GLS nylon gears, are they identical?

Brian L

Name
Brian L
If you have ever opened up the gear box on the unit to expose the nylon gears. Gears G and H look identical. My question is are they in fact identical? I replaced them both today. If it wasn't for the letters written on them with a sharpie I would think they are interchangeable.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
depends on the way that they are setting into the box

If they are meshing with each other than look and see if they are beveled

also if you look at the teeth you may notice a slight twist in them that is different
this also allows them to mesh without binding. I have only seen one type of box that have had gears that are the same and mesh together.....and that one had some pretty serious torque on it........

If they are in the box the same direction and are not meshing with each other than you have a good chance that they are the same

also gear ratios make a large difference in the type of gears and the teeth /mesh style

The Preacher

i just had to take the other cover off (to get to the breaker), it's not that easy to get back together.

i bought my 20" GLS used over 4 years ago and only had to replace those gears one time. i don't know how old the original gears were, but that machine has been the energiser bunny and put alot of $$$ in my bankl account!

hogjowl

Idiot™
I remember a couple of years ago over on the vlm board, Ray Moody got on one of his kicks and decided he didn't like the GLS machine that particular week. (I think he likes it this week.) The only thing the old fart could come up with to disk the machine was that it had plastic gears.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone stripping the gears. I've had mine now for 3 or 4 years, and have never stripped mine.

Brian L

Name
Brian L
The person I got mine from had something get caught in the brushes and it made a couple of gears do a little grinding. It worked fine after, but made just a little noise, so when I purchased it I immediately ordered the two gears that were slightly damaged. It is quieter now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom