Why hasn't anyone created a 20+ truck co. that...

minuteman

This "challenging Metro Detroit economy" is true, I was in Milwaukee in January of this year for 10 days to enjoy my Mothers 90th birthday with her, heard all about how bad the economy was in Detroit around 30% unemployment according to friends and the local news.
Detroit is not the car capitol of the world anymore.

Greg

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
The loss of jobs in the Detroit area impacts almost all types of medium to large businesses and many small ones. An owner operator may or may not be impacted but when you have 50,000 + annual transactions and for a variety of reasons some of these are delayed, cancelled or look to cheaper products or services it creates a challenge.

Increased marketing efforts help, but only to a certain level and even that erodes margin.

Ken

Name
Jesse
Venturi is doing it daily. LOL

I bought one of their wands and I have no clue what the F they were thinking with that thing. Maybe I need a V.

Scott Hayward

You guys...always picking on Ken. I can't speak for Ken but I would speculate that the economy around Detroit is in the toilet like the rest of Michingan. Detroit is a tough city when times are good let alone when the times are bad.

Ken, if your making money in Detroit your doing good! Just don't move your company to the West Coast.

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
Daimler just divorced Chrysler Today, I moved out of Detroit in 1981 with thousands of other people to Houston, Tx.
Legacy Costs for Chrysler is something like $1300.00. Per Vehicle.
Legacy Costs for Toyota is $100.00 per Vehicle.

Good Luck , Motor City

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Greenie said:
The problem is customers don't really know the difference between clean and really clean, just as long as it looks better and doesn't smell.

Stanley Steemer has a loyal repeat customer base in some cities, and when you ask them why Stanley, they will straight up tell you, we like to get the carpet cleaned twice a year, and it's under a hundred bucks, and they are quick.

Stanley Steemer as come to our town,marketed heavily, gone out of business, changed ownership, come to our town, marketed heavily, gone out of business, changed ownership, come back again, and now they are charging more than the local companies and marketing less than the last two attempts. They are about due to go out of business again.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Two weeks ago our resident pork farmer summed it up beautifully with his pithy (pissy?) post:

"Let's be honest here. There is a serious disconnect between what a customer expects, and what BB cleaners think they want. Folks like Ken understand that.

Idiots like the rest of us just keep posting."

Folks, we are selling a SERVICE. The value of any service is determined by the customer's Perception of Value. When carpet cleaners start to build their procedures (and hire their employees) by looking through the eyes of their customers is when they grow. (In no way am I suggesting doing marginal work. But in the real world you do hit the point of diminishing returns.)

Steve Toburen CR
Director of Training
Jon-Don's Strategies for Success

PS I've had the privilege of having both Howard and Ken in our SFS seminar. (I think Ken has attended SFS two or three times- slow learner you know!) Both of them are intelligent and articulate business managers who have built great companies and in the process helped hundreds of people provide for their family. I think it is called the American Dream.

I find it amazing that Ken, Howard and other successful entrepreneurs need to defend their accomplishments here in our little internet world. Just look how many times in just the thread above how Ken had to "defend" himself and his company. If we are not careful one of these days Ken will simply fold his tent up and ride away- and this board will lose possibly its most valuable member.

PPS On edit (and upon reflection) I don't think I ever answered your original question, Mikey. (It got lost in my rant!) Yes, there are customers that will pay for quality work as THEY perceive it. (And no- we are not talking smoke and mirrors here.) We have around 2,000 SFS members. My guess is maybe 50 or so are running operations with ten or more trucks. Many more are in various growth stages with five or more trucks. And of course some may still be- by choice- on the truck. No problem.

I think Bob Dylan made one of the most pithy and succinct comments ever on success: "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between gets to do what he wants to do." I would add that an individual who has achieved this state and is secure in this accomplishment does not feel the need to attack someone else's definition of success. (When was the last time anyone saw Ken putting down some ones decision to stay working on the truck?)

G

When your on top of the mountain everyone else will attack you.

Keep up the work Ken.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Steve Toburen said:
"Let's be honest here. There is a serious disconnect between what a customer expects, and what BB cleaners think they want.

BB Cleaners better mean "Bargain Basement" and not B&B in MT... :shock:

Dan Joner

He will, but there is a price. You will need to invest a commitment to attend SFS. You can't expect to get it all for free on the board piecemeal. Steve is a generous guy and will give and give, but you've got to jump in at some point and sit down at the table an pick up the fork and knife for yourself.

You know, when you do FINALLY attend SFS, I'm sure every one here will want to attend too just to watch the whole thing unfold.

Steve, when that day comes be sure to reserve a convention center.

K

KATRACHO

Re: Why hasn't it been done yet?

Mikey P said:
Do you think it would be impossible to create a multi ( 20+) truck company that actually does great work?

Is there a market somewhere that would be willing to pay enough so the techs could take their time?

Will there ever be a 30 truck company that pre vacs, pre sprays, aggitates, rinses and speed drys?

Is there a city with enough people that not only know quality but are willing to pay for it?

maybe if all the cleaners in this board get united and make one company you will have one of the most powerful carpet cleaning company's in the nation. i think it will be more than 30 trucks

S

Scott Noble

Maybe some here actually like or like the idea of working in a large company. Personally I'm retiring from working with a large company in Jan to run my carpet business. My brother retired from the same place two years ago and it took him a year to detoxify. Can't wait to start mine.

Big companies are hardly the end all. I'm not saying they don't have the right to exist, no not at all but that they are what they are. Having a small customer base that's all mine and not having to pick up after weaker team members is like a blessing, at least for me.

I welcome a large multi-truck operation in Sac, Ca. I've seen for myself a sea of prospects that are just waiting for a personal touch. Enough customers exist that don't want to be just another number and want someone who cares (sincerely) about their needs and solving a few problems along the way.

Couple jobs a day, it's all I ask. Let someone else chase the riches.

-JB-

Name
JB
(When was the last time anyone saw Ken putting down some ones decision to stay working on the truck?)

amen.jpg

Gremlin.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom