Another GH warranty issue

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Inspected this job yesterday and I have to decide what to recommend.

4 rows by 1-1.5" long where the rows are totally flat without any height variation.
IMG_3748.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

IMG_3750.jpg

Being more than 1 row wide, and so long, I'm not game to suggest a total re tuft, however, my gut feeling is that on the cream only, periodic tufts removed and re tufted lower would do the trick.

They are extremely cautious regarding any sort of graft or insert. It's on the edge of a walkway so my concern is that if I grafted it, it may 'feel' stiff under foot.

I'm not sure an insert is correct either because the existing joins are rather obvious from minor peaking.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John the loops are lower than the rest. Does it seem like it has to much tension on the row. Can you insert a round awl,knitting needle or something similar and pull them more to the surface.

John Watson

Yup sure looks like low row normally caused by the tensioner being to tight. I have had great success grafting these type of mill defects.

Sounds like you already told them there might be problems. Your repair is still alot less than replacement. But, there still a chance your repair will fix it...or it might not, They decide I have given this option many times and more times than not they try the repair first....

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Just revisiting this option...

they have come back asking how noticable a graft would be for walking on?

I've assured them it won't be noticable visually, or at least within a very short amount of time, but I did say they might feel in under foot.

How noticeable?

When I did a graft across a doorway recently, you could feel it underfoot. Harder and not as flexible as the surrounding carpet.

Is there a better glue to use? Maybe more flexible? Or did I use too much?

In this case, I was doing a bead along each seam, and then across the original seam as well.

On one of Tony's ones he showed us, he used a syringe to apply the glue (latex?) and it was only around the edges.

Cheers, John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I used hot melt glue gun with just the common glue sticks that you buy at any hardware store.

What I'm wondering is if I used too much glue and ended up with a solis section almost 2" wide.

John

ultraclean

Could you not use a rubber based contact adhesive, not as fast as the hot glue but more flexible?

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
A rubber based contact adhesive not. Solvent yes. How about using latex. John this is the most flexible you can get. I meant to speak to you about glue sticks. John always use a low melting point on carpet .

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Re: Anther GH warranty issue

Contact is not rubber based it is solvent or water based. Latex may be a rubber based or a sythentic.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

Well, then sales rep came back to me late last week asking more questions.

Like if it could be re burled? Yes, how long? don't know, but a number of hours for me at least.

Also asked if I thought a repair was an option I said while I could get it close to 100% I didn't think that was advisable to repair and warrantied carpet.

She then asked me straight, what would you recommend? I said replacement almost without hesitation.

I did say to her I'd be ok to do a small test of re burling if the rep wanted that attempted so I could show the clients likely results and also get them a closer idea of costing although costing shouldn't be an issue here.

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers

Let me ask this question reburling or retufting . Can you give me the proper procedure being done. I know to re -burl is to add material to a lets say wilton. This is to re sew the missing materiel back in to the loop that was miss in the weaving process. Now re -tufting is to add yarn into the backing through a hand tufting mechanismn. Is there anyone that can explain the proper procedure with out using a glue gun. A glue gun is not a way to actually re burl or re tuft. I would re- tuft an axminster and re burel a wilton or a velvet . I would like to hear your methods on this. :D

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

When I refer to re futing Harry, I'm referring to hand sewing uindividual tufts back into gaps in a tufted carpet.

Here's a small Camavier Bremworth claim I did about a week ago.

Tension problem. 2" of the lighter colour raised too high the next 2" too low and not visible.
IMG_3902.jpg

Problem tufts removed.
IMG_3903.jpg

Half way, not as pretty as what M can achieve, and no you can't see my custon designed needles :wink:
IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

Finished. As good as I can get it. Looking closely, I don't have enough variation of height, but I'm still learning. Standing back, not visible.
IMG_3906.jpg

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John

Thanks Harry.

M, (don't know if you are 'in' yet... if not, PM Mikey and let him know your username/paypal name so he can connect the details) because the majority of our audience here is yanks, I've made a conscious effort to adopt the US terminology for the most part when describing things.

I was raised in the building trade with both metric and imperial being quoted so sizing isn't a problem, then it's just materials etc.

For you guys that don't know him, Michael (M) has been in the industry since 1979, been heavily involved in the local association scene including State president I think from memory, also been involved in the Australian Standards Commitee, grew his business up to 6 staff and then scaled back where his work now is predominately fixing problems in carpet for carpet manufacturers or retailers. In his own words... I still do some carpet cleaning, mostly to ‘keep my hand in’, and I still enjoy the challenge of what to do with this mess, and the look on customers faces when they see just how good their carpet can look.

I spent a few days with him last year when we did the WoolSafe Carpet Inspectors course together and had the best of time and learnt heaps.

He'll be a great asset to this forum and in particular this ToolBox room.

Welcome M. Sorry about the poor bio effort on my part :oops: Feel free to embelish it a little more :lol:

John

Cousin

You made all that up, didn't you John :lol:

Guess I can't hide from my own words.

Most of what I do in rectifying carpet is self taught, because very few people do this sort of work in Oz.

And as such, I've developed some of my own ways of doing things. But there's also lots I've just never touched, either I don't see it, or don't know how.

I'm here to learn, and I have no doubts I'll do plenty of that.

Harry, just back to re tufting and re burling. Just so I can get my head around the terminology. Re tufting, is to hand stitch pile back into a tufted carpet. Re burling is to re construct (again by hand, not any sort of machine) a woven carpet. Is this a correct comparison?

Thanks. M

And I guess I should explain a bit of my terminology. I just type M cos I'm lazy. Too many letters in Michael

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers

Re-Burling can be done to a berber looped , wilton , velvet . I prefer the term of retufting with a carpet that consist of tufts like an Axminster or any sort of pile as you say . It is good to have you hear Michael. John is a great (ass)et , as well .No pun intended Jon. :lol:

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel

Good to see you over here M 8)

I will back John up here and vouch for this bloke too. Michael is extremely professional in every sense. He will drop nuggets of gold info every now and then :wink: if and when he isn't discussing his love for Guinness :lol:

Jim

Cousin

Still trying to sell me a truck mount, eh Jim? :lol:

And I'm off the Guinness.

Just for the moment. But I'll stock up again tomorrow. :mrgreen:

And I guess after those kind words it's my shout. Thanks :D

M

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
lol - Didn't know you were looking :wink: Nothing wrong with the 'vintage vac' is there. I wouldn't think you do enough real world cleaning to warrant upgrading :lol: Just kidding.

There are a few guys on each board I frequent that I respect highly. You are one of them. You always provide smart, well thought out posts, or constructive criticism when it is needed from whomever.

Enough of the rant, as you will get so much of a fat head, you won't be able to leave your house in the morning. We best be going to back to hanging crap on each other - it sounds way more manly. :p

Jim

Back
Top Bottom