Mac or IBM

Brett

Anybody using the new iMac's? My IBM XP crashed again from virus's and I'm thinking about switching. How many of you are using Macs and have you had any serious hardware or software problems?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I've been using both for years.

I find for most personal use, I prefer my Macs. But your decision as to whether a Mac will suffice is wholly dependent on the applications to which you are beholden. Now, while you can certainly go with a dual OS solution, that a Mac offers, you may find that if you have to do that you might just as well use a PC for those operations, to keeps costs down.

Alot of what I do I can do on my Mac, and it is what I use at home most exclusively. However our company uses POS (Point of sale) software for which there is no Mac solution, so it is PC's all around here. And my position in IT keeps me busy.

p.s. To answer your one question quite specifically. Not all has been roses with my Macs. I was having a crashing problem with a new Macbook I bought in April. It turned out to be a defective logic board. The Apple store replaced the computer at no charge, with very little hassle.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I'll keep kicking this horse...

If you spend as much on a PC as you would on a Mac, the PC will run circles around the Mac. Most PC problems can be traced not to the software, but the crappy hardware inside the low-ball PC that most people buy. Spend half as much on a PC and you'll have a fine machine that will be just as good for business applications. If you do a web search on Apple reliability, you'll find the failure rate for Apple products is exactly average for the computer industry, not a good thing when they're some of the more expensive machines on the market. Once out of warranty, the typical Apple response to problems is to tell you to buy a new one. No matter what the cultists say, there are bugs in Apple programs. My last Mac and I-Pod downloaded bug fixes and security upgrades constantly. (I think program support is good; I don't understand why anyone complains about free fixes.)

On the other hand, if you're interested in running professional graphics or music programs, spend the money and get a Mac. Apple provides really sweet applications for artists. Get the extended warranty.

PS: Get an anti-virus program that isn't a free download. Amazing how well they work.

CleanFreak.com

Supportive Member
Name
CleanFreak.com
I absolutely love my Macs. I have 2 at home, but use PCs at the office. Both are great, but I would definitely invest in a Mac if you are doing any type of graphic work. Plus they seem to run for forever with little maintenance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom