Burn?

ultraclean

Had a job today the owner is wanting to sell the property and the agent has it open tommorow, master bedroom carpet had a iron burn No donnor capet, no mats,the only thing I could come up with was to crop the area.

06082008034.jpg

06082008035.jpg

I wasnt overly happy with the results but the owner was over the moon.

06082008036.jpg

06082008037.jpg

it looks worse in the photo than it did in person my question is. Is their something that can be used to crop a little more evenly, I know M posted a picture of the machine he uses but it looked rather expensive?

Cousin

Andrew, napping shears?

The cropper I use is a Munsinger, and last time I priced one in Oz they're around the $5,000 mark. Then, if you want, fit an extended handle and vac unit. That way you can stand up to use it, and not have to vac after. So probably about five and a half, or so.

M

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Heath,

I've been drooling over them for 9 months but can't get the courage up to ask my finance manager if I can spend $6k on a piece of equipment that MIGHT bring me in a bit of work.

Unlike drying equipment, it's not going to pay for itself in the first 1-3 years either, BUT on the other hand, it'll raise the pereived level of professionalism that I can portray to my potential clients.

John

Stevea

John,

Just a suggestion, I have had and used these for almost 20 years now and they work great for many portions of repairs. If you get one I am sure you would appreciate what it can do.
dh-29-1.jpg

Having said that, the use of this with burns will work but there is a much better way. If you use this very much with taking out burns you will probably have some problems since it is a precision piece of equipment, melted plastic is very hard and tends to dull the blade and other possibilities. It will work but I think for that use you should look carefully at your purchase.

I am on the road but when I get back in, if you would like maybe we can talk later?

Just my opinion, they are certainly a cool machine to have though.

SA

harryhides

Name
Tony
Looks great Andrew and to finish up to perfection you'll be :D amazed how much better it will look after a little crayon work. :)

Cousin

SA (Steve?), do you know anyone using a cropper with a 300mm blade?

Are they happy with them, or a bit unwieldy.

M

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Oh oh Andrew, you just got booted for the cardinal MB sin of not grooming... :roll:

Nice knowing you :lol:

RX20 I think Mikey, coz he was trying to sell it or was it that he was trying to buy another... useless info regardless :oops:

John

ultraclean

Hay slow down we did groom the job the customer asked me before I started if their was anything I could do with the Burn when they said that they had no carpet or mat's I said no Sorry, it was only while I was working that Remembered the post about cropping out burns so I thought it would be worth a go. Never tried it before and would never have thought it would be possible. But thanks to you guy's and the tool box it something I will be keeping in mind for the future.

Stevea

M

I do not know the size, good question, I will have to find out what the size of the blade is.

(apprecite all of your posts and your addition to the room, with guys like John and Harry and now you, this is really going to be a premium room)

Take care,
SA

Cousin

SA said:
M

I do not know the size, good question, I will have to find out what the size of the blade is.

Steve, if you're referring to the cropper in your pic, it's four and three quarter inches (the blade)

I'm using one as well, and find it a little easier than the B&J I also own. It's a six inch blade, and if your not careful, it will take the top off a loop pile going over bumps.

Which was the reason for my question above, re the 300mm blade (twelve inch)

I only know of one person that had one, sent it back. Too big, and caused too many headaches on undulating pile (uneven subfloor).

Anthony, the croppers we're referring to are essentially for use in rug making. When they have finished making a cut pile rug, they run over the top with these units. Gives them a uniform finish.

We find them handy for removing filamentation, pilling, some marks, sprouting yarn, finishing joins and whatever else we can find that finishes off the carpet appearance.

M

Cousin

Anthony, just to give you some idea of their uses, this job below was an apartment building, just nearing completion.

The carpet (wool blend loop pile) wasn't standing up to initial wear by all the tradies.

It was fuzzing like crazy, and starting to pill.

We went in, spent about a month going through the building and cropped all the carpet.

The carpet in the foreground has fuzzing (filamentation). The other half in the background has been cropped.

M

IMGP1169.jpg

Stevea

M,

I guess I do not know metric very well, now I know what you were referring to. I would think the 12 inch would be too big.

I actually have a wool loop pile carpet this Friday to do some repairs on and it is fuzzing all over, I will probably be shearing it since it is in such good condition otherwise.

I have done some where the carpet had a very poor bundle wrap and fiber slippage, so we sheared it all off in a school. Makes it look like new. I have a hand unit I use for upholstery that will make a pilled piece of goods look like new again.

Here are some shots of a little area rug I did that had terrible fiber slippage, I have shared these before but now they may make a little more sense, I did not use the Micro Shear but my hand shears, still same effect
IMG_2218.jpg

IMG_2219.jpg

IMG_2217.jpg

IMG_2222.jpg

Thanks for sharing the photos M, I will try to get some this week on the one I am to work on.

SA

Back
Top Bottom