Would you send a customer

to your competition?

How many of you guys spot dye carpet? This is something I need to learn and fast. I know the basic strategy. Add red dye to a yellow bleach stain on tan carpet etc. I have a customer that wants a large area with about 10 bleach stains repaired. This area is right in the middle of a high traffic area. Dyeing would be the best solution. A large patch would look ok, but not great. I am awesome at doing patches and seam repairs by the way. Would you refer this customer to someone who does spot dyeing and hope the customer doesn't stop using your service, or would you tell the customer that a patch is the way to go but not reccomeded due to it being in a high traffic area? This customer spends about 1500 a month with me.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Suck it up and color the carpet. If you mess up just bleach it out and do it again. Practice makes perfect

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I send many clients to competitors all the time..I just did one tonight before I went to another job...
There is a hand full of us that work together and help each other out all the time...Mind you I don't just send them to anyone..these are guys that I know and we work together..we all have different things that we do that one may not be able to.... or just over booked...we never steal each others client and we always watch each others backs...

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I've been sending work to one of my competitors in the last year for dyeing and piss work.

G

Patch it ! are learn to dye fast! DON'T take a chance at losing $1500.00 a month.
JMI

Good Luck

Cheers, AL

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
The only work we will send to competition is crap work that's a waste of time. A customer like your talking about the butters your bread we would never farm out to another company. Even if you had to purchase new carpet like posted above I wouldn't take the chance.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
as a person that gets work from other carpet cleaners. i would never dream of steeling the custy
today im going to take care of a wd for another rug sucker that does not do wd...(he knows how just does not like it) and prob give him a kick back for the job

the up side .when i was out of town on a truma scene job, i got a wd come in, with a phone call the other cleaner went to my house(nobody home) got the equipment needed and went and started the job for me

i have also done repair work for him and another guy with 7 trucks on the road. patchs, spot dyes etc

make your custy happy, do right by them and they should do right by you

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Customer's best interest before your own. If you can do the dye job, great. If not, find someone for her who can.

I would not patch a spot that just needs color. Get some Crayolas and carpets samples to practice. Easy to get good results.

I've worked with other cc'ers many times. Never got snaked (as far as I know).

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
cu said:
as a person that gets work from other carpet cleaners. i would never dream of steeling the custy...

Well said!! I also work in a group of guys and I know I NEVER leave my material or send stuff out to one of their customers if I know beforehand. I expect them to go back to their cleaner the next time.

...and I expect, and get, the same.

John

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Larry B said:
The only work we will send to competition is crap work that's a waste of time. A customer like your talking about the butters your bread we would never farm out to another company. Even if you had to purchase new carpet like posted above I wouldn't take the chance.

Gee Thanks Larry! Guess I know why you offered to have me clean that Verizon building for you a while back! I feel so warm and fuzzy inside... or maybe thats the taco bell speaking! :oops: :twisted: :roll: :mrgreen:

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
sweendogg said:
Larry B said:

Gee Thanks Larry! Guess I know why you offered to have me clean that Verizon building for you a while back! I feel so warm and fuzzy inside... or maybe thats the taco bell speaking! :oops: :twisted: :roll: :mrgreen:

Don'T take it personal. That place dont butter my bread plus we still have 3 years on the contract :lol:

That's a completely different kind of customer :lol:

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
or would you tell the customer that a patch is the way to go but not reccomeded due to it being in a high traffic area?
If you're really awesome at carpet repair you should have no fear of putting a section anywhere. But, since you're awesome at repair, you have nothing to lose but time by trying to color it.

The area with bleach staining is fairly large. I would have to replace an entire corner of the room or 1/4 of the room. The carpet is very worn in the high traffic areas. A patch really would not look right. The cost to have the carpet dyed would be around 200 dollars. I explained to the customer that I could put a new peice of carpet in if there was any spare carpet. I then explained that I could take the carpet out of a large closet and you know the rest. The customer does not want to do this because the bleach stains would then be in the closet.

On a cost basis and since the carpet is 12 years old. The customer is having new carpet put down in one room. If I was skilled at carpet repair, I wouln't do the job for less than 200. New carpet is the best solution.

G

danielc said:
to your competition?

How many of you guys spot dye carpet? This is something I need to learn and fast. I know the basic strategy. Add red dye to a yellow bleach stain on tan carpet etc. I have a customer that wants a large area with about 10 bleach stains repaired. This area is right in the middle of a high traffic area. Dyeing would be the best solution. A large patch would look ok, but not great. I am awesome at doing patches and seam repairs by the way. Would you refer this customer to someone who does spot dyeing and hope the customer doesn't stop using your service, or would you tell the customer that a patch is the way to go but not reccomeded due to it being in a high traffic area? This customer spends about 1500 a month with me.

How big are the bleach spots? and if you add red to yellow,you get orange not tan.If you knew your basic coloring I would say to do it but,start with a weak batch,it is easier to add color than take it away.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom