Drying times

Condog

Name
Tony
I watched a cleaning supply company video and they said drying time can be accelerated by adding up to a 1/4 cup to a cup of rubbing alcohol to cleaning solutions.

I read on a FB post that ReleaseIt had isopropyl alcohol as one of its main ingredients (I'm not saying it does, just that I read it does).

Does anyone have knowledge with experience doing this?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Drink some and report back :very_drunk:. That's not an uncommon ingredient as it can add to the antimicrobial properties as well. Did you ever pour ouzo and water together?

Condog

Name
Tony
Yes
Someone does
That can share their knowledge.

1706139200255.gif

Reactions: Kenny Hayes

FredC

Village Idiot
It will evaporate faster than water. Depending on the conditions*** we are talking about it is very unlikely to speed up the evaporation of other liquids (water) in a carpet cleaning situation. Especially a quarter cup. Any decrease in drying times would be due to displacing a slower evaporating liquid.

***It's a little more complicated than that though:

In your case though you are increasing the volume of liquid rather than displacing another

in chems it is likely used more for it's solvent and sanitizing properties although the faster evap could be of benefit

try it and see

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
This idea has been tried and promoted for decades

When my father had a Servicemaster franchise in the 60s they had a product called Quick Dry (alcohol) that was supposed to help shampoo dry faster. He never saw measurable evidence of that.

In the 80s there was a carpet wand with a system that injected alcohol for faster drying.

Not many of those around so...

Finally, there have been some fires, including fatalities, from cleaners using alcohol in the home.

I think some air movers will do you more good, with more safety.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
It will evaporate faster than water. Depending on the conditions*** we are talking about it is very unlikely to speed up the evaporation of other liquids (water) in a carpet cleaning situation. Especially a quarter cup. Any decrease in drying times would be due to displacing a slower evaporating liquid.

***It's a little more complicated than that though:

In your case though you are increasing the volume of liquid rather than displacing another

in chems it is likely used more for it's solvent and sanitizing properties although the faster evap could be of benefit

try it and see
Are you auditioning for AIfreds job?

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I'm asking about drying times, not good times.
Blend both. Seriously, alcohol will in certain circumstances, turn into a milky fluid when mixed with water. There was a product called ban-o that was mostly alcohol that did that. That stuff stunk so bad, especially after a 5 gallon pail half emptied in my vehicle.

Reactions: Condog

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
No, I haven't tried Argosheen.. I've heard the smell is terrible.. It was probably good for its time..

My father used that stuff in the 60s and into the early 70s.

It was one of the reasons I was convinced I wanted nothing to do with the cleaning business when I got out of school ..... you'd get thrown out of homes today if you used that now.

argosheen.jpg

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I watched a cleaning supply company video and they said drying time can be accelerated by adding up to a 1/4 cup to a cup of rubbing alcohol to cleaning solutions.

I read on a FB post that ReleaseIt had isopropyl alcohol as one of its main ingredients (I'm not saying it does, just that I read it does).

Lea put alcohol in 02 rinse CTI uses it in last step rinse. I believe prochem used it too.

Screenshot_20240125-074901.png

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My father used that stuff in the 60s and into the early 70s.

It was one of the reasons I was convinced I wanted nothing to do with the cleaning business when I got out of school ..... you'd get thrown out of homes today if you used that now.

View attachment 125950
Didn't they have a square pad machine at one time?

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

FredC

Village Idiot

Yes...argonaut

argo1c.jpg

7437dbf096734253ad43fdf7af118728 (1).jpg

f5ecbdd8c10c4b59b84a152b13a53c89.jpg 974ba7e09d6c4ddba67007f587f8a104.jpg

naut02162002.gif

ARGONAUT PLUS TOWEL MACHINE

Reciprocating motion 16 1/4" x 10" stationary pad holder 15 pounds, 115 volt, 1/8 hp motor, 5 amp , 1700 rpm free. Use with ARGOSHEEN and all cotton pads for removal of soil. Also available with 220 volt motor for Europe.

ARGONAUT SUPER TOWEL MACHINE

Reciprocating motion 10" x 12" or 16 1/4" x 10" stationary pad holder, 35 pounds, 115 volt, 1/4 hp single phase motor, 5.6 amp , 1725 rpm. Use with ARGOSHEEN and all cotton pads for removal of soil. Also available with 220 volt motor for Europe.

Last edited:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Yes.

My father bought into a lot of early innovations...not all of them worthwhile.

He did well with Argosheen for awhile when he wanted to improve over shampoo and avoid “steam cleaning”.

Back then people thought if your stuff smelled like a toxic waste dump, it must be really good.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I used it briefly. It padded up surface soil quite nicely but smelled like cancer.

Argosheen was used to plant-clean silk rugs and some plant fiber rugs at our shop. Before my time though - it was replaced
with a rotary-scrubbed blend of chlorinated solvent, water, and shampoo using iso alcohol as a binder.

The good- Did a mighty good low residue cleaning of the old jute and other plant fiber carpet and dried in minutes.

The bad - It smelled like an old-time dry cleaning shop, made you loopy, did a mighty good job of eating motors, and once a wall outlet shorted out and caught the carpet on fire in a boutique women's wear shop. The iso portion burned out so fast that the clothing wasn't damaged, but that was the end of that stuff.

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas

Releasit does contain Isopropyl Alcohol. But it's not a "main ingredient".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom