I am on a roll all of the sudden

In the past 72 hours, 3 residential jobs, every one both carpet and upholstery. 2 out of bought fabric protector. Normally it is 1 out of 8-10. The one place was 1/2 carpet half hardwood. Doing a screen and recoat on the hardwood Tuesday. Friday I got a massive strip and wax job on VCT on retail stores, 3 units 6-7,000 sf each. I got even a bigger lead for VCT, probably $14,000 but may have to be done at prevailing wage, which is $31.75 per hour for a journeyman with over 2,000 hours experience. You can pay an apprentice with 0-1,000 hours experience $15.87 per hour. If they are 1,000-2,000 you must pay $21.83 per hour. That may kill the bid for me. The person in charge says 2 companies delivered bids over their budget so far. With labor that high, what do you expect. In 2012, the last time it was done, they had something like 15 bidders for the work. Only 2-3 were qualified and the winner doesn't want to bid it again...

Reactions: Russ T. and Chris A

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
In the past 72 hours, 3 residential jobs, every one both carpet and upholstery. 2 out of bought fabric protector. Normally it is 1 out of 8-10. The one place was 1/2 carpet half hardwood. Doing a screen and recoat on the hardwood Tuesday. Friday I got a massive strip and wax job on VCT on retail stores, 3 units 6-7,000 sf each. I got even a bigger lead for VCT, probably $14,000 but may have to be done at prevailing wage, which is $31.75 per hour for a journeyman with over 2,000 hours experience. You can pay an apprentice with 0-1,000 hours experience $15.87 per hour. If they are 1,000-2,000 you must pay $21.83 per hour. That may kill the bid for me. The person in charge says 2 companies delivered bids over their budget so far. With labor that high, what do you expect. In 2012, the last time it was done, they had something like 15 bidders for the work. Only 2-3 were qualified and the winner doesn't want to bid it again...

Plus you have to pay benefits or compensate equivalent to another $10 hour. Plus 25% payroll taxes on top of that....

Reactions: SamIam
I bid on 4-5 prevailing wage jobs over the years. Most are public schools and colleges. Never won one. You figure that a job is going to cost $2,000 in the normal world, and you make $1,000 on it if you personally do most of the labor. Make that a prevailing wage job. The labor is going to cost you $2,000 on a $2,000 job. Nobody can win. I lost a prevailing wage job for a screen and recoat a gym floor in a town's rec center. 7,280 with the bleachers rolled in, bleachers on one side only. They used this for a lot of craft sales and other events. They did a poor job mopping and sweeping, so it was very rough. I probably needed to quote for 4 coats, but I quoted 3 coats of finish. Screen and coat a gym floor for $9,100 is rock bottom. Labor cost is about $4,500 and material cost about $3,500. I didn't get it. The contractor that did was the brother of the mayor and the two nephews of the mayor. Now the company didn't make a penny, but the three of them did! It seems to me that the only one who could win this one was a relative.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Those jobs are such a risk. You're making nothing but risking everything.

As frustrating as it is to bid and lose, you're probably much better off without it.

While jobs like that turn dollars but leave you with little profit.

Reactions: J Scott W

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Those jobs are such a risk. You're making nothing but risking everything.

As frustrating as it is to bid and lose, you're probably much better off without it.

While jobs like that turn dollars but leave you with little profit.

I just bid on one for the city of Lancaster Ca.
5754 sq ft all Cgd on top of plywood floors,

$1400 to pad, or $1200 to steam.

She said I need to readjust the bid to include prevailing wage.

What's the carpet cleaners prevailing wage non union.

There was an article saying $38-$45 per hour for guys doing vacuuming construction cleanup.

Because they're considered level one construction workers.

Or some bs.

So I figured I'll take what my guys make as the difference at $35 per hour and pad a little for my end and if I get it they get a nice bonus.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom