Composite rubber floor tile?

John Downey

We were asked to clean this floor. When my son saw it he begged off because he didn't know what it was or how to clean it. Instead, he sent this photo. The client doesn't know what it is as she inherited it from the previous owner. My best guess is it's composite rubber with "wood grout." Other thoughts? Cleaning suggestions?

Thanks,
John Downey

70888742832--A411860B-FEA2-4DC5-8816-4C078C6927BC.jpeg

hogjowl

Idiot™
It can still be extracted with a hard surface wand or glided carpet wand. Just make certain you keep your pressure around 350 psi and put airpath fans on it.

John Downey

Thank you. I don't use a truckmount; I use a high-flow, tap-pressure extractor called a Steamin Demon. On hard surface floors I usually use a Multiwash CRB extractor, which uses much less water. I'm wondering about chemistry. Anything to avoid? I usually use milder solutions as the brush agitation usually makes strong chemistry unnecessary.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Neutral cleaner is fine unless that’s an oil based rubberized mat. Then any oils that may be on it won’t be as easy to remove.
If I was in your situation, I’d use Procyon and scrub with the crb. Then I’d pad rinse with a rotary or OP and fan dry.

Reactions: Mike J

scotty747

You might want to wet vac out the edges of the tiles too. The bottom of the wood can absorb fairly quickly since theres probably no finish lower on the sides.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care

John Downey

Good suggestion and question, thanks. I wasn't there so don't know for sure, but I don't think they are made to pop out. It wouldn't be hard to find out, and if they do it would sure simplify the project. We do wood restoration, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do the wood apart from the tiles. Yes, I suppose we could do it by hand, but I'm old and grumpy and don't want to! :cool:

Name
Jeff T
It looks like a hands and knees job to me…

I wouldn’t want to be the one to buy that piece of flooring…

Lots of detail work.

Lots of fresh towels, lots of vacuum, lots of ATTENTION!!!

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I hate to say it, but Marty’s suggestion would be the safest way and easiest for that matter. There would be less chance of residue on that black with neutral cleaner. (maybe)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom