jezeeeeeeeeee

Cameron1

This is an e-mail that my office Mgr. sent me today. It is in regards to a flood job that we completed and are trying to get paid for.

Duane did call back and they already have a check from the insurance company for $3,900.00, however he wants Steve to discount the invoice as he feels the price for the WD is more than it should be and the check will not cover our invoice and the restoration expenses. I was suprised that he commented to me that "people like us arrive at his 3 million dollar home and bump up the invoice just because he can pay it." I explained that we do not operate that way and would have been happy to deal directly with the adjuster before the claim was settled and that I would pass the request for a discount to Steve and we would be back in touch.

The part that makes me mad is that they are repeat clients, and left to go on a three week vacation while we were drying the place out.

Now, I got to figure out how to handle this................................any suggestions?

Oops, I left out the last part of the conversation.

Despite the comment from him the conversation ended on a positive note and he did compliment our work.

harryhides

Name
Tony
steve said:
This is an e-mail that my office Mgr. sent me today. It is in regards to a flood job that we completed and are trying to get paid for.

Duane did call back and they already have a check from the insurance company for $3,900.00, however he wants Steve to discount the invoice as he feels the price for the WD is more than it should be and the check will not cover our invoice and the restoration expenses. I was suprised that he commented to me that "people like us arrive at his 3 million dollar home and bump up the invoice just because he can pay it." I explained that we do not operate that way and would have been happy to deal directly with the adjuster before the claim was settled and that I would pass the request for a discount to Steve and we would be back in touch.

The part that makes me mad is that they are repeat clients, and left to go on a three week vacation while we were drying the place out.

Now, I got to figure out how to handle this................................any suggestions?

Shouldn't you be asking one of those "ethical services" gurus how to ethically handle this ?
Looks to me like a lose, lose situation.

Just tell that cracker that you use exactimate pricing, cus that's what the insurance Companies go by.

TimP

You have to explain that your prices aren't pulled out of thin air and that you go by a going rate that is established with insurance companies. And that the insurance companys pay for the loss except for their deductable.

I don't understand why a home owner thinks they have the right to know how much something should costs to do.

If they don't have insurance you still need to point out what the going rate is and that you aren't over charging.

Only you can decide if you think you should give a discount, you aren't in the business of charity.

Knowledge and experience and liability to handle a water loss is something they can't fathom for sure.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Most likely the insurance company handed him a check and told him you would accept it. You know from being in the restoration biz that the first thing an insurance comapny does is try to get people to accept less than they should rightfully get, which is why you bill the insured and not the insurance company. The insurance company, if they value their customers at all, will compensate the insured for the full amount of the restoration. They will always "give it a shot" to see if they screw people first.

Let him know you've checked your time and materials and the pricing is accurate. He will have to talk to his insurance company about reimbursing him for the true cost of the restoration.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Tell them you would like the adjusters number so you can see why he shorted your invoice (I doubt he did), then listen as the stumble all over themselves.

Basically you're screwed, they have your money and it's bargain time. You can go legal with them but as you and I'm sure they know, that will cost you too and more than likely you'll settle for less plus attorney's fees.

See what they want and make some kind of compromise.

This story is very similar to cleaning an oriental area rug. :roll:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
If this is the first time this has happened you are lucky. Like Richard said negotiate the best you can and in the future get payment COD, or even better before you start the job if dealing direct with homeowner.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Steve discount it for now but.................catch him down the road...wink wink.

Ed

Name
Ed Prevost
LIEN his three million dollar home. When you deal with insurance companies every freakin day like we do, you get wise to their tactics and you learn the hot buttons that will make them jump. This situation sounds like a cheap ass homeowner to me, more than the ins. co. What Richard said would probably be the best route to take, but if you are a ill nature ahole like me, just pop that intent to lien letter in the mail, certified tommorow morning. Or, call the insurance company and inform them of what's going on and that you are about to lien their policy holder's home. Sometimes this will get them to give the policy holder a call and persuade them to let go of your dough. Have them explain that you bill was in line with industry pricing, that is why they paid it. I'm sure you got a statement of satisfaction signed, so there is no quality or workmanship issues, just the home onwer being greedy. I've found that being a nice guy when things get to this point doesn't matter. Whether you compromise or stick to your guns, you probably won't be dealing with this customer anymore. If I compromise, I don't work for them again out of principle. If I stick to my guns, they get pissed and I don't work for them anymore. 2 roads, same destination.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
If you got a contract signed before you started :? , stick to your pricing. If you don't, they will think you ripped them off. If you didn't, get your attorney to draw up a good contract, and don't start any work until it is signed. :wink:

diamond brian

Small claims court. If you have a valid contract, it will be a very simple and easy to win. No need for an attorney.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Repeat clients that complemented the work.

Have a friendly discussion with them.

If the customer doesn't have a history of trying to bargain down cleaning invoices, he will likely pay the bill if Steve tells him there are no secret extra insurance charges.

Since the homeowner already has a short check from the insurance company, I'll still assume the insurance company is the stinker here. Good insurance adjusters have almost completely died out in favor of those that take advantage of insureds that don't know any better.

PS:A personal example:
My wife got hit by an uninsured driver. Our insurance company (Nationwide - 30 years) says take it in, we'll cover it and go after the other driver to get your deductible back.

$5,500 repair estimate, the adjuster tells the body shop that Nationwide will pay $2,500, take it or leave it. The body shop tells us they can't do it for that amount and want the difference from us. We can't find any body shop that will do the repair for less than $5,000.

Nationwide then tells us that "Under our system of valuing cars, your car is only worth $3,500, so minus your deductible $2,500 is the most we'll pay for a repair. Otherwise we'll call it a total, give you a check for $2,500 and take your car. (Blue book value of the car at the time was over $7,000.)
It took two months and letters to the State insurance commisioner to get them to pay for the repair. I then had them pay for two windshield replacments and changed insurance companies.

When faced with a 30 year customer leaving, the weasels shrugged. The adjusters don't get paid to keep customers, only cheat them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom