I was talking to my favorite blind albino carpet cleaner about this very subject today...

Mikey P

Administrator
He asked me how I go about identifying nylons in the different types of polyesters my reply was I don't I treat them all the same I don't see any need for different chemistry it's mostly just a different one stroke or scrubbing gadget but I determined that based on the soil not the fiber type

Wool or plastic wool or plastic...

What do you guys think?

IMG_20190715_214656.jpg

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I can tell a wool by sight just walking in, but I see 1 or 2 most days.

my main prespray that I use on 80% of residential is woolsafe the booster level (peroxide) is not always

If its synthetic and trashed it gets nuked, if its synthetic and not trashed my main prespray is good enough

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Despite my interest in testing being done on uphosltery fabrics, I have not had much interest in identifying the differences in carpet fibers beyond "wool" and "everything else" for the reasons indiciated above.

Until recently......

Its bad enough that idiots are making area rugs out of viscose and lyocell. Now they are making wall to wall carpet with the stuff. If you think polyester and triexta are garbage, wait till you get one of these.

I'm not saying to burn test every carpet; I'm saying to ask some questions when the carpet is within a year or two old, and especially if its had weird reactions to your customers' spotting efforts, or even the spills themselves.

THEN maybe do a burn test.

These are not isolated incidents. I'm getting calls, emails, and texts at least weekly.

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
The only real reason to know what you're cleaning it so you can explain to the customer that crappy performance of her choice in polyester, chemistry wise doesn't make a difference, the ultra flex sauces of today will clean just about anything

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Warrington had a long, boring, useless article on this very subject in Cleanfax. Bloviation at its finest.

Thank you, Marty for bringing my name into this conversation. I live for publicity.

The article focused not on the cleaning procedure for different fibers but on choosing the fabric protector that will provide the protection that a specific fiber would benefit from.

In my days of operating a cleaning business, I found doing a burn test and discussing fiber differences a big marketing advantage. I think it would still be today with so few technicians doing any testing.

If you find no use for the information, OK with me. Leading horse to water and all that.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The only real reason to know what you're cleaning it so you can explain to the customer that crappy performance of her choice in polyester, chemistry wise doesn't make a difference, the ultra flex sauces of today will clean just about anything

I think you might want to have Davis read that article.

Your local horse lovers might not be getting wall to wall viscose or lyocell carpets in the high chaparral any time soon, but you can bet the aging hippie milllionaires in California are dumb enough to have it put in.

Mikey P

Administrator
Thank you, Marty for bringing my name into this conversation. I live for publicity.

The article focused not on the cleaning procedure for different fibers but on choosing the fabric protector that will provide the protection that a specific fiber would benefit from.

In my days of operating a cleaning business, I found doing a burn test and discussing fiber differences a big marketing advantage. I think it would still be today with so few technicians doing any testing.

If you find no use for the information, OK with me. Leading horse to water and all that.

What protector will provide a noticable difference for Polyester?

and by noticeable I mean the customer sees the difference and request it the next time..

steve_64

if a protect only makes our job easier and doesn't help the customer with spot removal, more effective vacuuming, slowing down wear etcetera, I don't have it in me to sell it to them
Try applying protector on that beaten down traffic lane you can't get clean. Brush it in real good and go back and check it in a couple weeks.

It doesn't always work but sometimes it's like magic. And if you get the chance to see it in a year or so for the next cleaning you will really see how much it can help.
.but you're right about the customers perception. Most need to see a significant result or feel its a waste of money.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
if a protect only makes our job easier and doesn't help the customer with spot removal, more effective vacuuming, slowing down wear etcetera, I don't have it in me to sell it to them
If it's properly diluted and properly applied, it makes a huge difference. I had a personal experience with it in my own home years ago. I had nephews visiting form LA and my sister-in-law buys a case of grape pop for them. First can that gets opened gets knocked off the dining room table onto my freshly cleaned and protected carpet. As a professional carpet cleaner, I am thinking to myself, "that'll never come out". I jump up and grab a roll of paper towels and start blotting. Pretty well used up the whole roll but damned if that grape pop didn't all come out. Didn't even have to clean it. I've been a believer ever since. Protector has been the biggest consumer rip off because of unscrupulous carpet cleaners spraying water or whatever but try it in your own home and you will see the difference.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
What protector will provide a noticable difference for Polyester?

and by noticeable I mean the customer sees the difference and request it the next time..

In multiple tests both in lab and in the field, Advanced with Teflon provided better protection against oil than any other protector by far. Polyester and triexta have an affinity for oil. They benefit from protection against oil.

Since polyester does not have dye sites, it does not need dye blockers such as found in Maxim. Polyester also does not need much protection against watery stains since it is almost non-absorbent.

It does need protection from oil. The difference is noticeable.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Your local horse lovers might not be getting wall to wall viscose or lyocell carpets in the high chaparral any time soon, but you can bet the aging hippie milllionaires in California are dumb enough to have it put in.

If I may Jim, a simpler non burning procedure that will lead to as clear conclusions:

Just ask: Was a designer involved in any form or way in the process of choosing your....?

:winky:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
If I may Jim, a simpler non burning procedure that will lead to as clear conclusions:

Just ask: Was a designer involved in any form or way in the process of choosing your....?

:winky:

You got that right Ofer...

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Polyester and polypropylene can be cleaned in much the same way since they're both hard to hurt, and both hold on to oils more than nylon.

The oxi-everything cleaners will take color out of nylon carpet though, and if the customer hasn't noticed the chemical-induced fading you've been lucky.

Type 6 nylon will accept stains more readily than other plastics (Ever wonder why you have more trouble getting coffee out of some carpet? It's type 6) Type 6 is also more easily damaged by oxi-morons, and a leaky fitting will bleach all the color from the area that gets wet.

100% acrylic carpet is rare, but can turn brown in the presence of acids. Treat the "browning" with acid and you get more browning.

So yeah, it's good to know the difference.

Its bad enough that idiots are making area rugs out of viscose and lyocell. Now they are making wall to wall carpet with the stuff. If you think polyester and triexta are garbage, wait till you get one of these.
We cleaned an installed carpet from Stark that was 50/50 rayon/wool. The yarns themselves were blended, so no easy way to tell. It turned yellow as it dried and could not be fixed. The customer information from Stark said it was 100% wool. Sad that a once great company has stooped to cheating customers this way.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
The customer information from Stark said it was 100% wool. Sad that a once great company has stooped to cheating customers this way.

At this point, one would be just as wise to be careful with their products as you would things that come from Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn.

I hope you didn't get nailed on that browning claim. I hope proof of the mislabeling got you off the hook.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Stark refused to pay. This homeowner has more clout than the rest of us put together, so we'll let the homeowner and designer take them down.

My industry associates who coach cleaners to go after the "high end market" often fail to mention the added risk and thus needed skill sets to navigate those murky waters full of wealthy, entitled homeowners, charming but clueless (when it comes to cleaning) designers, and arrogant and unsupportive manufacturers.

Mikey P

Administrator
My industry associates who coach cleaners to go after the "high end market" often fail to mention the added risk and thus needed skill sets to navigate those murky waters full of wealthy, entitled homeowners, charming but clueless (when it comes to cleaning) designers, and arrogant and unsupportive manufacturers.

Do you mean the ones that coach from the comfort of their cozy wash pit never having had the pleasure of running hoses down floors made of obscure rainforest hardwoods and walls with artistic textures and paintwork that rival the Sistine chapel?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Every coach and convention speaker since I first saw Ed York in full fury in 1976 has said that.

There is nothing at all wrong with the exhortation to go for the market.

Its just that few really talk about what it takes not just technically but also in communication and conduct once you get inside of those palaces.

+

Mikey P

Administrator
yep, how many of these gurus have actually stepped foot in a mega mega million dollar home owned by a multi multi billionaire whos collection of rare art includes single pieces worth more than every carpet cleaner's gross income on the planet combined, just waiting for your Cool Cuff to scratch it..

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
yep, how many of these gurus have actually stepped foot in a mega mega million dollar home owned by a multi multi billionaire whos collection of rare art includes single pieces worth more than every carpet cleaner's gross income on the planet combined, just waiting for your Cool Cuff to scratch it..
I cleaned home for a descendent of thomas jefferson, has 2 house east coast and 4 houses in west coast (scottsdale, reno, and 2 in santa cruz cause one is for his wife). Each of his painting according to the house manager is worth more than house itself which must be a cool 2 million each and dates back to 1700s...

Does that count? That house made me nervous. The man that owned it was really nice and really liked us.. but his wife is a different story..

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom