175 is better

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Finally had to replace an old 17 inch Clarke because an internal part broke and everything is discontinued. The new one cost $1,200, $500 less than the one we bought 15 years ago.

Yep, It's an $800 no-name, straight from China with Clarke stickers where the (your brand here) stickers go. Paid a lot for those Clarke stickers.

Reactions: Cleanworks

steve_64

The 175 is an easy upsell.
Better/stronger pretreatment more het and slower passes can get the job done too. It's usually just traffic lanes not the whole carpet that needs extra work.

Just depends on what you're trying to accomplish and how much the custy will pay.

Reactions: Cleanworks

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
So let's talk "better"...
A 400 rpm planetary Cimex machine is better than a 175.
A 1725 opm OP machine is better than a 175.
A CRB machine lifts the pile and digs out more crud than a 175 = better.
[All 3 are safer for the carpet fiber]

A 175 takes more training for a new tech. It puts more strain on the hips and shoulders as you steer the machine. And it torques the carpet making it easier to distort the fiber (which is why the mils all say no to rotaries). The only advantage of a 175 is that they're cheaper to buy.

Last edited:

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
So let's talk "better"...
A 400 rpm planetary Cimex machine is better than a 175.
A 1725 opm OP machine is better than a 175.
A CRB machine lifts the pile and digs out more crud than a 175 = better.
[All 3 are safer for the carpet fiber]

A 175 takes more training for a new tech. It puts more strain on the hips and shoulders as you steer the machine. And it torques the carpet making it easier to distort the fiber (which is why the mils all say no to rotaries). The only advantage of a 175 is that they're cheaper to buy.
Leaves a Vibe on cut pile in one place for more than 2 seconds and see how safe it is.

Furthermore, the post was literally discussing the rotary as a pre-scrub tool for hot water extraction.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
There’s not doubt a 175 is an excellent scrubbing
tool. But, it’s not as efficient as a crb. The crb makes a great scrubber all the while being easier to manage in residential setting. By the way, I hate residential if you haven’t heard. If I had to drag a 175 in and out of a house, that would be worse!

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
Leaves a Vibe on cut pile in one place for more than 2 seconds and see how safe it is.

Furthermore, the post was literally discussing the rotary as a pre-scrub tool for hot water extraction.

I agree. Leave ANY machine running on cut pile carpet and your in for trouble. Although the Vibe actually has CRI approval. No rotary machine has ever been certified by the CRI.

Reactions: sassyotto

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I agree. Leave ANY machine running on cut pile carpet and your in for trouble. Although the Vibe actually has CRI approval. No rotary machine has ever been certified by the CRI.
There’s a huge difference in tip bloom potential between a 3/8 orbit like the vibe and the 9/16 orbit like the Trinity machines. I have owned both and it’s a real difference.

Just shows what the CRI is.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I used a 175 for a couple of years as a stand alone tool. Shampooing carpets and extracting with a wet/dry vac. That's what we did before truck mounts were a thing. Never noticed any distortion. Always used a good quality shampoo that provided the proper lubrication. Still use a 175 with shampoo tank in the shop for delicate area rugs. No distortion ever. Less friction than running a pad.

Reactions: encapman

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I used a 175 for a couple of years as a stand alone tool. Shampooing carpets and extracting with a wet/dry vac. That's what we did before truck mounts were a thing. Never noticed any distortion. Always used a good quality shampoo that provided the proper lubrication. Still use a 175 with shampoo tank in the shop for delicate area rugs. No distortion ever. Less friction than running a pad.

I've cleaned literally millions of sq ft of commercial carpet with a 175. It can be done without damaging the carpet. Like everything — the level of skill of the operator bears directly on the outcome.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Altogether through the years we’ve sold more Cimex machines. But in recent years orbitals have sold slightly higher.
I bought 3 crb from Rick.

The reason the crb is best......

You'll use it.

My 117 lb 175 hasn't left the garage in 5 years.

I would use my vibe every time over it.

But my 10 inch and 15 inch crb are go too's

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom