Bed bug spray

Jon

A client tells us that she cannot go into her condo because she is allergic/sensitive to the chemicals that were sprayed to kill bed bugs. I'm thinking complete cleaning with some type of Green or very mild soap & then Hydroxyl & Air Scrubbers? Any thoughts would be appreciated

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
A client tells us that she cannot go into her condo because she is allergic/sensitive to the chemicals that were sprayed to kill bed bugs. I'm thinking complete cleaning with some type of Green or very mild soap & then Hydroxyl & Air Scrubbers? Any thoughts would be appreciated
Try to find out what the sds of the bug spray is.
Some of the bug sprays used might have less things to be allergic to vs the other cleaning products to be used.

I believe some of the treatments for bed bugs are alcohol based (trying to remember our experience in Phoenix RMH situation)

Try to find out if she is allergic to something in particular that could be triggering her situation

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Agree with Mark 100%. Try to find out specifically what is causing this. It could be an actual allergy (proteins must be involved for it to be a true allergy). It could be some other type of reaction. For many people an odor can trigger an adverse reaction. It is easier to get rid of something if you know what you are trying to remove.

Second find out where these products were applied. Depending upon the application method, you may need to treat every surface in the home including some that are difficult to get to. Or you may only need to treat a few surfaces or the air space.

Simply good ventilation can often be very helpful and easy way to improve the situation.

Also be aware that chemical control of bedbugs is far from 100% effective. There may still be bedbugs present. Don't take home any hitchhikers.

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
During flea season a few years ago, I used a home-type flea spray.
Guys, my nose ran and I choked as if I had used tear gas. The effect lasted several days.

I’m not a particularly chemical sensitive guy. Your customer may be reacting to the same sort of thing.

Reactions: steve_64

steve_64

Its probably just an over reaction to the smell of the product.
You could contact the person who applied the product if she would give that info and see what they think. It may need dwell time to be affective.
I've had color loss on jobs like these due to over use on the exterminator part. Maybe just rinse the effected areas first before prespraying or test an area for colorfastness.

Charge more than normal this can get ugly if you don't cover your ass.

Reactions: J Scott W

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
find out if professionally done or "homeowner" dumped OTC crAp all over the joint

if pro, and if you find out who, call them and ask where and how they apply as well what's the best product to neutralize

LTA

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I tend to agree with Jammy

if a pro did it, they just don't dump a bunch these days ... and only in specific places

If the homeowner did it , all bets are off .

too, she might be some freaked out head job imagining all sorts or horrors
and if she's not, and genuinely hyper-allergic , are you genuinely qualified to deal with that type ?

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
PEE-ESSS...

regarding homeowner/tenant DIY pesticide use

I got a call years ago from a prop mngr about a tenant that treated her place.
and was making her sick ...could I fix it

what I discovered was
She bought something from the farm supply store that's used in cattle rubs for fly/tic/lice control

Then she duped 100 times more than is safe FOR CATTLE all over her carpets:eekk:

I told the prop mangr I wouldn't touch it

..L.T.A.

JohnHawkP

Name
John Paton
I have 30 years experience in pest control.

A pest professional will treat everywhere he can including smoothedge, clocks, bed frames and just about everything you look at in the room.

He will use a mixture of liquid, powder and aerosol.

Talk to the pest professional for his advice.

I have heard of people with allergies moving out.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
On these types of jobs it's good to be clear on what you can and can't do. You are not a doctor, you don't know what she is reacting to and you don't have a cure for it. All you can do is try and make it better. Outline your plan of attack but don't make any guaranties or promises.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom