How do you handle the "Sorry I forgot to cancel" people..

Mikey P

Administrator
you arrive on time ready to work, and the give you that deer in the headlights look..

"Oh my realtor told me to use their guy after I booked with you and, Im so sorry, I meant to call..."

She asked if I had a cancellation fee, told her that was up to her. Of course she didn't offer.

I played it cool and asked a few questions about her moving situation and about the other company (house cleaners that also clean carpet) but ultimate played Mr Nice Guy.

Do you show your true feelings? Just smile and tip your hat? or toss a tantrum in the driveway.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton
Name
Nate W.
Cancellation fee is the price of the job..... :lol:

We do the same as you but try to get more information out of them as well..

Bob Pruitt

Name
Robert Pruitt
In the old days I would just write an invoice for our minimum charge and politely let them know the amount is due on receipt. Now though...social media and reviews etc. probably just say - If the maid company doesn't do a great job... please give us a call to correct their cleaning. Big smile and have a nice day and all that.

Reactions: Nomad74

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Do you show your true feelings? Just smile and tip your hat? or toss a tantrum in the driveway.

You're "dead right" to collect a cancellation fee. That is, its your right, but good luck collecting it. All you'll do is put yourself in a more negative frame of mind, come off as a ....jerk....(insert stronger terms if you wish), and lose goodwill in the neighborhood.

In your place especially, as you are trying to carve a place out for yourself in a new and very different community than the one you started in.

Throw it behind you, and move on.

Wasting emotional energy on things like this is not worth it.

Last edited:

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
you arrive on time ready to work, and the give you that deer in the headlights look..

"Oh my realtor told me to use their guy after I booked with you and, Im so sorry, I meant to call..."

She asked if I had a cancellation fee, told her that was up to her. Of course she didn't offer.

I played it cool and asked a few questions about her moving situation and about the other company (house cleaners that also clean carpet) but ultimate played Mr Nice Guy.

How about avoiding that scenario all together by being proactive with a confirmation call the day before...... Then at least we don't make the trip out there.....They cancel when they get the call. I've had quite a few say....I'm so glad you called. I meant to call and forgot. Not fun to have a gap in the schedule when they cancel on the call, but at least you didn't waste time and gas driving out there.

I always just say I understand things happen that that's why we do the calls.....Let them know at least we figured it out now, not by showing up. They are always relieved to be off the hook and apologize profusely.

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
upload_2017-7-13_10-55-30.png

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
How about avoiding that scenario all together by being proactive with a confirmation call the day before...... Then at least we don't make the trip out there.....They cancel when they get the call. I've had quite a few say....I'm so glad you called. I meant to call and forgot. Not fun to have a gap in the schedule when they cancel on the call, but at least you didn't waste time and gas driving out there.

I always just say I understand things happen that that's why we do the calls.....Let them know at least we figured it out now, not by showing up. They are always relieved to be off the hook and apologize profusely.

@Monique..

Cough!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Good advice from "No Country for Old Men"

"Well all the time ya spend trying to get back what's been took from ya, more is going out the door. After a while you just have to try to get a tourniquet on it"

images

My favorite line from that movie

Name
Lee Stockwell
We call ahead the evening before on NEW jobs, and at least 30 minutes ahead on others.

If there's STILL a last minute snafu we work in pending other work, whether apartments or maintenance.

Mikey P

Administrator
Good advice from "No Country for Old Men"

"Well all the time ya spend trying to get back what's been took from ya, more is going out the door. After a while you just have to try to get a tourniquet on it"

images

My favorite line from that movie

I'm shocked I don't recall who said that... Was it Woody or Tommy?

I think my fave was..

"Cough! You mean you married into this?"

I say that to Mrs Cobb and Mrs Lockhart everytime I see them...

Reactions: darcie smith

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Mikey you should have offered to do it for free just to prove you're better than that maid outfit who uses a .........portable.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm shocked I don't recall who said that... Was it Woody or Tommy?

I think my fave was..

"Cough! You mean you married into this?"

I say that to Mrs Cobb and Mrs Lockhart everytime I see them...

It was when the sheriff asked his uncle Ellis if he would try to get revenge on the man who shot him and left him a paraplegic. That was his uncle's reply, and it speaks well to the subject

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I was gonna put this on my "customers who lie" thread, but this is probably a better thread to put it

The other day, I caught my customer lying. She was cancelling an appointment to go somewhere.

When I arrived at her house, she got in her car and drove it across the street. After about 30minutes later, I hear her speaking on the phone: "yes ma'am, I need to cancel my appointment. MY CAR WONT START"

She has made several cancels with me. Her excuse is always being sick. It made me re-think my answer to her next time

Reactions: Mrice

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
upload_2017-7-13_10-55-30-png.73455

You'd be surprised, it will still create bad will.
$30.00 richer and who knows how much poorer as a direct (non computed) result.

Let's leave software to engineers and human relationship to CCs
:winky:

P.S. Nice yellow highlighter.

yeah we don't keep the deposit anymore if they cancel.
When it happens to me I tend to jump for joy-- more free time...
however it bothers the guys sometimes---but I did suggest the techs call the customer before they drive over but they don't always listen.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I was gonna put this on my "customers who lie" thread, but this is probably a better thread to put it

The other day, I caught my customer lying. She was cancelling an appointment to go somewhere.

When I arrived at her house, she got in her car and drove it across the street. After about 30minutes later, I hear her speaking on the phone: "yes ma'am, I need to cancel my appointment. MY CAR WONT START"

She has made several cancels with me. Her excuse is always being sick. It made me re-think my answer to her next time

Several Times!?
FIRE HER!!-- Tell her you cant afford to have her as a customer.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
A lot of this has to do with ego; 'how DARE they not hire me?'

People are fallible. At the very least, a cheerful "No problem, would you like to reschedule a day while we're standing here?" or over the phone (because those texts and calls happen too) might save the job.

Mark Von*Lay

Name
Mark
It happened to me luckily that day I had a friend of my sons..STRANGE KID...anyway all you have to do is mention his hunting dog banjo getting hit by a car last month and BAM ...TEARS ...lady say omg what's wrong...I give him the look....I said he hasn't worked in weeks and got a new baby at home he was really counting on this job ..( all true) except worked in weeks) with me anyway...you poor thing. ...C note in hand...kid says I get 50 right....I say are you nuts I didn't run over your damn dog that'll teach ya to let UM run lose...besides you KNOW that dog was a way better piano player than he ever was on a Banjo.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
Meh. Stop by the river on the way home and use that fishing pole like God intended.

Yep. I would smile and thank her for allowing me 3 hours of fishing time. There are some HUGE Bass hidden in some of these subdivision ponds.

And with the power of the internet these days I would never even think of doing something to leave an ounce of negativity. Most of the time I'm overbooked these days anyways and am glad to get a break. I'm a people pleaser and keep scheduling jobs until I can barely crawl home at the end of the day.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Had one of these today. She insisted she could only have it done on Saturday which I don't normally work. I drive there 1 hour through heavy traffic (10 miles) and she's not home. I call, no answer. I text and she says all shocked "I thought it was for Aug 15, which is a Tuesday. I just want to tell her to go jump off her balcony bit because it's a building where I clean all the common area carpets and the concierge refers me to all the residents, I suck it up and rebook her for Aug 15. Just chalk it up to another "crazy lady day".

Reactions: Mark Von*Lay

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
It happens but not very often. I just stay professional then call my assistant and bitch at her about it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom