Can I ever get off the truck?

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
I have a business much like Dave Rampage and Mike P. We do very high end stuff, we do things very well and do way more things than 95% of the cleaners I know. I do not make as much money as they do but we will do $250,000 this year. We have a dry when we leave policy, if we can't get the stain out nobody can policy ( money back if someone gets out what we can't, never paid a dime ) and I don't advertise a drop. We get tons of referrals every week.

We get our referrals because we are good and nobody can provide the same service we can.

Here is my problem. I am so crazy anal. I over clean everything. I can't stand anything but 100%. I now have a great employee. He is fantastic. I don't think I can ever replace him or duplicate him again. Every multi truck operation I know has to let the quality go down to get to that position.

I feel I have to let my quality go down, or stay on the truck forever!
If I am hurt my family is screwed. I wonder if a really good clean is a better way to run a business than the best clean possible. That way you may be able to train guys to care as much as you.

The only way you can get an employee to work as hard as you is if they make $70k or more a year. IMO

What to do? My body will not let me do this forever. I would like to run a business not a great job for myself. I have spit blood for my company and not many employees will ever understand what I have done to build this company.

What are your plans Dave and Mike? What are you going to do if you get hurt or come down with MS or something terrible like that? How can I ever learn to let go?

I would like anybody with advice to chime in.

Thank you

G

Get disability insurance in case you get injured and are not able to work for a while. :lol: Odds are this guy will do a good job. I dont think your quality will slip much. Try sending him out and then you can focus on more work to add a second truck , or some other biz that you can do when you get older.

Dolly

Since you have groomed someone who you like, does a good job and you are willing to pay him well.

Let him run the truck alone for a season and then you look for another potential guy to work with him.

when that dude is ready to go full time on his own, then you can fully leave the field. If you should need another dude....Then you do the same

If they need helpers, then they pay for them , if they don't then let em go out on they're own.

If you have large jobs where you need more than one, then send them all out together and split the job.

Your labor cost no more than paying for job than normal.

That is the opportunity for you to oversee the operation and only jump in when you need or want to.

It is one dude and one truck at a time.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
dr_philsmpng.png

sounds to me like you are making it harder on yourself then it needs to be and your chasing your tail................. :D

Attachments

• dr_philsmpng.png
    dr_philsmpng.png
    14 KB · Views: 190

Mikey P

Administrator
Pemberton's has a sale on Chill Pills this month Adam.

You need to relax and realize that not all carpets need a 13 step process and for christ's sakes, ditch that "Dry Before You Write the Check" crap.

When you do get off the truck and you manage to keep that Uber perfectionist tude, you'll drive your employees nuts.

Mellow out and start looking for some less then god like techs. In BFE you should be able to find a army of good help.

You may need to lower you prices to balance things out.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
I can relate I’m a micro-managing control freak I recently hired an experienced rug washer I still handle all the problem rugs my “newâ€ÂÂ

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've always said that I believe these BB's create a false image of our industry for those who come here looking for the "truth." We all boast of the quality of the work we do, and the size of our blowers that we loose sight of this one fact.

I know of no large, multi-truck companies who clean the way bulletin board cleaners profess to clean.

My advice to you is to take your head out of the bulletin board hole and look around at what successful companies are doing.

By-the-way, I am EXACTLY like you are, and in the EXACT same situation. So, I am preaching to myself as well as you.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Did Mike say?

You may need to lower you prices to balance things out.

WTF!!!! Would you lower your prices? that is one thing I have worked so hard at doing, getting my prices up above everyone else.

The ultra fast dry times are one of the things that has built my biz. The V and the airpath has made that a non issue.

harryhides

Name
Tony
admiralclean said:
I've always said that I believe these BB's create a false image of our industry for those who come here looking for the "truth."

My advice to you is to take your head out of the bulletin board hole and look around at what successful companies are doing.
So, I am preaching to myself as well as you.

So who is it that is the number one poster of all time on the Bulletin Boards?

This is priceless, :lol:

Unlike some of these same arrogant braggarts on the boards, I've never boasted super high quality or pricing for the bulk of my business which is based on the level of service that my techs can provide. We simply offer a level of service - the best I get produce with employees and the best equipment and accessories I can justify.
But one thing Marty is quite right about is to be very careful about what one believes from the boards.

G

Adam,

First of all pay does not have much to do with finding a tech that will do quality work or not. You can find that right person if you really want to. You should have every step they need to do in writing in order. Train them yourself. You need to have a system for ensuring quality. Call customers at random to make sure they have followed your guidelines.

I know Mike will not agree with me here but carpet cleaning is not rocket science. I have done many ride alongs and it is pretty easy to train someone quickly to be a top notch cleaner. You need a system in place to ensure they can understand the basics.

With all my ride alongs I did, Chris Augusto was the first that rode with me that had never cleaned a carpet before. I can tell you after working with Chris for a week and working with his dad for another week, they are top notch cleaners.

Give me a call some time Adam if you want ideas on how to train someone new. It's not that hard.

I may be an owner operator now but someday again I may choose to have employees. It does mean more responsibility and headaches and I am not ready for that at this time. Right now while my kids are young, I want to stay small. I have a pretty easy job and like it the way it is.

Growing is not always financially better. I realize that when you have employees you don't have to worry about not being able to work. If I had employees I would probabally start Kart racing again.

Dave

Mikey P

Administrator
I live in a small town Adam...

If I had to keep a few trucks busy all year then yes, I would have to lower my prices.

Only so many are willing to spend 300 an hour to get their floors cleaned.

And if I have to send out a Larry Lunchpail, albeit a well groomed Larry Lunchpail, to do the cleaning, then down comes the price.

adamh

Supportive Member
Name
Adam Hale
Dave

What you said about systems is exactly what I need to do. If everything was spelled out and shown several times I think that would make the difference in training people.

I wonder if anybody has systems already in place that they would like to share?

I did talk to a ChemDry guy one time that told me they carry a book around that has everything you need to do, step by step, all listed by category. For example Pet Stain 1. do this 2. do this 3. do this and so on. It would take alot of time but I think something like that would make it fool proof.

Thank you

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Hey Adam,

I don't have much time to post so this will be short. (Marty says "Thank goodness"!) However, a better question for you may be, "Do I want, really, really WANT, to get off the truck?"

The fact of the matter is many times our lives "evolve" into what we want and are comfortable with. When we try, possibly out of a sense of duty or based on what others are doing, to force ourselves into a different mold it can lead to disaster.

Regardless of your personal spiritual convictions the Bible can function as a great self help book. For example, Galations 6:4 states in my somewhat paraphrased version, "Have cause for exultation in regard to yourself along and NOT in comparison with the other person." (Capital letters mine.)

In other words, Adam, don't let other people's accomplishments/ expectations define your vision of success. Bob Dylan once said, "If a man gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between gets to do what he wants to do- he is a success." (That is quite a switch from the Bible to Dylan in two paragraphs!)

I would only add to Dylan's comment about getting to do what you want to do while at the same time providing for your family's security and financial future AND your eventual retirement. This is a tall order for a lone owner-operator but it IS possible. (I have a short Report covering how to be successful as an owner-operator WITHOUT the tribulations of employees. For an e-mailed copy just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com)

You are to be commended, Adam, for at least asking the right questions and examining your options. Regardless of which road you choose, the worst thing is to float along doing nothing for your future.

Respectfully submitted,

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS The above words have special meaning for me today. Last night I was manually pumping up a big inner tube and bam- threw my back out! If I was a solo operator there is NO WAY I could run a scrub wand right now. One of the downsides of a small operation is you are on a very thin and fragile line- your personal health! Actually one of my upcoming columns in ICS addresses this subject.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
It's not the glided part, Mike. It is just that I can't WALK due to the lower back pain. I am like a crab hunching his way down the sand. Hopefully it will improve by Wednesday as I'm flying from the DR back to the States and "crabbing along" will be no fun. This getting old stuff is no fun.

Steve

PS to Adam: I am sorry, Adam. I forgot to answer your question: "I wonder if anybody has systems already in place that they would like to share?" I'm sure many on here will be willing to share. Your challenge will be combining them all in a cohesive whole AND modifying them into a usable format for your operation. There are two other alternatives:

1) Buy into a franchise. Advantages: Ready made systems and procedures plus a support system to call on plus you will be held accountable. Disadvantages: Initial investment pus ongoing royalties, restricted territories, you must follow all of the franchisor's rules and you will be held accountable.

2) I hear there is a five day seminar available that gives you all the advantages of a franchise with none of the downside. :) You get systems, procedures (over 900 pages) and ongoing support but no royalties, no restricted territory and you can do what you darn well please. Downside: No accountability.

But once again. Seriously look deep into your soul. Ask yourself if you have the "fire in the belly" to build a big operation and even more importantly, do you WANT to? If not, there are alternatives to staying small and still being financially successful.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Running a restaurant with 20-25 employees for many years taught me that nobody is irreplaceable (including myself). There were times that we thought we would sink because our best cook or server took off. Nope, you make the changes and business keeps running as long as it gets monitored well.

Look for young people that are genuinely friendly and don't look like they just got out of jail. I agree with Dave, this isn't rocket science, they can learn the rest with good systems in place.

Oh yeah, I'm with you. Can't wait to get off the truck.
Albert

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
And then just as you're about to step back part time to run 50/50 on and off the truck, you're primary tech ups and leaves :x

Especially when you were 2 days into your long over due 4 weeks anual leave and 1 day after your third child was born :x

But like has been said, no one is indespensible. I found that out in a previous Joinery employment as manager.

2 months on, and I have a fresh young green but keen tech that is showing good promise to be as good if not better than his predecessor.

Another 6 months and I'll be getting close to being albe to ease off again. The frustrating thing for me is that I was just getting into developing all of our procedure manuals and also working on a complete new marketing system to boost certain areas of the business..... and all that has ground to a complete halt while I re train.

I was very close to adding the third tech and if it had happened a few months further on, it wouldn't have inpacted me so personally but that's life I guess.

John

Name
La Canada Carpet Cleaning
Assets

You need to save 10-20% a year and diversify your investments yourself, or with a broker.

After 10 years of CC, I would hope you have a good chunk invested,so you don't have to do every job that you might get.

Its not what you make, Its what you dont have to spend.

250K in Idaho is good, How many jobs a year do you do, and what % is Commercial

Good luck,

Vince

marko

diversify, by stocks that (old school) pay quarterly dividends apply the dividends back into the stock and let them grow...
over time you will ride out the highs and the lows. this approach could and can be viewed as a insurance policy but the stock doesn't vanish like a fart in the wind at the end of the year. compound interest.
slow ride.............

The Wizard

I have been off the trucks for many years and love it. I do however look forward to going out with my guys every so often as the second man.

Our residential guy has been with us for 18 years, yes 18 years. Our commercial guy has been with us for 14 years. Both guys are gifts from up above.

The Wizard.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
only you can know where you want to go in your life, do you want your kids to take over and have a biz worth maga bucks

This is a great biz with all sorts of avenues you can take, an apartment hack like me or high end like koko

i think you need to ask yourself where you want to be in 10years
you got some nice highend hoods up in seattle

and you got all that goes with serving the rich

but before you take everybodys advice, ask your ol lady where does she want both of you to be in 10years
she knows you better then us ....i hope

you already asked the question so you know you want off the truck
now find the help you need to get of it
pay well, be fair, build pride in craftsmanship. thats all i know

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
John,

If you do indeed "have a fresh young green but keen tech that is showing good promise to be as good if not better than his predecessor" may I respectfully submit that an eight month training period before you let him go on his own is way too long. (Especially given all the other important priorities you have waiting on you.)

This lengthy training is even worse because if he is really "keen" such a long training period for what is a basically simple job is going to be pretty demoralizing. Good people enjoy being challenged.

The key is three fold:

1. Train your techs using a "Fast Track Training System". And yes, as you might have guessed I have a Special Report on how to set the system up. (If anybody wants a copy just write me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com and ask for an e-mailed "Fast Track" Report.) This system forces the trainer and the trainee to be accountable by the new employee passing a written test at the end of each day. The result? I had a crew chief able to do simple jobs on his or her own after two weeks of training!

2. Have everything in your truck organized and with every procedure in writing.

3. Don't just throw your newly trained tech to the wolves. Have "easy days" where your dispatcher books simple jobs that he can work alone. Then the tough jobs/ clients you go with him and at the same time give extra training.

This system DOES work. The biggest problem is not the new employee- it is the insecure owner being afraid to give up authority and/or control. I remind every SFS class of Pogo's immortal line, "We have met the enemy- and he is us!"

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS The system also works because of an age-old human motivator. GREED. Every time my new employee passed his daily skills Review the Training Officer received a crisp new 20.00 bill. Plus the Trainee got a 200.00 bonus when he successfully finished his two week Fast Track Training! My total cost? 400.00 but in return I had a motivated crew chief able to do simple jobs on his own- two weeks after starting work for me! The details are all in the Special Report.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Thanks for your input Steve,

I didn't make myself abundantly clear.

I already have a copy of your report and I'm already doing some of that with Jesse.

He is already having his easy days by himself and at the same time on other days we work as a team on difficult jobs and new areas as the work comes in for the whole variety of work that we do.

My 6 month comment above was the time frame I anticipate before I'll be able to retrun to my original plan and lifestyle. And restart where I left off earlier in the year.

This isn't that much different from the way I used to train the new apprentices in the joinery shop when I was foreman for a few years. Not totoally dumping them in the deep end but guage their depth and then drop the level a bit further to get them thinking and bringing the best out of them. At the same time, they have the resources nearby and a helping hand so they don't flounder.

John

Al

I'm on and off the truck right now, doing like Steve says, Kyle gets the easier jobs alone and Shawn or I go on the jobs that are more challenging.

I have everything organized on the truck and systems in place for the guy's to follow. Kyle gets tested regularly and evaluated every thirty days.

He started full time in March.

He can go out and quote some jobs already, he does his own follow up calls for quality control. I listen in on them for now, he had one that he had to go back and touch up a spot but the client is extremely happy with our service.

He is honest and very trustworthy. Drives carefully, is great with customers. The only thing he needs to work on is quality, he can be a little sloppy......

But , sloppy can be fixed......honesty can't.

AL

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom