more than disappointing.

I can't believe I actually have a social life, as unhappy as I am to actually talk to people when I don't have to, but some misguided people actually invite me into their homes.

They probably have a hidden camera on me and are using it for some sort of psychological study about antisocial hermits....

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Real wood usually has sharper ridges and lines. Mdf will have smoother bull nosed edges. Most new houses have that cheap mdf. MDF baseboards are often taller and thicker, too.

For the last ten years or better they make all style of trim in stain grade real wood, fingerjoint paint grade, and mdf and it is more difficult to Identify but if you look close there are differences.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
One of my rental properties....

Yeah, its my fault. Years ago, but mine. I never looked for it until I stopped by there today.

mdf.jpg

Reactions: J Scott W

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Screw loose behind the SX12.

Seriously, had to strip off layers of vct finish from prior owner when I bought it in 2003. I just didn’t pay attention. Will be replacing these and sealing after this oinker moves out.

Not easy to confess, but a cautionary tale for cleaners who ignore the issue.

Reactions: Nomad74
F

FB7777

When we remodeled our house on Cape cod in December we installed a Lifeproof vinyl plank and ran Composite PVC colonial mounding

Looks great and won't crack warp or swell

Matt and I try to speed dry all tile jobs... but I guarantee we marginally swell MDF

It's weird that Marty has seen it.... most double wides we clean don't even have base mounding

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom