Carpet Cleaning vs Water Damage & Restoration

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Important Question:

What are your guys takes on carpet cleaning vs water damage restoration?

I hear that the income is significantly higher in water damage restoration.

Would it be wise for me to skip and forego this carpet cleaning venture and head straight into water damage restoration?

I was scheduled to take both the classes for carpet and upholstery cleaning, however, I was also setting my mind to taking on the water damage and restoration course in close time proximity.

I feel that if I can benefit with much more significant income for my time and effort in water damage/restoration, then perhaps that is the wise way to go.

What is your honest opinion and take on this thought process, please?

Last edited:

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
It will easier to find carpet cleaning work unless you have a connection with someone willing to send you wdr work.

Noted. Would it be wise to switch over to a proper box truck to be covered for just in case?

What would the cost difference and equipment difference be?

* I will be taking all 3 classes in close proximity - Carpet Cleaning, Upholstery, and water damage/restoration. I dont mind applying for a starter position with an established company to get my feet wet alongside.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Its difficult to operate a cleaning/wdr business operating out of a van. I'd suggest to look for a good used Spartan type van. It won't require DOT regs and will drive closer to the van feel that a larger box.

The benefits out weigh the fuel disadvantages. You have room to haul anything you might need, for any service you offer. Easy access to perform maintenance. You can stand up in the box instead of stopped over or crawling on your knees.

You'll need all of the carpet cleaning tools even if you do wdr. Wdr equipment, depends on what you but you can get quite a big to startup for 10-15.

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Its difficult to operate a cleaning/wdr business operating out of a van. I'd suggest to look for a good used Spartan type van. It won't require DOT regs and will drive closer to the van feel that a larger box.

The benefits out weigh the fuel disadvantages. You have room to haul anything you might need, for any service you offer. Easy access to perform maintenance. You can stand up in the box instead of stopped over or crawling on your knees.

You'll need all of the carpet cleaning tools even if you do wdr. Wdr equipment, depends on what you but you can get quite a big to startup for 10-15.

I was trying to work with Butler as we speak. Would any of these specifically work accordingly along with their equipment? https://www.butlersystem.com/cube-vans-trucks.html

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Both would work well. We have the one in the GMC works great but it does feel like a box truck. The Isuzu will park and turn easier but ride like cabovers do.

Reactions: Worker

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
get a trailer

more cost effective for you at this point
You'll have more opportunity to generate sustainable revenue carpet cleaning compared to a start-up resto company

..L.T.A.

Thank you.

I will compare and contrast the financial differences on the vehicle swap and trailer alongside.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
contrast the financial differences on the vehicle swap and trailer alongside.

while you're counting beans, count intangibles like PITA factors too .
You won't be hauling around WD equipment (dehues air scrubbers, wall drying snorkles, generator, pumps outs, mops/buckets etc) daily in a CC'ing van .
Cause it will be in your way for daily CC'ing

so on Super Bowl Sunday when a pipe breaks, you'll be loading up drying gear instead of hooking up a dedicated WD trailer and go with "everything" you might need

Unless you have a connect as a "preferred vendor" with several insurance Co's, you're drying gear will be sitting far more than it's on a job.
At least in the start-up years anyway....

..L.T.A.

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
You won't be hauling around WD equipment (dehues air scrubbers, wall drying snorkles, generator, pumps outs, mops/buckets etc) daily in a CC'ing van .

so on Super Bowl Sunday when a pipe breaks, you'll be loading up drying gear instead of hooking up a dedicated WD trailer and go with "everything" you might need

Unless you have a connect as a "preferred vendor" with several insurance Co's, you're drying gear will be sitting far more than it's on a job.

..L.T.A.

Great info. Noted.

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

..L.T.A.
Yeah that would work...if you're a hack or general contractor.

Nothing says non-committal quite like dragging a trailer behind an unmarked pickemup. I will agree that a startup wdr could go a distance between losses though.

Mikey P

Administrator
You’d starve

Compared to your southern talent, I'd probably do as good.

Especially in Tennessee.

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Yeah that would work...if you're a hack or general contractor.

Nothing says non-committal quite like dragging a trailer behind an unmarked pickemup. I will agree that a startup wdr could go a distance between losses though.

Okay, maybe no trailer for me.

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
it's easy for Chavey to spend someone else's money, Sonny

He doesn't have to pay the bills and carry more overhead and expense than what will be needed .....for the next 2 to 5 years....

..L.T.A.

Makes sense. I can always have a semi-wrap designed to match both the van and the trailer so that it can fit a better impression.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
get a trailer

more cost effective for you at this point
You'll have more opportunity to generate sustainable revenue carpet cleaning compared to a start-up resto company

..L.T.A.

I agree with Larry.
I operated with a van for all of my residential & commercial carpet, upholstery & leather cleaning.
When a water or fire damage came in, I simply hooked up the trailer & went to the job.
If the job was so big, I would usually leave the empty trailer secured on site.
My van (back then) was sign written to include all of my services.
The van also for water damage.

PS:: A blast from the past.

WDR by RICHARD CHAVEZ
02/26/2014
Because I was sweating so much I overlooked some of the content in my presentation
Actually I didn't have my notes printed and thought I'd read them off the slide but wasn't able to and use the clicker.
Here is the text from my presentation, a lot of which I didn't cover in my haste to get out of the spotlight.

“Water Damage yea I’ve heard how profitable it can be but water damage work is not for me. I enjoy my weekends and my evenings. Thanks but no thanks.”

I shan't go any further for Richard's sake. :winky: :lol::arrrr::stir::yoda:

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
I agree with Larry.
I operated with a van for all of my residential & commercial carpet, upholstery & leather cleaning.
When a water or fire damage came in, I simply hooked up the trailer & went to the job.
If the job was so big, I would usually leave the empty trailer secured on site.
My van (back then) was sign written to include all of my services.
The van also for water damage.

PS:: A blast from the past.

WDR by RICHARD CHAVEZ
02/26/2014
Because I was sweating so much I overlooked some of the content in my presentation
Actually I didn't have my notes printed and thought I'd read them off the slide but wasn't able to and use the clicker.
Here is the text from my presentation, a lot of which I didn't cover in my haste to get out of the spotlight.

“Water Damage yea I’ve heard how profitable it can be but water damage work is not for me. I enjoy my weekends and my evenings. Thanks but no thanks.”

I shan't go any further for Richard's sake. :winky: :lol::arrrr::stir::yoda:

PPS:: One MAJOR thing, IF you decide to get a trailer, get someone that can drive a semi-trailer to teach you how to reverse the trailer using your mirrors.
If not, you'll soon come to grief and hate it every time you hook-up.
I drove trailers interstate for five years, so I never had a problem.

Still have my semi licence.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Sonny, the difference between carpet cleaning and restoration can be big or small, depending on what type of job you choose to handle. If you handle the water tank leak where you remove a little pad, dry the floor and reinstall, the training required is minimal. Getting into larger jobs where there are wet structural elements will require a lot more education and equipment, and a lot more hassle getting paid for your work, not to mention that you're taking on a lot more liability.

Don't fall for the stories of cleaners making it rich just by handling restoration, particularly if the person telling those stories happens to make their money selling you the needed equipment or training. Many large restoration companies may gross big dollars, but actually have a net profit that is less than a smaller carpet cleaning company.

I'd recommend getting your feet under you with cleaning and making your business run correctly. Whether you should offer restoration in the future would depend on your market and the quality of the restoration companies already there. Trying to start from scratch as a restorer sounds like a very tough way to go.

Worker

Name
Nawaaz "Sonny" Ismail
Sonny, the difference between carpet cleaning and restoration can be big or small, depending on what type of job you choose to handle. If you handle the water tank leak where you remove a little pad, dry the floor and reinstall, the training required is minimal. Getting into larger jobs where there are wet structural elements will require a lot more education and equipment, and a lot more hassle getting paid for your work, not to mention that you're taking on a lot more liability.

Don't fall for the stories of cleaners making it rich just by handling restoration, particularly if the person telling those stories happens to make their money selling you the needed equipment or training. Many large restoration companies may gross big dollars, but actually have a net profit that is less than a smaller carpet cleaning company.

I'd recommend getting your feet under you with cleaning and making your business run correctly. Whether you should offer restoration in the future would depend on your market and the quality of the restoration companies already there. Trying to start from scratch as a restorer sounds like a very tough way to go.

Thank you for your unbiased advice and thorough feedback.

How much is the estimated insurance cost for cleaning vs water damage and restoration?

To prepare for the "what if scenario", would it affect me adversely if I set my truck up for restoration with a 210 tank vs a mid-mounted 110 and adding a couple of additional items like the automatic pump out?

Would it be worthwhile to take all the important restoration courses from the IICRC to gain the education and qualifications for: Water Damage, Structural Drying, Applied Micromedial Remediation, Fire/ Smoke, Trauma, etc?

Or is it truly best to not even think or prepare for restoration chances down the line by looking past the course and not setting up the van for potential restoration chances/opportunities in my early stages or down the line - 6 months at a time? (Was thinking about adding a professional and cleanly matching wrapped trailer with the necessary remaining equipment needed).

Thank you in advance for all of your help and guidance.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
If you have the time and resources, you can never lose out with additional training.

If by attending a class you avoid an otherwise unknown pitfall, then your time and money are well spent.

I went or sent employees for continued training. It was always a value to the business.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Water damage requires a lot of overhead, waiting on payments, crazy hours, but it can be very profitable. If you're an owner operator, your best bet IMO, would be to focus on carpet cleaning because that is money in your pocket right now and you need a steady amount of that to help stay afloat while you're investing labor, materials etc into water damage. Plus, you don't know if you want to do the work yet. I would try to make some contacts with your competition. Check to see which ones do fire and water damage that might need a great cleaning company to clean soft goods like upholstery and mattresses from pack outs and help with extractions. On the soft goods, many times they'll require deodorization which is a great upsale or profit making service.

When I was cleaning, the company I worked for developed a relationship with a large family owned restoration company. They didn't own a single truckmount but had a few portables. We cleaned $50,000-75,000 a year in soft goods for them and many times we deodorized and protected the furniture and insurance paid for it. Simple 50' hose runs into their warehouse and just go to town for half to a whole day making 1,200-1,500. We also ended up doing their duct cleanings and we helped on extractions until we inevitably started doing restoration ourselves.

We started with a 10' trailer, 1 dehu, and 15 airmovers, and a tear out kit with things like prybars, hammers, saws, drills and bits, screw drivers, chalk line, tape measure, etc. Learn who your nearest distributors are and see which of them offer rental services. We had a lot of sump pump failures here especially in one subdivision where we were the first to show up. We got to extract 8 hours, ran to our distributor 1.5 hours away and rented a whole trailer worth of equipment that was 10 dehus and 100 air movers. We were able to negotiate a good price on brand new after that. Sometimes you get lucky like that.

Latest posts

Latest Auctions

Back
Top Bottom