Direct Target Marketing Question

BUSY BEE

I'm in the process of printing and mailing off 1000 8x5 in. glossy cards to homes in high priced areas. The guy that's doing the targeting and dealing with the bulk mail part claims a 2 to 2.5% return, has anyone had that type of success? I'm sending these to very upscale areas and the cards promote carpet cleaning and tile/grout, plus stone restoration services. 2-2.5% what do you think?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
larger cards with good(or what I consider good pin point marketing and branding) atleats 2% partnered locally 10%

BUSY BEE

Becker said:
I guess it depends on the offer.

Be happy with 1%
1%? I guess if they're all stone restoration 1% kicks ass. I also forgot, the coupons on the back will be:
30-40 per room carpet cleaning
10% off and tile/grout service
10% off stone restoration service
1 free gallon neutral tile/grout and stone maint. cleaner for serivces over $250
When they get printed I'll post the pictures (when I figure out how to post pics)

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
IMO it is about 3 things

The target demo you are sending too~Sounds like the demo is good
The catch line/image etc that makes it readable ~Can't comment on readability without seeing it
The compelling offer(s)~ Offers are not real compelling in todays market- 10% is not a big discount and you may want to eliminate it and make the offer something else not discount related.

Ken

BUSY BEE

Ken Snow said:
IMO it is about 3 things

The target demo you are sending too~Sounds like the demo is good
The catch line/image etc that makes it readable ~Can't comment on readability without seeing it
The compelling offer(s)~ Offers are not real compelling in todays market- 10% is not a big discount and you may want to eliminate it and make the offer something else not discount related.

Ken
Yeah I know it's hard to answer this question without seeing it. They're supposed to be ready by the end of the week. I have to do the 10% off thing for tile/grout and stone, because it's the only way. You can't advertise those services by the sq ft without screwing yourself, I figured by offering them free things that could help, but t/g and stone is hard to give a price, I always estimate them in person, I would be an idiot to give them an exact dollar amount without looking at the situation. Thanks for the input, Bill

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
At approx $750 W/ postage. Then add on your overhead costs.
It may be tough to get your head above water on this one.

Cold direct mailing is a risky proposition.

BUSY BEE

Dave Yoakum said:
At approx $750 W/ postage. Then add on your overhead costs.
It may be tough to get your head above water on this one.

Cold direct mailing is a risky proposition.
No it's $550 total for printing, postage, and direct mail fee. Everything for $550 (not joking), I think for almost 50 cents a card that's pretty good deal. I think one advantage I have over my competition is that is that I do stone restoration which I found no carpet cleaners in my area are able to provide.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Sounds like a good deal.
I hope the card doesn't look like you got a good deal because that would be the only problem that I see happening.

I would like to see it when you can. email me a file if you can't post and I'll post it for you.

If you get one good job, it could pay for the mailing.

3 customers that would stay loyal wouldn't be a bad ROI.

Remember to work on referrals and upsales when you do get a customer out of it.

Something like this, you want to make sure you get everything you can out of each one.

BUSY BEE

Brian Robison said:
Sounds like a good deal.
I hope the card doesn't look like you got a good deal because that would be the only problem that I see happening.

I would like to see it when you can. email me a file if you can't post and I'll post it for you.

If you get one good job, it could pay for the mailing.

3 customers that would stay loyal wouldn't be a bad ROI.

Remember to work on referrals and upsales when you do get a customer out of it.

Something like this, you want to make sure you get everything you can out of each one.
I saw a rough draft today and I think it looks very good, but of course I'm gonna like it. The final will be ready on Monday. I'll e-mail it to you and if you could post it for me that would be awesome. I want to get everyone's opinion on it, maybe someone has something to say to make it better. Posting pix on this website is hard, Mike's told me how to do it at least 3 times and I still don't get it. Anyways, thanks Brian.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
what I meant was that 10% itself isn;t a big number in todays world. I recently read in some adv article that the minimum discount to trigger an interest is now 25% and 40-60% or more is what is needed to really move people to action. What I was trying to suggest was to look at either raising the discount or finding another hook rather than % off. This could be do X's areas or sq and get X free, could be a free bottle of spotter just for allowing you to do an estimate, or any other way to trigger a response. I fear you may not get much response with 10% off being your hook and then you may blame the method of marketing for lack of respeonse, rather than the message (hook) in your piece.

Hope I am wrong and that it is very successful for you.

Ken

BUSY BEE

Ken Snow said:
what I meant was that 10% itself isn;t a big number in todays world. I recently read in some adv article that the minimum discount to trigger an interest is now 25% and 40-60% or more is what is needed to really move people to action. What I was trying to suggest was to look at either raising the discount or finding another hook rather than % off. This could be do X's areas or sq and get X free, could be a free bottle of spotter just for allowing you to do an estimate, or any other way to trigger a response. I fear you may not get much response with 10% off being your hook and then you may blame the method of marketing for lack of respeonse, rather than the message (hook) in your piece.

Hope I am wrong and that it is very successful for you.

Ken
Oh Man!! Now you got me thinking!! 25% huh? If that's what's working I'm all for it. 40-60 seems like a bait and switch deal, but maybe 20 or 25%. Thanks Ken, I might change this tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom