Butyl

Why is butyl so bad? It is in a lot of the presprays I use by Prochem and other cleaners. I can clean with almost any cleaner as long as I pre-scrub and use hot water. I used to use a specialty prespray called Kaboom by Tennessee Specialty Supply. It was a liquid with a high ph for cleaning empties or dirty carpet, and it was cheap about ten dollars a gallon. I quit using it because it was burning my lungs and once I got used to it the customer was always coughing and choking. I told myself I need to switch if I am going to clean carpet for a living as I don't want cancer. I switched to Chemspec and still got great results with a porty without the choking and strong fumes. This was also when I didn't know much about the cleaning industry. Now I use mostly Prochem.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
danielc said:
Why is butyl so bad? It is in a lot of the presprays I use by Prochem and other cleaners. I can clean with almost any cleaner as long as I pre-scrub and use hot water. I used to use a specialty prespray called Kaboom by Tennessee Specialty Supply. It was a liquid with a high ph for cleaning empties or dirty carpet, and it was cheap about ten dollars a gallon. I quit using it because it was burning my lungs and once I got used to it the customer was always coughing and choking. I told myself I need to switch if I am going to clean carpet for a living as I don't want cancer. I switched to Chemspec and still got great results with a porty without the choking and strong fumes. This was also when I didn't know much about the cleaning industry. Now I use mostly Prochem.

I’m not sure if the point of your post is to pose a question, or make a statement.
Butyl is a suspected carcinogen and damages stain resistant carpet. It gives superior results in some situation and it’s cheap. I view it as a last resort but, will not hesitate to use it if it’s needed.

G

Used in proper amounts and proper dilutionsit is safe. Google butyl and read the safe working level recommended. And yes; a lot of companies still use it; their chemical suppliers changed the chemical properties slightly/just enough to ot affect it's cleaning ability but just enough to change it's name!!

But most still use it at recommended dilutions and ratio's!!

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Hey Ricky,
My experience is that you have to compensate for low heat and psi with agitation and hotter chems. What kind of presprays are you using with that porty? Do you always pre scrub and post pad?

Name
I'm Rick James
In humans, it can irritate mucous membranes and cause liver and kidney damage. Butyl is also a neurotoxin that can depress the nervous system and cause a variety of associated problems.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
FCC said:
http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/dgbe.htm
http://www.dow.com/productsafety/finder/egbe.htm

Thanks for that Fred. Talk about putting lipstick on a pig. Dow doesn't try to sugarcoat the dangers of butyl. They seem to be saying use it at your own risk. And don't be an idiot. It's dangerous. I lost my father and my brother to workplace chemical toxins. Cancer, baby. Any of you fookers who spray this crap down in your HF or pump ups will breath and ingest the vapors and your lungs and liver will process it. You won't deserve the cancer and lung disease you are risking but don't look so shocked when you get this diagnosis. And don't whine.

Butyl CELLOSOLVE™ solvent is a clear, combustible liquid with a mild ether odor. It is completely soluble in water, and is miscible with mineral oils and soaps. It is a good solvent often used in cleaners, inks, paints, coatings and lacquers.Product Uses14,15,16
Butyl CELLOSOLVE solvent is used in coatings and cleaner applications, including many in consumer markets. Butyl CELLOSOLVE solvent is used for:
Active solvent for solvent-based coatings
Coalescent for industrial water-based coatings
Coupling agent for architectural water-borne coatings
Coupling agent and solvent in household and industrial cleaners, rust removers, hard surface cleaners and disinfectants
Primary solvent in solvent-based silk screen printing inks
Coupling agent for resins and dyes in water-based printing inks
Solvent for agricultural pesticides

Exposure Potential17
EGBE is used in the production of industrial and consumer products. Based on the uses for EGBE, the public could be exposed through:

Workplace exposure - Exposure can occur either in an EGBE manufacturing facility or in the various industrial or consumer product manufacturing facilities that use EGBE. Each manufacturing or application facility should have appropriate work processes and safety equipment policies in place to limit unnecessary EGBE exposure. See Health Information.
Consumer exposure to products containing EGBE - Dow does not sell EGBE for direct consumer use, but it is used as a component in coatings, paints, brake fluids, cleaners, etc. Consumers will likely have contact with EGBE. Please review product labels and follow all instructions and guidelines for proper use to help prevent unnecessary exposure. See Health Information.
Environmental releases - In the event of a spill, the focus is on containing the spill to prevent contamination of soil, surface or ground water. For small spills, the EGBE should be absorbed with materials such as dirt or sand. This material is considered practically non-toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis. Adequately ventilate the area to control airborne levels below the exposure guidelines. Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. Consult the relevant SDS for more information about protective equipment and procedures. See Environmental, Health and Physical Hazard Information.
Large release - Industrial spills or releases are infrequent and are generally contained. If a large spill does occur, the material should be captured, collected and re-processed, or disposed of according to applicable governmental requirements. If EGBE is present in a fire situation, it can produce carbon monoxide (highly toxic) and carbon dioxide (an asphyxiant at sufficient concentrations). Containers may rupture from gas generation in a fire situation. Use water spray to cool fire-exposed containers until danger of re-ignition has passed. Violent steam generation may occur upon applications of direct water stream to hot liquids. Deny any unnecessary entry into the area and consider the use of unmanned hose holders. Use of a direct water stream may spread fire. Immediately withdraw all personnel from the area in case of rising sounds from venting safety device or discolorations of the container. Emergency personnel should wear proper protective equipment, including self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA), and follow emergency procedures carefully. When relevant in scale or risk, the community should be notified of the hazards associated with the specific release event. See Environmental, Health and Physical Hazard Information.

Health Information18,19,20
Although some glycol ethers, specifically ethylene glycol methyl ether (EGME) and ethylene glycol ethyl ether (EGEE), cause adverse reproductive effects and birth defects in laboratory animals, EGBE does not show the same pattern of toxicity as these other glycol ethers. Human experience and animal studies have shown that EGBE is unlikely to cause adverse health effects when products are used as directed. Skin contact with EGBE before it is diluted in commercial formulations should be avoided. Airborne concentrations of EGBE should be maintained below permissible exposure limits.21

When used improperly, EGBE can cause eye, respiratory tract and skin irritation. It may cause moderate corneal injury and the eye may be slow to heal. Repeated skin exposure may cause irritation and even a burn. EGBE should not be ingested. Intentional ingestion of EGBE-containing products can be toxic to humans.22

Inhalation may cause headaches, hemolysis (red blood cell breakage) and secondary effects to the kidney and liver. Human red blood cells have been shown to be significantly less sensitive to hemolysis than those of rodents and rabbits.

EGBE inhalation exposure in laboratory animals has been found to reduce body weight gain and food consumption in addition to hemolysis. After exposure was discontinued, these effects in animals disappeared. EGBE does not cause adverse reproductive or birth effects in animals, unless exposures are so high that they cause significant material toxicity.

When EGBE is ingested and metabolized in animals or humans, it is broken down into butoxyacetic acid (BAA), which can cause hemolysis. Humans are less sensitive to the hemolytic effects of BAA seen in rats. Humans could not achieve blood concentrations high enough to cause hemolysis when EGBE is used as directed.

In the most recent inhalation studies, rats and mice were exposed to EGBE in air for their lifetimes. These studies found "some" evidence of cancer in mice and "equivocal" (uncertain) evidence in rats. The increase in tumors was thought to result from the hemolytic effects and irritation that would not occur in humans when EGBE is used as directed. In June 2004, the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) announced that its experts' review found inadequate human evidence of carcinogenicity and limited animal evidence of carcinogenicity for EGBE. EGBE is now classified as a Group 3 substance, which is not classifiable as to its carcinogenicity to humans.23

Also, after extensive review of EGBE toxicity and exposure data, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) removed it from its list of Hazardous Air Pollutants (HAPs) in November 2004. The EPA concluded that the Reference Concentration (RfC) expected for EGBE presents no appreciable risk with lifetime exposure, even for susceptible individuals.24

Labeling classifications for EGBE have also changed. The European Commission Working Group on the Classification and Labeling of Dangerous Substances revised and improved classifications based on new research for EGBE. Product formulations that contain 12.5 to 20 percent EGBE longer need to be labeled as harmful unless other components cause the product to be harmful.25 Formulations containing 20 to 25 percent EGBE may now be labeled as irritants rather than harmful. However, Canadian labeling for EGBE (not diluted products) may be changed to toxic.26

Because EGBE is used as a component in a wide variety of products, it is best to review the product label and follow all instructions for proper use.

Environmental Information27,28
EGBE is practically non-toxic to aquatic organisms on an acute basis. It has caused toxicity in fish and other organisms only at high concentrations.

It is readily biodegradable and does not bioaccumulate (build up in the food chain). EGBE moves to water when it is released because of its high miscibility, low volatility and minimal tendency to bind to soil or sediment. It degrades rapidly in water.

Physical Hazard Information29
EGBE is a combustible liquid. Containers, even those that have been emptied, can contain vapors. Keep this material away from heat, sparks and flame.

Store EGBE in carbon steel, stainless steel or Teflon containers. Do not store in aluminum, copper, galvanized iron, galvanized steel. Do not use Viton, neoprene, nitrile or natural rubber gaskets or seals. Avoid contact with strong acids, strong bases and strong oxidizers. EGBE can oxidize at elevated temperatures.

EGBE is thermally stable at typical use temperatures, but can oxidize at elevated temperatures. It should not be distilled to dryness because it can form peroxides. Decomposition can cause gas generation and pressure in closed systems. Thermal decomposition products can include and are not limited to: aldehydes, ketones and organic acids.

Spills of EGBE on hot, fibrous insulations may result in spontaneous combustion by lowering the auto-ignition temperatures.

Additional physical property information for EGBE is available on the SDS.

Regulatory Information
Regulations may exist that govern the manufacture, sale, transportation, use and/or disposal of EGBE. These regulations may vary by city, state, country or geographic region and may be found by consulting the relevant Safety Data Sheet or Contact Us.

Back
Top Bottom