CONSUMER'S REPORTS ON VACUUMS

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
A Hoover "Tempo" which uses a bag was rated at #4 and costs $80.

23. Hoover "Empower" at $100 bagless

27.Bissell "Momentum" at $120 bagless.

"Weigh the pros and cons of bagless.
Not having to change a bag might seem like a convenience.But you will have to empty a bagless model more frequently than you will a bagged machine since that type usually has a smaller capacity.Plus emptying the bin can send dust back into the air.
Manufacturers claim that HEPA vacuums are better at capturing dander,dust mites and other allergens.Those high efficiency particulate air models excell at controlling emmisions, but some NON-HEPA models do just as well, and their replacement bags cost significally less."

There were 40 upright vacuums tested.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Without getting into the bag-bagless or HEPA-nonHEPA arguement I think Consumer Reports is completely irrelevant to any discussion. Kind of like the CRI seal of approval.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And why would you say that?

They actually do scientific testing to get the results.

Do you know of anybody else that does this type of unbiased testing?

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
The main reason I like bagless.....I can tell right away when there's a problem. You get a feel for 'em and you know when it's not picking stuff up.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Walrus said:

Not having to change a bag might seem like a convenience.But you will have to empty a bagless model more frequently than you will a bagged machine since that type usually has a smaller capacity.Plus emptying the bin can send dust back into the air.
Manufacturers claim that HEPA vacuums are better at capturing dander,dust mites and other allergens.Those high efficiency particulate air models excell at controlling emmisions, but some NON-HEPA models do just as well, and their replacement bags cost significally less."

Everything that I know about that consumer reports tests says they have their head totally up the a**.

I ran a bicycle shop for 30 years and their evaluations of bicycles could be done better by a bunch of 3rd graders. Years ago they rated a Mexican Windsor as a best buy that was a total POS. Another time they rated a Kabuki 3 speed as a best buy and there were less than 300 imported into the US that year.

The Yuppies think that CR is walk on water. They are the most biased dummies around.

Yup that is how I really feel.

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
If that's a consumer report finding then it's for the low end types of vacuums. Each one of those listed is a POS. Your going to have to spend a few bucks if you want a decent vacuum that's really going to do what you want it to do.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
They test expensive Kirbys and Dysons are those CHEAP vacuums?

And who cares about bicycles?

Can't you afford a car?

Torn

Name
Chris Thomas
Walrus said:

No, I'm talking about your choices.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
So now we have to listen to consumers and products that are made for consumers? LOL

If you get a true pro bagless hepa commercial vac which it is a night/day difference than the walmart vacs(i have those too) it tells you when the bag is full, no messy clean ups w/ cups, i can go on and on.

...you purchase pro equipment for carpet cleaning yet go cheap w/ the vac?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
No I don't use housewife specials to take into peoples homes but was trying to make a point to those that do.

But just so you know many of those housewife specials listed in consumer's reports do have exact copies made for commercial work. Just slap on a different badge and color and there you go.

Farenheit251

I really like the clear dust cup. I vacuum half a room and can tell whether I need to go slow and thorough,quik pass or skip vacuuming altogether. My Dyson and Momentum pickup alot more but I'm still not sure if it is more removed or just fluffed up more instead of compacted in the bag.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I didn't see any mention of the cleartrak.

Maybe because they don't offer or make it anymore?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
NO, the cleartrak prob isn't in this report, but when it was tested, and how they have tested the canister vacs, they always rate them poorly.
Well, for a poor vacuum, they sure suck the soil out of the carpet!!!
From 2 bathrooms and a 6x4 area of a master bdrm, just vacuumed btw
IMAGE_646.jpg

the rest of the master
IMAGE_647.jpg

Won't get this out with any of those top rated bag vacuums, I guarantee you.

rick imby

Name
Rick
Walrus said:
I didn't see any mention of the cleartrak.

Maybe because they don't offer or make it anymore?

Maybe they don't make it anymore because it got poorly rated by Consumers Reports. When CR uses their database of complaints and problems with a product like cars to rate I think they do a good job but the "scientific method" they use to evaluate stuff is flawed. It has a ton of short term "opinion" built into it. Kinda like some Eyeball's Mind. Millions of dollars are on the line with their testing ---like with vacuums--. I could set up a "Scientific Test" to get a certain vacuum to win.

They have had a hatred of Detroit for years that has cost Ford, GM, Chrysler millions. If it says Honda or Toyota on the nameplate the plastic is softer the colors are better the testing less harsh. They are extremely biased.

And the Yuppies take their ratings as Gospel. The top 3 vacuums in this test will be sold like hotcakes.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
My bagged Kenmore Progressive that was voted #1 has a light to show you are still picking up dirt. It's very sensitive to small particles so I know where to keep vacuuming and where it's done. What could be better? I can tell exactly where some sand or dirt has been tracked in.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
The cleartrax from Amway was stolen from the inventor of the Dyson. I believe everyone sold has to pay him a royality , of course after years in court suing Amway.

Gene

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
why do people throw things in the cloud the issue. I don't care who made it, the fact is, its there, its been made. Let Amway and Dyson figure that out. Fact is Amway built, or whoever built it for them (trying to appease the nitpickers here with the "details") a fantastic vacuum. It makes the Dyson look like crap. I can replace any part and within 30 minutes, right down to the motor, and basically have a new machine. In fact I plan on doing just that with the one I'm using. Can't do that with other vacs on the market. I've looked at Dysons, need an engineering degree to take it apart. Any fairly competent person with a phillips screwdriver can pull a cleartrak apart.

In the mean time, those sensor lights tell you when soil is coming in the vacuum, but if its not picking up the soil, the light will go off. I'll take a visual over a sensor any day. Put one of those lights on a Cleartrak and it would never shut off!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom