Any Porty only guys here..

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Me. I've run Cleancos, Steam Genie slide in, Prochem Bruin, local PTO, Big Red and so on.

I just do the job that needs to be done in the easiest way possible. I compensate fuel heated water with a dual cord Kleenrite heater. But Mikey I found a niche market where good cleaning skills and common sense will make decent money where a TM isn't feasible. Tomorrow I have a 23 story apartment to clean the halls in. Would you string out that much hose? Would you be able to give a competitive price ? The money is there, just not Mikey Money or red board status. Some guy tried to do it with a new Prochem last year and it took about the same time I do it in. But they prefer that I do it foe security and noise,job quality etc. Go figure.

(I'm driving 500 miles to go look at a Hydramaster Max 470 next week :shock: )

Mikey P

Administrator
would porty that too Willy.

Just dont go cheap on your tract neighborhood jobs is all I'm saying.

You of all people should have a TM AND a porty.

Porty only is for newbs or those that never leave Manhattan.

Bob Foster

Mikey P said:

Willy's area of the West End of Vancouver BC actually has the highest residential population density per hectare in all of Canada and is said to a be greater density than even Manhattan. It is almost all high rises and his business model services a high turn over of apartment rentals and also a very large quantity of million dollar plus luxury condo's. He is truly in a niche market.

This is an actual picture of his service area

wetend.jpg

Vancouver_dusk_pano.jpg

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Just think of all the carpet in that area that's only maybe 15 square miles.A 15 minute drive time gets you from one end to other. A different ballgame from where you service.

-JB-

Name
JB

IF one could average 180K per year per truck are they still a newb, cause I shore don't live in Manhattan!

Becker

Name
Becker
If I had to run a portable again. I think I'd quit and go to work for a restoration company or something.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
I would only clean a 23 story apartment building's hallways with a Cimex and never with a porty and I could do it for half the price.

Willy has an amazing market for porty only work. I thought about that business model before I started, but I found even high end condo owners in my city still don't want to pay what I would need for all the porty hassle.

I went the other extreme and don't do condos or apartments at all.

Becker

Name
Becker
clearly it does not pay well, if a guy was willing to toss it all away for 48k per year full time.

MarkE

OK, maybe this is risky but I’ll bite.

I had a decent older TM, good heat, with an RX-20 along with VLM equipment and a Mytee M-12. My friend wanted to get into the business (as a partner) and he lives a ways from me so I gave him the van and the whole set up except for the M-12 and most of the VLM stuff.

What I miss and find hard to adjust to is the loss of heat and the RX. I really loved cleaning with the RX. I don’t miss tinkering with the TM all the time.

Now there are two things to understand. My situations is unique in that I only clean part-time and I live in the desert in SoCal where most of the houses are 60% tile or more with only some carpet in the bedrooms. So I tweaked my business model to focus only on tile and stone (and I give them a good deal if they add on carpet). Also, the M-12 DRIVES the SX-12 and Mytee 20” spinners with no problem. Grime comes off the tiles just as fast even w/o a lot of heat.

I have timed the work flows and porty cleaning adds 22 minutes to each job. For me, if I am doing 5 jobs a week it’s not an issue; it's factored into the costs. If you are doing 5 jobs a day it starts to cut into productions/profits too much.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Becker said:
clearly it does not pay well, if a guy was willing to toss it all away for 48k per year full time.

Well Beckerhead, you don't know what you're talking about. 48k to START, with room to grow upwards. And I'm not taking it.
Stacey still sending you cheques every month?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yea every time I start a reply knocking Portables I think of Willy an realize my thoughts on them don't hold true in his case.

But most using them don't have the cleaning experience with TM's that Willy does.

How he can clean with them I don't know, he must be a patient man.

Becker

Name
Becker
How he can clean with them I don't know, he must be a patient man.

I might have agreed, until I read the last post.

lol

he launches right into name calling, then trys to get to me by talking about my exwife?

clearly he has littly willy syndrome.

what company hires, and sez.. this is al you will evr make?.. none.. they all say their is room to move up. even in telemarketing.

Mikey P

Administrator
MarkE said:
OK, maybe this is risky but I’ll bite.

I had a decent older TM, good heat, with an RX-20 along with VLM equipment and a Mytee M-12. My friend wanted to get into the business (as a partner) and he lives a ways from me so I gave him the van and the whole set up except for the M-12 and most of the VLM stuff.

What I miss and find hard to adjust to is the loss of heat and the RX. I really loved cleaning with the RX. I don’t miss tinkering with the TM all the time.

Now there are two things to understand. My situations is unique in that I only clean part-time and I live in the desert in SoCal where most of the houses are 60% tile or more with only some carpet in the bedrooms. So I tweaked my business model to focus only on tile and stone (and I give them a good deal if they add on carpet). Also, the M-12 DRIVES the SX-12 and Mytee 20” spinners with no problem. Grime comes off the tiles just as fast even w/o a lot of heat.

I have timed the work flows and porty cleaning adds 22 minutes to each job. For me, if I am doing 5 jobs a week it’s not an issue; it's factored into the costs. If you are doing 5 jobs a day it starts to cut into productions/profits too much.

A porty sounds Ideal for you.

I would get the Mytee Booster for carpet jobs.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
hmmmmm- Beeker, you start making assumptions on something you know NOTHING about, so I gave you a little slap upside.
So how much are Stacey's cheques each month?

And what happened with the police work you were all hyped up about going into? Couldn't cut it?

Finally, why would you bring up the size of my doodle?

Do you spend a lot of time worrying about other men's units? :roll:

Becker

Name
Becker
Who said anything about your cock?

Your name is Willy right?
I did say little Willy syndrome right?

I'll have to reread what I wrote.

No one gets into Police work for the money, much like the armed services. Or most teachers.

Checks have stopped, sadly unemployment does not afford for the gravy train to continue. Hopefully soon, I could use the money.

What company hires and sez... OK.. I will start you at 48k.. but this is the ceiling. No room to move up or make more?
NONE!

Hell the local telemarketers fast track all new hires into management.

Come down off those high rises Willy. The air must be thin and polluted.

Just remember, when someone calls you Willy they are not talking about your "gear"

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I worked for a carpet cleaning company that only used truckmonts for a couple years. After strating my own business about 4 years ago I ony use portys. I have a recoil with 2 inch hose I get great suction from and can run decent hose lengths , I also have a couple back up ortys along with a 175 for scrubbing. I dont regret using portys although they are a hassle sometimes. Last year I had an opening in my budget and rather than getting a truckmount I chose to get a cimex instead as I thought it would give me a better edge on large commercial stuff since I know of only a couple people in our are that even use the cimex. On the other hand I only do around 5 jobs per week so using a porty doesnt slow me down much. If I get alot busier especialy with residential I will get a tm.

Back
Top Bottom