Browning on synthetic fibers?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I understand cellulosic browning but have not ever heard an explanation that makes since for the browning on synthetic fibers caused by water damage or occasionally over wetting. An IICRC instructor told me it was just dirt wicking to the surface. It may be just dirt, but I suspect there is something else about the chemistry that would be useful to understand. What exactly causes this type of browning? What is your preferred chemical / method for correction and why does it work?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
There are a number of reasons that this can occur with synthetic carpets. One possiblity is the wicking of soils. You also have the possiblity of cellulosic material in the padding that may have began to brown or in some rare situations there is the possbility of celluosic material such as the subfloor that water can draw residual to the surface. Hard water and hot tub type overflows can cause a heavy browning as well. I've had greats success with a regular cleanup and quick drying. I've used the O2 system in a few situations and it has performed perfectly. I would suspect if cleaning does not bring up the material, they spotting first, followed by a browning treatment and finally an oxidizer left like stain magic.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
I understand cellulosic browning but have not ever heard an explanation that makes since (sense) for the browning on synthetic fibers caused by water damage or occasionally over wetting. An IICRC instructor told me it was just dirt wicking to the surface. It may be just dirt, but I suspect there is something else about the chemistry that would be useful to understand. Nope, nothing about your chemistry that will make a difference. If the problem is residue, you either remove the residue completely, try to get the carpet dry fast enough to beat the wicking, or hide it with an encapsulant.

What exactly causes this type of browning? Could be different in every case. Mostly it's common dirt, plus some oily soil, but it could be anything the customer or another cleaner left behind. Host, baking powder deodorant, potting soil... Lack of airflow through the carpet, whether glued down or having a spill blocker backing, will make it more difficult to remove as quickly as you normally would.

What is your preferred chemical / method for correction and why does it work? Clean until it's clean. In commercial situations, follow cleaning with dirt hiding encapsulant.

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I want to commend you Bryan for telling it like it is.

Except for the possibility that some of the soiling(browning) can be somewhat lightened through oxidation, people are really reluctant to accept that in the end, "wicking" removal on a synthetic is a physical, not a chemical process than can be accomplished with a topical spray. Short of full soil removal, all you can do is suppress the wicking through proper cleaning/drying technique, or as you mention, encapsulate the wicked soil to "hide" it, or help enable subsequent dry removal (provided the encapsulate works as promised).

leesenter

The migrating water in water damage situations often pushes soils to the perimeter and leaves water rings.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
David’s explanation is the best I have heard so far. Most of the time a thorough cleaning and fast drying corrects the problem. There are situations where aggressive cleaning with surfactants or alkaline chemicals does not do the job. Physical removal of the “dirt” is only possible after running the gambit of chemical pretreatments. Other times, the area is stained and must be treated with a reducer or oxidizer.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
We have had excellent results metering Bridgepoint ENCAPU-GUARD.....

We have not had a wicking issue in 6 mths....."knock on wood".....

This product offers dual protection: as it is a light acid and has the benefit of the
encapulation chemistry...

We charge .10 sf. as a fiber rinse & protector on olefin berbers....(mandantory)
We force -dry and post pad all olefins....
Topical application of most (carpet protectors) increase dry-times & can promote wicking..

Keep in mind the humidity we are cleaning in..........

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I also might mention from a retail side of things that Jute backings are making a small comeback, and there are still a number of modernish looking carpets from years ago that have jute backings that we wouldn't think were that old. So that is always a small possiblity to consider. As we have been selling the new Nourison wool tufted series, we have documenting which customer has purchased these products because not only do they utilize a jute backing, they also have a percentage of cotton face fibers. We'll know if our customers did not have us clean the carpets if they call with a browning issue.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom