Am I crazy...

for considering a smartstrand frieze for our master br and hall? I told the wife we should stick with nylon, but she likes how soft the smartstrand is, and I have to agree, it is very soft. I just wonder if it exhibits the same characteristics as other polys.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
We have been testing our Smartstrand Karastan products for about a year or so now. They have great cleanablity and stain resistant properties and are more like Nylon than Polyester. We are still not convinced that it will have the same resilience and resist the mat and crush like Nylon. But I'm assuming you will be taking care of the cleaning. Smartstand in a frieze have a great potential , I think you'd be happy it. The tight twist in the Frieze will help aleviate some of the mat crush as well. I'b be curious to know what product you ultimatly go with.

Greenie

I dunno..the friezes I've seen are all sparsely layed out, they are not very dense, it seems the fibers want to lay over quite quickly. Where is the resilance?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Let us know how it holds up.

I have a deep prejudice against anything associated with polyester, and cynical attitude about anything the carpet mills claim about their "stuff".

I'd like to be wrong on this one.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I just went with a high grade astro turf for my living room/hallway.

Kinda adds to the jungle theme I have.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
I can kinda tell when I am dealing with a crap carpet. Usually when I realize it's a poly frieze. However, all this is confirmed when I take the first wet vacuum pass on the carpet. If the wand doesn't grab onto the carpet I know I'm screwed. A nylon frieze (few and far between) will have some substance to grab onto. The poly are made out of air (The hot air that came out of the salesman's mouth) and empty promises and a few pop bottles. There is no substance, and the wand just doesn't grab.

Am I crazy or does anybody else notice this?

I say fire up your truck on a sample and see if there is anything for the wand to grab onto. That's my test. If the wand doesn't grab onto it go onto the next one. I've found the better the wand grabs it the better it cleans up.

Greenie

As soon as you get Gary's "no grab" scenario...you better bust out the scrubber...it needs scrubbing.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
after scrubbing does it somehow magically grab or is that the indicator that the carpet construction dictates extra agitation to achieve passable results?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
B&BGaryC said:
I can kinda tell when I am dealing with a crap carpet. Usually when I realize it's a poly frieze. However, all this is confirmed when I take the first wet vacuum pass on the carpet. If the wand doesn't grab onto the carpet I know I'm screwed. A nylon frieze (few and far between) will have some substance to grab onto. The poly are made out of air (The hot air that came out of the salesman's mouth) and empty promises and a few pop bottles. There is no substance, and the wand just doesn't grab.

I say fire up your truck on a sample and see if there is anything for the wand to grab onto. That's my test. If the wand doesn't grab onto it go onto the next one. I've found the better the wand grabs it the better it cleans up.

So true. I have that crap in my house. The only house that I have ever cleaned where it took 5 hours to dry WITH a dry pass!! I am normally under an hour. I so want to change it, but not enough time to worry non-important issues right now.

Greenie

It's also the first place I realized a hole glide was not the cats meow...hybrid or slot works better on it.

Greenie

I think you got a flawed product, told Lisa to send you a new one to see if that helps, u will get the shipping confirmation email when it leaves here.

wired

Nice carpet Fred. I had a client who had the same carpet color and design only it was wool. She also had white wool in her house very hard to clean. How would you clean this and what prespray would you use. would Judson juice work with the rinse? Most of the carpet was clean. This is a very upscale house. Gate ,cameras everywhere. Very nice people . Thanks

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
boazcan said:
B&BGaryC said:

So true. I have that crap in my house. The only house that I have ever cleaned where it took 5 hours to dry WITH a dry pass!! I am normally under an hour. I so want to change it, but not enough time to worry non-important issues right now.

CRAP! I'm lying to people. I didn't know those poly frieze's took that long to dry.

Before I went to SFS the company owner had decided I didn't know how to market because he never let me see a whole marketing campaign through to the end, so he decided to have a try... WITH OUR YELLOWPAGE AD!

Fastest Drying Steam Cleaning in Montana

Our technicians are skilled at cleaning up
the worst of disasters...
Imagine what they can do with your
everyday household soiling

BEST QUALITY * BEST SERVICE
BEST PRICE

WE ALSO DO DISASTER CLEAN UP

CALL: (DEX LISTED THE WRONG NUMBERS)

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Now I am going to have a bunch of price shoppers calling into the disaster division of the company expecting ALL carpets to dry in under an hour. I can get nylon dry with a meter in less than a half hour, but I don't own a vortex. I only have a 47 blower. If it wasn't for the airpath I wouldn't be able to achieve those dry times. Under bad circumstances the machine doesn't pull like it should (Like with poly and some olefins) the fan can't make up for it and it'll take 2 hours to dry.

Or what about when I add protector? Sometimes it dries in the same amount of time. However my friend with a cheap olefin berber told me the carpet took 6 hours for the protect to dry, the carpet was checked and verified as dry with a moisture probe prior to applying the protector.

Any advice guys?

Gee whiz... If one of you mods feels sorry for the author of this thread starter you can split me off into my own thread.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Greenie said:
I dunno..the friezes I've seen are all sparsely layed out, they are not very dense, it seems the fibers want to lay over quite quickly. Where is the resilance?

Greenie, just like any product, the better quality the frieze the more dense its going to be. A true high Twist Nylon Frieze has better resilience than many of the Nylon berbers in years past. We have seen several customers with 10 year old Karastan Nylon Frieze's that recieve an absolute beating and they look just a good as the day they were installed... maintained correctly of course. Now Poly Frieze's I agree.. they are crap... you won't find a polyester anywhere in our store except the trial peace we got from mohawk about 15 years ago in one of our offices.. (it looks like crap) The only Olefin we have may be the polypropolene in the backing or maybe a few olefin rugs. But the Smartstrand made with the Dupont Sorona, although may contain some polyester, its completely different fromt he recycled pop bottle pet stuff. Chemically and physically its acts much different. And again I don't expect to see great resislience with stuff but a well made dense frieze made with this fiber will resist the matting and crushing better than say a cut pile and will hide traffic paths a little better.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
sweendogg said:
Greenie said:

Greenie, just like any product, the better quality the frieze the more dense its going to be. A true high Twist Nylon Frieze has better resilience than many of the Nylon berbers in years past. We have seen several customers with 10 year old Karastan Nylon Frieze's that recieve an absolute beating and they look just a good as the day they were installed... maintained correctly of course. Now Poly Frieze's I agree.. they are crap... you won't find a polyester anywhere in our store except the trial peace we got from mohawk about 15 years ago in one of our offices.. (it looks like crap) The only Olefin we have may be the polypropolene in the backing or maybe a few olefin rugs. But the Smartstrand made with the Dupont Sorona, although may contain some polyester, its completely different fromt he recycled pop bottle pet stuff. Chemically and physically its acts much different. And again I don't expect to see great resislience with stuff but a well made dense frieze made with this fiber will resist the matting and crushing better than say a cut pile and will hide traffic paths a little better.

SmartStrand (Dupont 3GT/PTT) is chemically speaking is very different from PET. What I see in the field is very positive so far. However it is still a fairly new product (2005) We still need to see how it does after a few more years and more cleanings, but so far I am impressed with it's performance.

Thanks for all the feedback on the Smartstrand. I still haven't decided what to go with yet as we won't be ready for a few more months. I'm still leaning towards a good quality nylon, but depending on where the budget is at (complete home rebuild) I may just lean towards the smartstrand. I really like the style of carpet that Fred and Chavez installed in their homes, but no way will the wife go for anything like that :roll:, after all, I'm a smart guy and know keeping her happy will eventually lead to keeping myself happy :p

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
my neighbor has it, only problem has been from the kitchen exit

traffic pattern is hard to get out

other then that it was been fine

I clean it 1 or 2 times a year for the last 3 years, they have a cat, dog one middle schooler and a house keeper that does a good job

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
The only smart thing we did was put tile down in the high traffic areas.

All main floor halls, bath's, dining room and kitchen are tile. The rest is carpet, I'd prefer carpet in the halls, but as much mud that we track in, I'll glad we choose tile.

Keep the wife happy, give her what she wants or convince her she wants what you want! :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom