Bleaching pee pee damage in subfloors

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Before you paint it, the wood should be sanitized with bleach..
How can you clean plywood after it's already absorbed the urine? BS!!! Just Kilz it, slap a pad on top and strap that carpet right over it. Nobody will smell a thing. If you want to earn some extra points, give your customer a wink with your right eye. You'll be a qualified creep with a good smelling job

Reactions: SamIam

Mikey P

Administrator
We've always mopped a bleach water mix on to the effected areas (wood or concrete) fan dried, then painted/varnished, then reinstalled the flooring of choice.

anything less would be uncivilized

Reactions: Bob Pruitt

steve_64

Wouldnt the bleach need days to soak as deep as the pee has?

The humidity around here would kick up the odors eventually I would think.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
We use an enzyme soak followed by a superheated steam extraction.

Then a spraydown with enzyme to soak in and dry.

This one was rotweiler hell

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 608

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
If you are going to seal the floor, only use Zinsser BIN primer sealer and do not use Kilz.

Difference between the two products Kilz has a micron size of. 015 and Zinsser BIN primer has a micron size of. 005. Much tighter and will keep sealed in on hot humid days.

Also make sure the can says BIN on it because Zinsser makes a lot of different paints

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Rather than bleach, how about something like Pet Zone or similar? It's a combination of enzymes and peroxide. I have been having great succes with this on urine saturated carpet and pad. I mix it up and put it into a watering can and shower the carpet with it, let it sit for 1/2 hour or so and rinse. On plywood, you might let it sit longer, maybe put some plastic over the area, then let it dry. Seal with kilz and you are done.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
So bleach isn't neutralized by organic material?
No it is not. I have done tests with soil contaminated with sewage and came up with 0 on the test using fresh 8% bleach. Phenolic and quat made no difference from the control sample. Just don't sell it as a disinfectant. Not approved. I sell as a deodorizer. On the other hand replacing a subfloor is pretty easy if it is not contaminated under the sill plate.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
No it is not. I have done tests with soil contaminated with sewage and came up with 0 on the test using fresh 8% bleach. Phenolic and quat made no difference from the control sample. Just don't sell it as a disinfectant. Not approved. I sell as a deodorizer. On the other hand replacing a subfloor is pretty easy if it is not contaminated under the sill plate.
Thanks Al! Great info to know, very helpful.stuff!!! :cool:

Actually was just being a dik and fishing for Cobb. :winky:

Reactions: Askal

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Finally someone to agree with;). I have replaced subfloor on several homes, it is the way I would fix it if it were my home.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Imo I would use an acid rinse, such as CTI Last Step, to clean the old urine out of the wood, since it is probably on the Alkaline side now. Then seal with the stuff Saiger said to use.
I would be worried that the bleach might attack the sealant or pad n carpet.

Reactions: ronbeatty

rick imby

Name
Rick
Both chlorine bleach and Hydrogen Peroxide are unstable chemicals. They lose an oxygen atom to become stable. The oxygen atom attaches to the stinky organic compound and makes it stable and non stinky. Chlorine bleach leaves a chlorine smell. Hydrogen peroxide leaves a water molecule.

Both Chlorine bleach and Hydrogen Peroxide are stupid cheap. I have no idea why anyone would use chlorine bleach on sub floor instead of hydrogen peroxide...

Larry the Chemist Cobb, help me out---my chemistry is pretty marginal--- Does Chlorine only smell when it is still active (unstable)? Or can we still smell it after it has lost it's extra oxygen?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom