GREASY CERAMIC FLOOR

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Went to a local franchise fastfood place today.
The whole dining room floor felt greasy and slippery.
The floor appeared to be a textured ceramic tile.

I told the manager that someone is going to fall.
Said they have been sued a few times over people falling.
She told me that she has used everything including abrasive cleaners to no avail.

I told her likely it is a residue buildup with using too much cleaner and a possible dirty mop.

Now I don't do hardly any tile cleaning etc. but I want to help her and the owner out because of older people falling etc.

So how would I approach this as far as cleaning is concerned?

My idea was to go in and take two qt bottles of cleaner, one a vinegar and water and the other a hi ph degeaser. Spray on a tile and wipe with a towel to see what direction to go.

And I think I will have to educate the help as far as what they need to do as far as maintenance themselves.

And finally what pricing structure and equipment would I need?

Thanks for the help.

damion68

If it's grease, the vinegar wont do much.
I would do a test first. An alkaline cleaner (I like Deep Clean from This Old Grout) and/or a floor stripper BareBones.

To clean I would start off with an alkaline cleaner. Mix 4-1, spray or mop on let dwell 15 min. Light scrub (if its textured tile, I'd use a 175 with heavy grit brush) scrub grout lines, then rinse. Rinse using the hottest water and 800-1200 psi (if you have a turbo) if not just keep changing mop water.
After grease has been removed an acid rinse will help brighten the grout lines.

As to price......it varies to region. Here I get anywhere from .55 to 1.00 sqft for 12x12 clean only.

Mark
feel free to give me a call if I can be of any futher help. 352-684-5832 (9-9 est please)

Fon Johnson

You have to use an alkaline cleaner for organic soil. Duane's grime be gone is what I use, and it does not have to be mixed real strong to be effective. Grease from a kitchen on ceramic tile is a recipe for disaster.. It will get greasy again soon, and be slippery again. There are some anti-slip treatments available that may help in this scenario, but no real guarantees. As for how to clean and price, well that depends on what tools you have. I'd be glad to help you out if I can.

Tile Nerd

This Old Grout "Deep Clean", spray or mop down, scrub with 175 and a natural hair pad, rinse with heat around 1000 psi. From what you are describing I would charge around $1 per sq foot.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
in those type of situations they are probably best off doing a deck wash and squeege the solution to the drain then doing some type of clean water rinse, they are probably just mopping with a degreaser and calling it good

better check if it has floor finish under the grease

judson 02 or floor stripper will work fine, I would think if you tried a degreaser and rinsed it with a turbo tool you would have a foam mess in your vac hose

mop bucket, mop, tile and grout brush(if by hand) or rotary with a strip brush, turbo rinse tool if by TM or some type of vacuum pick up machine, chemical of choice

Back
Top Bottom