How do you clean leather...not protected

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
There's 2 chairs and 2 ottoman. Don't know if they're aneline or the other one. What do you do, make some kind of foam brush in and towel off. :p

It's lightly soiled beige, a few years old. No tears.

Albert

Jose Smith

I would not let a customer's piece be your first piece unless you've had some training in leather care.

That being said, you are off to a good start, but there are some things you must know/do to be successful at leather care, especially "not protected".

Jose Smith

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks Jose. I would not pursue this if it was the only thing they wanted. It's a part of a bigger job and I'd hate to loose it for this. I'll definitely get more info as well as pics if I get the gig (which I doubt).

Albert

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I know he is not the most popular guy but Scott Warrington/ Interlink does have a very nice online series on leather cleaning on You Tube. It may be worth checking out.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks foir the link David. Just watched all 4. Good stuff.

Thanks for putting it in the right room John. I thought the tool box was just for carpet repairs, now I know.

Albert

Roger Koh

Albert,

A comprehensive Leather-safe system!

Can you show us some pictures?

We will help from there.

John, thanks

Roger Koh
Leather Doctor®

Andya

The appropriate cleaning method (and results) will depend on the identification of the the leather you have. This is always crucial before beginning any cleaning, repair or restoration work. Training is vital as mistakes can be costly.
If you want to check on the leather type you can get a good idea from this flow chart:
http://www.lttsolutions.net/whattypeofleather.asp

Once you know the type of leather you are dealing with the cleaning processes are fairly straightforward. Anything that will not clean becomes a 'technical' job rather than a 'cleaning' one.

Checking the leather with a 5 step process will give you the best idea of leather type and also what the likely results will be of your cleaning process.

The 5 steps are:
Visual
Touch
Scratch
Moisture
Microscope

These simple steps (it will only take you 1 minute to do all of them) will give you so much informatioin which then puts you in a much better place for beginning your clean. You will also be able to discuss likely outcomes and problem areas with your customer. What you can see with the naked eye is not always a true indicator of what is actually happening to the leather finish. We have seen countless cases of people trying to clean leather which looks diry but is in fact caused by micro cracking in the pigment, which cannot be 'cleaned' better!! Checking with a microscope will give you all this type of information.

Let us know if we can be of any further help.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom