Commercial Carpet Repairs

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I got a call from a gentleman that wants me to give an estimate for repairs to GDC. The complaint seems to be the seams fraying up. I haven’t had much experience repairing commercial carpet. What is the best kind of adhesive for this type of repair?

Roberts Glue Down Carpet Seam Adhesive
41-8415.jpg

41-8415 ROBERTS GLUE DOWN CARPET SEAM ADHESIVE

A solvent-based adhesive that prevents unraveling, loss of face yarn and delamination of approved carpet backings. Not recommended for vinyl-backed carpets. Use with foam rubber, urethane, jute, woven, latex unitary and polypropylene secondary backed carpets.

•Strong bond
•Dries rapidly
•Resists fungus, mildew, water and industrial carpet shampoos
•Rated for residential or heavy traffic commercial applications

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Thanks, I guessed solvent based would be the way to go. What do you use to apply that to small areas you are repairing?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
That job was a PIA. I can see there are a few more tools I need for commercial work like a good straight edge and sealing seems with hot glue does not work too well. Why is this room dead? Where is Steve Andrews? I know there are a few guys that have allot to contribute to this room. I want to see more repair post.

Why is this room dead?
Not sure about the others, but we've been very busy. Havent had time for reading the boards as much lately.

What do you use to apply that to small areas you are repairing?
Define "small area" ;)

You could try this seam sealer for small areas.
ROBERTS Universal Carpet Seam Sealer, Solvent Free, Dries Clear, 8 oz. Bottle with Applicator Tip
221742c8-52b8-48c4-bce2-356519d024e4_300.jpg

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
8015 is just a latex for edge seaming before hot melt. 8415 is the seam sealing adhesvie and used for small areas as well but can still be a PIA. If you have large repairs, we used a good floor adhesvie like Welco 1070 or Roberts 3095 applied with an 1/8 grooved trowel and the 'honey(8415) on all the edges, The 8415 seals and welds the edges so don't apply any hot melt adhesive, or the seam weld adhesvie will not work properly. In most cases of fraying the mechanic did not use seam weld on his seams and just butted th edges after he spread his adhesive.

Other good tools: A row good row finder and cushion back cutter. A cookie cutter for small patches as you need, with some repairs, its handy to have some spray ahesive as well. We like Camie spray adhesive.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I usually work in with a carpet shop that does a lot of commercial and send most of my comm repairs to them. No and again, I'll have one pop up when I'm quiet, or it maybe an easy one or it may be a client where I don't want to risk anyone else going in, those I'll drop by the carpet shop, grab a pail of their glue, use what I need and drop the pail back. 9 times out of 10, I barely use enough for them to charge me in view of the work I also send them.

Networks are essential for business.

John

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Good advaice. I have a relationship with a carpet retialer. I plan on sending them the repairs that are beyond my comfort level and going out with them to learn. I want to see more post of your repairs Middleton.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
ACE said:
I want to see more post of your repairs Middleton.

Honestly, after a while, it feels like same old stuff that I post photos about, I don't want anyone getting (any more) bored with them.

Having said that, I did an installation correction today for a semi patterned carpet that the layer got inconsistent stretch on causing a horrible appearing seam. THe manufacturer paid me to go back, take it up, realign and reinstall. First time I've done something as drasitc as that but it worked great... at least to my eyes, Harry may say differently.

I'll post up the photos in another thread when I get them downloaded.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom