Competition

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Some local competitor of mine was working down the street from me yesterday and stopped by to chat with me. Here’s how it went:

Guy - What’s that?

Me - Water softener.

Guy - Why have that?

Me - No reason.

Reactions: Mike J

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Is the guy a douchebag back stabber competition or was he just asking?

My competitor meth head stopped me in the tractor supply parking lot to chat and bummed a male QC off me to help him get back on the job

Build a network, don’t burn bridges. The fewer competitors, the better your business will be

Reactions: SamIam

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris

My competitor meth head stopped me in the tractor supply parking lot to chat and bummed a male QC off me to help him get back on the job

Build a network, don’t burn bridges. The fewer competitors, the better your business will be
I didn’t have time to educate him, I was working. If he didn’t want to take the time to properly research the trade like I did… then too bad for him.

Mikey P

Administrator
Doesn’t take much to be a 1%er in this business.
actually it does...

You need the following inherent aptitudes in order to pull it off.
  1. self awareness
  2. a somewhat normal appearance
  3. a sense of community pride
  4. OCD
  5. a more than basic understanding of all flooring types and how to service them
  6. the ability to fix most anything gone wrong with your equipment
  7. pleasant to be around
  8. a good, if not great ability to start conversations with strangers
  9. the ability to really listen
  10. strong social media skills
  11. a master of all methods
  12. the testicular fortitude to not make panic moves when business is really slow, or really busy.
  13. a strong lower back.
  14. family money or a wife with a good job.

most of you idiots are lucky to have 6 of these qualities

Last edited:

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
actually it does...

1. a somewhat normal appearance
  2. a sense of community pride
  3. OCD
  4. a more than basic understanding of all flooring types and how to service them
  5. the ability to fix most anything gone wrong with your equipment
  6. pleasant to be around
  7. a good, if not great ability to start conversations with strangers
  8. the ability to really listen
  9. strong social media skills
  10. a master of all methods
  11. the testicular fortitude to not make panic moves when business is really slow, or really busy.
  12. a strong lower back.
  13. family money or a wife with a good job.

#13 isn’t in my hand of cards.

I must be just like all the other hacks

Name
Nate W.

Dude, what?!? :eekk:

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Don’t burn bridges with local competitors.

If a supplier rips you one, burn that bridge
I network with a few if my competitors. I have 4-5 guys giving me jobs here and there. Just did one yesterday. Small $200 job was too far out of his regular service area. He comes in to clean the building annually. This was just one partial hallway, 5 minutes away from my home. Other guys give me rugs and jobs they're not comfortable doing. I don't steal their customers.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Nate W.
A local carpet dyer asked to borrow some dye because he ran out.. We give him the jar and tell him to just refill what he used..

That MF brings us our jar back that looked like it been through WWIII and the label unreadable.. If that were us, we'd give the new jar to the person who let us borrow/helped us out.. Last time we ever help that guy.....Douche bag..

For the most part, we get a lot of work and referrals from other cleaner's/restorer's.. I even fix other's equipment if they ask, no charge.. If I can help, I help..

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
A local carpet dyer asked to borrow some dye because he ran out.. We give him the jar and tell him to just refill what he used..

That MF brings us our jar back that looked like it been through WWIII and the label unreadable.. If that were us, we'd give the new jar to the person who let us borrow/helped us out.. Last time we ever help that guy.....Douche bag..

For the most part, we get a lot of work and referrals from other cleaner's/restorer's.. I even fix other's equipment if they ask, no charge.. If I can help, I help..
It always comes back to you in the long run. Had a guy give me a $3500 job this year.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
This post wasn’t about burning bridges.

This post was about how most of our peers are worthless.

If that dude didn’t understand why I have a water softener in Ohio, where the water is ridiculous, then I wonder what else he’s missing.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
This post wasn’t about burning bridges.

This post was about how most of our peers are worthless.

If that dude didn’t understand why I have a water softener in Ohio, where the water is ridiculous, then I wonder what else he’s missing.
If you took the time to educate him, he might be someone who can help you out in a pinch.

Reactions: Papa John
Name
Nate W.
Big difference between techs and owners..

Yes, even some owners are clueless about being clueless..

The only stupid question is the one not asked.......... It may seem common sense to you, but not to others..

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I've been kind to all my competitors.
I was slightly bewildered when Cole was friendly to me in my early years. Perhaps my jealousy played a part.
When a Stanley Steemer truck drove by, my son advised, be nice to those guys' dad; They have a hard time working for a poorly operated company. He should know; he worked for them in Madison for about three weeks.
Be nice to Hacks--They tend to have difficult days until they figure it out; sadly, some never do.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
actually it does...

1. self awareness
  4. OCD
  5. a more than basic understanding of all flooring types and how to service them
  7. pleasant to be around
  12. the testicular fortitude to not make panic moves when business is really slow, or really busy.
  13. a strong lower back.

I actually have all of these. Who knew?

SamIam

Name
sam miller

So your saying shanksalot???

sassyotto

Name
Paul
Having other people in your area doing the same TYPE of work you do and having other people in your area doing the same QUALITY of work you do are two different things.

I never paid much attention to other cleaners, what they do, how they advertise, etc. What I CAN tell you is that there is consistent 10 percent new companies and 10 percent go out of business every year.

But for many years I did refer business to another cleaner in my area since I was not always able to get to a job in the customers required time frame. People seemed to be happy with his work. Two years ago he retired and sold his truck. He didnt want to sell his customer list since all he had was paper receipts. Nothing was kept on an accounting system. So he changed the message on his phone line to call me. Which only made me.............more busy. But I do appreciate the relationship we had.

LCCFL

Name
Eli Rodriguez
I have two companies that throw me work. I throw them a couple of jobs when I can.

I keep a good relationship with them and respect them highly.

I had some random guy who’s been around for sometime after looking him up. He did my neighbors house. During his cleaning I guess he took the time to make a video during the job and points the phone at my house and van saying his client is loyal.

I found that odd but pretty dumb in my opinion. Why say that? Just record the house you’re cleaning and say how good of a client is. Don’t point your camera to my house saying how you have someone who is loyal and doesn’t call the neighbor.

This was an unprofessional move imo. I just found it funny that someone would take the time to do this.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.MOV
    34.4 MB

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I have two companies that throw me work. I throw them a couple of jobs when I can.

I keep a good relationship with them and respect them highly.

I had some random guy who’s been around for sometime after looking him up. He did my neighbors house. During his cleaning I guess he took the time to make a video during the job and points the phone at my house and van saying his client is loyal.

I found that odd but pretty dumb in my opinion. Why say that? Just record the house you’re cleaning and say how good of a client is. Don’t point your camera to my house saying how you have someone who is loyal and doesn’t call the neighbor.

This was an unprofessional move imo. I just found it funny that someone would take the time to do this.
Nails on his driveway should slow his roll!

• Haha
Reactions: LCCFL

SamIam

Name
sam miller
actually it does...

1. self awareness
  4. OCD
  7. pleasant to be around
  13. a strong lower back.

You forgot run from piss

• Love

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom