Who's started a BNI chapter?

Chris A

Name
Chris
My wife is not a BNI person, she doesn't like rules, or structure, she's more of a seat of her pants type of person. My BNI chapter is a Thursday lunchtime meeting, and is becoming increasingly unfeasable for either of us to attend. The chapter is losing members, I think for the same reason. My thinking is to put her in our local chamber (and make her go shiteatinggrin ) and I will start a new BNI chapter that will be a morning 7-830 meeting. My question is how many of you have done this and how much of a bitch is it? I have one other person commiting to founding the chapter with me, he was the chapter president at our current chapter.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Work on the chapter you are in...what makes you think starting another one will be any good if you can't contribute to the one you are in.

My Letip chapter would be part crap if it wasn't for me and some other members pushing to grow it with quality members.
The idea is to bring quality people in and like will attract like. THEY will bring quality people in as well...then it should snow ball.

You can bring people in and if the people who are already in it suck, they will be weeded out....by not getting tips etc.
No point in paying if you are not making money.

It is easier to turn around a group than starting another one....even if you have a bunch of people lined up.

I've seen both happen and have been part of one.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Brian Robison said:
Work on the chapter you are in...what makes you think starting another one will be any good if you can't contribute to the one you are in.

My Letip chapter would be part crap if it wasn't for me and some other members pushing to grow it with quality members.
The idea is to bring quality people in and like will attract like. THEY will bring quality people in as well...then it should snow ball.

You can bring people in and if the people who are already in it suck, they will be weeded out....by not getting tips etc.
No point in paying if you are not making money.

It is easier to turn around a group than starting another one....even if you have a bunch of people lined up.

I've seen both happen and have been part of one.

Maybe you didn't read the WHOLE post.... I've exhausted a ton of time and effort trying to grow my chapter, but the fact is it's a lunch time meeting and I'm having a really hard time vs. a morning meeting. I've contributed enough, the chapter is run by part time "mary kay" type businesses.

SFC

It is simply a networking meeting. You don't need BNI. We have all kinds of different networking groups here. I go to them when I have time... Go to your chamber meetings, but go and talk to people. It doesn't have to be like church.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Chris Adkins said:
My wife is not a BNI person, she doesn't like rules, or structure, she's more of a seat of her pants type of person. My BNI chapter is a Thursday lunchtime meeting, and is becoming increasingly unfeasable for either of us to attend. The chapter is losing members, I think for the same reason. My thinking is to put her in our local chamber (and make her go shiteatinggrin ) and I will start a new BNI chapter that will be a morning 7-830 meeting. My question is how many of you have done this and how much of a bitch is it? I have one other person commiting to founding the chapter with me, he was the chapter president at our current chapter.

Doesn't say anything about exhausting time and effort to grow your chapter. Sounds like you're whining about rules and structure.
You can always take a vote to change the time of your meeting.

I schedule my Letip meeting like a job or any other appointment....lunch group.
How hard is that?

I've done it for 6 years.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
We are a small town and we have 15 bni chapters choose another one that fits your time. that is already established.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Brian..

Please reffer to the "BOB V Nightmare post...."

There is a young man that could use your advice..

Thanks..

You can visit another chapter twice without making a commitment. Visit some morning ones- find one that is a good fit. WAY easier than starting your own... IMHO

Melissa

Chris A

Name
Chris
...[quote="Brian Robison

Doesn't say anything about exhausting time and effort to grow your chapter. Sounds like you're whining about rules and structure.
You can always take a vote to change the time of your meeting.

I schedule my Letip meeting like a job or any other appointment....lunch group.
How hard is that?

.[/quote]

You assumeth too mucheth, I am all for the rules and regulations of BNI and think it makes for a better functioning group. My issue is the time. As a very busy O/O I can't commit 2 hours a week during the day to the meetings, I have jobs. In the winter, when I joined, it was not an issue, now it is. We took a vote to change the time of the meeting, it failed by one or two (had to be unanimous). My area is not as forward-thinking as some therefore I only have two other chapters that could work, both are on the outskirts of my service area. The area I'm looking to start in is PRIMO, lots of money, lots of successful businesses... that's why I asked. I have to wonder what your purpose as a moderator is, to help, or make yourself feel better about knowing Everything...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Nahhh...I just try to help people and try to learn from people...sorry if I was abrasive or insulting.

In your case...I would try to start another Chapter...lmao.

It IS a pain in the ass and you might not get too much out of it for a year or two....depending on how hard you work on it. But if you don't "have time" to make your other meeting then you may not "have time" to build the new one...no matter what time of day you meet...you work on your group all day. good thing is if you are too busy to make a meeting then you are probably doing ok.

This is a catch 22...you don't need the group if you are too busy and don't want to expand.
The group will get in the way unless you have someone go for you or have someone do your jobs for you.
These networking groups are there to help grow your business...if you don't want to grow...don't join one.

You are at a Crossroads young grasshopper. You must make the choice.
Now, snatch the pebble from my hand and you will be enlightened. :wink:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Brian as an oo chris is out there getting stinky and sweaty all day and to have him go to a bus meeting at noon would require (I hope) him to take additional time to clean up and be presentable (SHOWER). Most BNI's that I know of do breakfast for that reason as it is too tough to commit to weekly lunch meetings.

I would contact the national BNI group Chris and also see if others in your current group want to switch to mornings.

Ken
Ps I don't see BNI as Steph's thing at all.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
There's another idea.

Talk to everyone in your group who would like a morning meeting and just start another group with them. BNI Inc would probably be ok with. It would be a great way to start and you could weed out anyone who is sub par.

The biggest reasons for transering or starting another group (or just leaving) is time slot and moving out of the area.
That of course if not including the people who want to quit because they didn't contribute enough to make it worth their while.

Chris A

Name
Chris
Thanks Brian, hopefully I wasn't too abrasive myself. I have the time, just not 2 hours in the middle of work day. I'm figuring on a lot of time invested, but I'm also thinking with a really solid leadership team maybe the work can actually be split evenly. A lot of it depends on what my former chapter prez. wants to do, he's not completely sold on it yet either...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom