Cleaning Drapes

tim

For those of you that do this, what is the best way? I usually turn it down but a customer begged me yesterday so I started cleaning them in place with upholstery prespray and my drimaster. The drapes got too wet, I really needed 3 people to hold the fabric tight to prevent it from sucking up into the drimaster, it wrinkled, drying was a nightmare, up and down cleaning was exhausting. Based on this experience, I would never do it again. I also found that the lining hung down below the drapes when damp, thankfully this corrected itself when it dried but there were some tense moments! The looked fine when I left and I got paid but until I found a better way, I will continue to run!

dgargan

Here's what we do. This info is from a flyer we use to give our customers. If you like I can email you the whole flyer that has pictures.
Here’s how it works…

Step 1: Thorough Inspection
First, we will identify any conditions that may present cleaning challenges such as permanent stains, sunlight damage, etc. We will give you an evaluation of what kind of results we expect.

Step 2: Pre-Vacuum
Dry soil removal is the most important step in cleaning any textile. Your drapes will be completely vacuumed to remove dust and dry soils.

Step 3: Chem Sponge Cleaning
Specially treated “sponges” will be used to remove soil. These sponges are treated with drycleaning solvents, but do not have any liquid in them. These “dry” sponges are great for removing oil based soils that become airborne when cooking, etc.

Step 5: Drapery Fresh
The Drapery Fresh product is a special solution made just for drapes that displaces additional soils and brightens the drapes at the same time. This product is lightly misted onto the drapes.

Step 6: Post Inspection
Our technician will go over the cleaning results with you when finished.

This is very easy and safe to do.

David

Mr. Obama " Redistribute my work ethic...not my money"

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The best way to clean draperies is to take them down and immersion clean them. Washable draperies should be... washed. Any other type should be handled by an experienced shop that does DRAPERY cleaning, not just dry cleaning. If you get a lot of requests for drapery cleaning, I'd start a relationship with the best drapery cleaner in your town and refer this cleaning to them. Light cleaning on-location as described here is fine if the draperies need only a basic vacuuming and your customers will pay for limited results.

Never let a customer pressure you into doing something you don't know how to do. That's easily the most expensive way to learn anything.

dgargan

Drapery Fresh come from Jacks manufacturing. 800-821-2089

Like the great Oz says it's best to turn the bad ones over to someone with lots of experience. You will find most of them are not that bad and a light dry cleaning with Drapery Fresh is all you need.

In my area there is no one doing drapes. I even have 5 area dry cleaners that refer me the work because then don't want to mess with it. The few that do clean them don't do much more than what I would do and turn away the bad ones. So I take on what I can and it works out great.

Jose Smith

The best way to clean draperies is to take them down and immersion clean them. Washable draperies should be... washed. Any other type should be handled by an experienced shop that does DRAPERY cleaning, not just dry cleaning. If you get a lot of requests for drapery cleaning, I'd start a relationship with the best drapery cleaner in your town and refer this cleaning to them. Light cleaning on-location as described here is fine if the draperies need only a basic vacuuming and your customers will pay for limited results.

Another great post from Bryan. Carpet cleaners will only get themselves into trouble when they take on anything but carpet cleaning without the right training and experience. The next time you see some custom draperies, expensive Oriental rug or designer fabric, ask yourself if you can afford replacement.

I'm sorry Tim, but it sounds like you were extremely lucky worse things did not happen on this job. Do what Bryan says and find a drapery cleaner to give these to.

Jose Smith

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I took the Wally Weber Upholstery and Drapery Cleaning course in 1985. Drapery cleaning was billed as very easy to do in home where they are hung with oderless Mineral Spirits spiked with a solvent detergent in your handy dandy KleenRite machine. I could see that though it might be an easy and effective way to clean drapes, the technician would be inhaling a lot of toxic chemicals at close range. I never tried it. As far as I know, Wally Weber developed severe emphysema from this "easy money" add on. Emphysema is irreversable lung damage.

tim said:
For those of you that do this, what is the best way? I usually turn it down but a customer begged me yesterday so I started cleaning them in place with upholstery prespray and my drimaster. The drapes got too wet, I really needed 3 people to hold the fabric tight to prevent it from sucking up into the drimaster, it wrinkled, drying was a nightmare, up and down cleaning was exhausting. Based on this experience, I would never do it again. I also found that the lining hung down below the drapes when damp, thankfully this corrected itself when it dried but there were some tense moments! The looked fine when I left and I got paid but until I found a better way, I will continue to run!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom