Ever knock on wrong door and get a job from it?

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Pulled up and Knocked on the door to where I thought I had the correct address. Attached homes community. Both homes looked like one home to me. After knocking I realized I was at the wrong home after seeing the house number on the door behind the screen door. Retired fella answers and I asked is this #35? Says no it’s next door. After apologizing I hand him my card and thought to use a technique an ole timer taught me a while back. That is to never pressure the prospect while handing over your business card. Give them your card and say something like “ By the way, I’m in the carpet cleaning business, here is my card, you may know someone that may be needing their carpets cleaned ” Totally taking the pressure off of them by not imposing yourself onto them in asking if they have carpets, here’s my card....blah blah blah.

I then left to the correct house next door. As I finished up with that job and started wrapping things up at the truck, the fella next door to where I first knocked on, came over ask If I could stop at his house and Check out his floors. Booked that job for next week. It worked.
Coincidence? Maybe or maybe not. I tend to believe he was won over by using thee “no pressure by the way” technique.

Reactions: Old Coastie

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Pulled up and Knocked on the door to where I thought I had the correct address. Attached homes community. Both homes looked like one home to me. After knocking I realized I was at the wrong home after seeing the house number on the door behind the screen door. Retired fella answers and I asked is this #35? Says no it’s next door. After apologizing I hand him my card and thought to use a technique an ole timer taught me a while back. That is to never pressure the prospect while handing over your business card. Give them your card and say something like “ By the way, I’m in the carpet cleaning business, here is my card, you may know someone that may be needing their carpets cleaned ” Totally taking the pressure off of them by not imposing yourself onto them in asking if they have carpets, here’s my card....blah blah blah.

I then left to the correct house next door. As I finished up with that job and started wrapping things up at the truck, the fella next door to where I first knocked on, came over ask If I could stop at his house and Check out his floors. Booked that job for next week. It worked.
Coincidence? Maybe or maybe not. I tend to believe he was won over by using thee “no pressure by the way” technique.
Stole a job from coit like that. Driving down a main Street, looking for the right hundred block. Found the address but forgot I wasn't on the right street yet. Knock on the door, say I'm the carpet cleaner. Was shown what to do, small job, just an ldh. I am halfway through before I realize I am at the wrong address. Complete the job anyway, collect the check and as I am driving away to go to the real job, a coit van pulls up behind me. I arrive at my real job an hour late but $150 richer and feeling good that I got one over on my competition.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Yep. Stole a job from my local competitor who had it scheduled to clean that day also. I got paid for it after I was done. It was one of those fancy duplexes on the side of a golf course and the customer didn't know any better. Neither did I. It was about 9 years ago or so

Being the nice guy that I am, I called my competitor to apologize. They understood

Reactions: Old Coastie

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well, I know it's hard to believe, but this happens to me sometimes. Always embarrassing. The other day I locked myself out of a house. I was making a video of a urine trashed house and explaining why Unleashed with its dumb 1:1 dilution rates and 1 hour dwell time was not a good choice compared to Centrumforce U-Turn with is 1oz per gal dilution and 10 min dwell time. So I went to go back in to make my "After" video and found I had locked myself out. I had to pull a @Mark Saiger and video my work through the window.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
I always ask “Are you Mrs. Piffleton?”
She says “yes” and I say “Oh, thank God you are in the right house! Here’s my card so you know who to be mad at later.”

Corny, but so what?

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
When I started this business I walked into what I thought was a real estate office but it was actually the office of a steak house and cafeteria in a strip mall. The owner asked me for an estimate and I did both restaurants for 15 years until they installed commercial tile.

Reactions: Nomad74

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Met the lady at her office. Got the key and the number she had written down for me. Went there, house matched the description she had given. Opened the door using the key. Cleaned two bedrooms and hallway, started on the LR. Saw a pile of mail with different last name on all the envelopes. Found out the customer had transposed the number she wrote for me.

Went ahead and finished the LR. Left a note saying Courtesy of the cleaning elf. Went and cleaned the right house.

Back
Top Bottom