First experience as a carpet cleaning super hero

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
It looks and feels like I've done pretty good work on all of our jobs since my wife and I launched our carpet and upholstery cleaning business a few weeks ago. Yesterday however, the before and after of the carpets I cleaned in a pretty nice home was stunning. Seeing the woman's jaw drop when she saw her previously filthy and grease stained staircase appear as almost brand new carpeting was seriously rewarding.

I'd share a pic but my cell camera is busted, it's really been holding my online marketing up too. Anyways, I'm learning as I go and erring on the side of caution with everything knowing that I am new, have very little knowledge outside of binging on carpet and upholstery cleaning educational articles and videos for several weeks, and genuinely wish to do no harm for business and personal reasons.

It does seem though as I've gotten a bit more confidence and experience over the past few weeks that my cleanings are coming out better. This last one I cleaned, after I presprayed, I hit traffic lanes with noticeble greasy soils with Benefect's Atomic degreaser and the spots and stains that seem like they'll be stubborn with Fels and 40 before I began extracting. Good agitation and dwell time, really slowing down my wet strokes with the wand, seemingly better chemistry, all earned my first carpet cleaning superhero experience. It was so awesome. And she gave me a $50 tip! I love this work!

Mikey P

Administrator
Fels and 40!

been a while since I've thought of that or seen it in print.

What extractor are you using?Are you using the Eo wand with the OEM black Glide or that low pressure special?

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
I'm using a Hydramaster PEX 500 and the Eo wand with the OEM black glide.

The low pressure special is hanging on the wall next to my other gear reminding me of my current place as a newb in this industry daily 😄

Excellent I'll be sure to join yall for that demo.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Is the use of Fels and 40 an archaic thing now? I was thinking of maybe grabbing Bridgepoint's Avenge Pro to use in place of it as a general spotter, and the rest of their spot and stain lineup for more comprehensive stain treatment.

If I had to grab a 2 part like Stain Magic to get similar results I'll probably stick with Fels (and ammonia) and 40 since it is so cost effective..

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm using a Hydramaster PEX 500 and the Eo wand with the OEM black glide.

The low pressure special is hanging on the wall next to my other gear reminding me of my current place as a newb in this industry daily 😄

Excellent I'll be sure to join yall for that demo.
Put a Hole Glide on that set up and your clients will think you're a Chem Dry franchise.

I'll bring one to SC for you.

Mikey P

Administrator
Is the use of Fels and 40 an archaic thing now? I was thinking of maybe grabbing Bridgepoint's Avenge Pro to use in place of it as a general spotter, and the rest of their spot and stain lineup for more comprehensive stain treatment.

If I had to grab a 2 part like Stain Magic to get similar results I'll probably stick with Fels (and ammonia) and 40 since it is so cost effective..

Take a sample of TOPS SPOT home with you from MF.
It's all you need for everything but coffee and wine 98% of the time.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Mikey P

Administrator
It's people like you who make being a guru all worthwhile.

Learning the trade first, and then finding your clients is the way to go.

It's the guys that have been doing it for 30 years all wrong on everything from methodology and pricing, and suddenly realize they need to change some or every thing, but usually it's too late.

Those sorts just flat out wear me out and can drain me of my enthusiasm.

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Put a Hole Glide on that set up and your clients will think you're a Chem Dry franchise.

I'll bring one to SC for you.
Sweet I'm into it. No idea what a hole glide is but I trust you on it Mike. I have seen it mentioned several times on this forum. I'll research it tonight so I know and understand a bit about the coming upgrade. Thank you!

I can imagine the burnout that comes with prideful and unskilled people in this trade that give other good folks a bad rap. Especially when one has a mission like yours. I will say that these days I have a more teachable spirit (not so much several years ago), and I strive for excellence with all that I do (I've always been that way). Sometimes to a fault, but life is continually burning more nonsense out of me. With all my heart I want to do this thing right. I'll def give the TOPS SPOT a try. So cool that I'll be able to see and chat about so much with yall at the Fest!

Mikey P

Administrator
Are the hole glides you recommend the hybrid or standard type? Is water lift more important than cfm for cleaning purposes?
The all hole design will speed up your cfms, thus increasing your lift.

The hole design and additional slipperiness of the PTFE will also eliminate the inherent chatter and head flex that the plastic slot creates.
My design is longer than the OEM which enables you to effectively clean all the way to the wall.

Here is a good explanation of lift vs cfm

Reactions: Bryce C

FredC

Village Idiot

It will increase the velocity (speed of airflow)...lift will not really increase it is being "used" to get the same amount of volume (cfm) through a smaller orifice (holes in glide).

*that lift "increase" also decreases CFM (inverse relationship)

Luky

Name
Mario
It's people like you who make being a guru all worthwhile.

Learning the trade first, and then finding your clients is the way to go.

It's the guys that have been doing it for 30 years all wrong on everything from methodology and pricing, and suddenly realize they need to change some or every thing, but usually it's too late.

Those sorts just flat-out wear me out and can drain me of my enthusiasm.
What enthusiasm 🤔?

Luky

Name
Mario
Mikey P:
Are you being a Marty, or are you unaware of how I spend my time away from this forum?

Yes, and yes.

Sometimes, I feel I have exhausted all my power, enthusiasm included. It takes a strong personality to wield all the negativity coming from all directions. Some people take long vacations to recharge, you on the other hand, take on more responsibilities.

Luky

Name
Mario
Are you being a Marty or are you unaware of how I spend my time away from this forum?
Yes, and yes.

Sometimes, I feel I have exhausted all my power, enthusiasm included. It takes a strong personality to wield all the negativity coming from all directions. Some people take long vacations to recharge, you on the other hand, take on more responsibilities.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
Yes, and yes.

Great assessment

Ill share this, next week's Fest take the cake as far as being the most drama filled, to the point that I would have cancelled it if not for the 20k I would have owed the venue.

I have no doubt it will be the best yet, based on the talent that's coming, but it been a very tough road getting to Greenville.

I probably will skip a few years due to a much grander project that I'm involved in.

• Wow

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
He's new, he probably doesn't know what Fels is?
I am new and don't know much! Old lady laundry bar? Repurposed industrial waste products masquerading as an old lady laundry bar? What's up with that name any way?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomad74

Luky

Name
Mario
Great assessment

Ill share this, next week's Fest take the cake as far as being the most drama filled, to the point that I would have cancelled it if not for the 20k I would have owed the venue.

I have no doubt it will be the best yet, based on the talent that's coming, but it been a very tough road getting to Greenville.

I probably will skip a few years due to a much grander project that I'm involved in.
My grandmother's phrase :
" Everything seems to be unattainable in the morning, but if you complete one task at the time, evrything will be done by the time the sun goes down."
And the sun will set, Mikey.

Mikey P

Administrator
My grandmother's phrase :
" Everything seems to be unattainable in the morning, but if you complete one task at the time, evrything will be done by the time the sun goes down."
And the sun will set, Mikey.
I achieve more from 4 am to sunrise than a larry lunchpail gets done all day.

• Haha
Reactions: Luky

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Fels is a dirty ho. I feel like I need to be steam cleaned.

The hole design and additional slipperiness of the PTFE will also eliminate the inherent chatter and head flex that the plastic slot creates.
My design is longer than the OEM which enables you to effectively clean all the way to the wall.

Here is a good explanation of lift vs cfm

This week has been hectic and it took me a bit to sit down and read it. That was a great article!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Great assessment

OHH NO!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom