Hard Water Stains On Showers

nipsip

Name
Jim Harris
Do not want to use acid but have been running across some really tough ones that even Stone Pro Stone and Glass Scrub won't do a 100% job. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

dekeil

Name
DOUG
I use dawn and white vinegar
It has been incredible amazing
Soap Scum Remover: 1 part Dawn to 1 part Vinegar
If you have soap scum in your tub or shower, this duo is your new best friend. Add equal parts Dawn and vinegar to a spray bottle and shake gently to mix. If you have really tough deposits, you can heat the vinegar in the microwave before mixing for a little extra power. Spray all over the tub/shower and let it sit for a few minutes to a few hours, depending how yucky the target. Since the spray is thicker, it clings to the walls and shower doors rather than running right down. After it sits, scrub if you need to, but you’ll probably just be able to spray it off and have sparkly surfaces. It’s a little stinky while it sits, but I much preferred the vinegar smell to the nasty chemical smell of Scrubbing Bubbles, and this worked a ton better! Once you rinse, the leftover smell is more like Dawn than the vinegar.

nipsip

Name
Jim Harris
I have used almost every homemade solution and nothing works on the really tough stains. I know acid will work and so will 5000 grit wet sandpaper but do not want to resort to such a strong chemical. I have used Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish with a polisher which works on some medium stains. Looking for a silver bullet without resorting to acid. My go to now is 5000 - 7000 grit wet sandpaper

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
I use dawn and white vinegar
It has been incredible amazing
Soap Scum Remover: 1 part Dawn to 1 part Vinegar
If you have soap scum in your tub or shower, this duo is your new best friend. Add equal parts Dawn and vinegar to a spray bottle and shake gently to mix. If you have really tough deposits, you can heat the vinegar in the microwave before mixing for a little extra power. Spray all over the tub/shower and let it sit for a few minutes to a few hours, depending how yucky the target. Since the spray is thicker, it clings to the walls and shower doors rather than running right down. After it sits, scrub if you need to, but you’ll probably just be able to spray it off and have sparkly surfaces. It’s a little stinky while it sits, but I much preferred the vinegar smell to the nasty chemical smell of Scrubbing Bubbles, and this worked a ton better! Once you rinse, the leftover smell is more like Dawn than the vinegar.

I love these combinations as well.

I have had success with substituting Dawn for a good quality fabric conditioner which is the product you use to make your clothes a little nicer in the washing machine.

Mixing the above with bicarbonate of soda into a paste and spreading it onto the affected areas works well.

Just apply, wait 15 minutes and rinse off.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Ya need abrasion/acid for that stage of hard water stain.. i know you dont want to use acid but personally i dont like wasting time, just dont atomize it and use cold water. Gel version good option if ya get it 27% acid. Get one that safe on porcelain and chrome as well.. Of course i dont use it on natural stone situation...

magic al is great. its like soft scrub but way better. works really well when Mikey let me tried it.

I use razor, orbital or makita and red pad or white pad with stone scrub and go to town. I have been very successful doing that and quickly. Its my favorite method. Situation with stage 3 issues, ya need more power than plain elbow grease..

steve_64

I read vinegar and baking soda paste works but I haven't tried it.
We use a mild acid I would have to look it up again. 00 steel wool makes a big difference on those areas that you can barely see. The last stuff still clinging on.

nipsip

Name
Jim Harris
Ya need abrasion/acid for that stage of hard water stain.. i know you dont want to use acid but personally i dont like wasting time, just dont atomize it and use cold water. Gel version good option if ya get it 27% acid. Get one that safe on porcelain and chrome as well.. Of course i dont use it on natural stone situation...

magic al is great. its like soft scrub but way better. works really well when Mikey let me tried it.

I use razor, orbital or makita and red pad or white pad with stone scrub and go to town. I have been very successful doing that and quickly. Its my favorite method. Situation with stage 3 issues, ya need more power than plain elbow grease..
Someone else mentioned that Magic Al Glass and Metal Magic. It is on order now. Will report back on how it works on nasty glass shower doors. Will try stone scrub again with my op.

Reactions: DAT and Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom