who sells oriental rugs

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by bill luke, Aug 21, 2016.

By bill luke on Aug 21, 2016 at 7:33 AM
  1. bill luke
    bill luke

morning,who on here sells oriental and area rugs;I have some showroom space available,and thought of selling some rugs.where to buy,and what to buy are to starting points,i will not get overloaded with inventory,but do want hand tied rugs,no orian .. thanks,

Comments

Discussion in 'Rugs and Textiles' started by bill luke, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Matt Wood
      Matt Wood

Name:
      matt wood
      Are you the same guy that sends me those emails wanting me to clean 24 of your area rugs?
      Papa John and Bob Pruitt like this.
    2. WillS
      WillS

Supportive Member

Name:
      Will
      I've got a buddy that is living in Thailand. I've been having him search for rugs over there. Seeing if it might be profitable getting rugs shipped from there and reselling here. Update as I figure out if it is feasible.
    3. Papa John
      Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member

Name:
      John Stewart
      before you "invest" in rugs-- know how to ID them 1st-- and know what sells in your area.
      A Persian friend of mine brought back a few rugs from Iran to sell--- He gave up-- In SF you cant give away Persian rugs-- the people here prefer contemporary design rugs. hand knotted rugs are a steal at estate sales.
      One lady had imported a bunch of tufted rugs from India thinking she was going to make a boat load of money. she wanted me to clean them first to get the odor out. I told her Sorry-- the glue used in the rugs was defective and was Off gassing and it will only get worst-- these rugs were cheap to buy because Pottery barn had cancelled the order due to customer complaints-- she basically bought someone else's problem.
    4. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Rico

Name:
      Mr Misunderstood
      I had heard the bottom dropped out on oriental rugs a few years ago. Has it come back already?
    5. Papa John
      Papa John

Name:
      John Stewart
      personally I think the money is in Cleaning them- not selling them
      PrimaDonna and Matt Wood like this.
    6. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Rico

Name:
      Mr Misunderstood
      It does seem people buy more garbage than they used to. Although there are always going to be clients that appreciate the work of art an oriental is.
      scottw likes this.
    7. Papa John
      Papa John

Name:
      John Stewart
      Yes-- a work of Art that they let their pet Pee on :eekk: :dejection: :hopeless:
      Matt Wood and Desk Jockey like this.
    8. Desk Jockey
      Desk Jockey

Rico

Name:
      Mr Misunderstood
      But heavens if the kid spills on it.
    9. Cleanworks
      Cleanworks

Name:
      Ron Marriott
      Area rugs are increasing in popularity as people move to hard surface floors but we are getting a lot hard to clean styles. Viscose, shag, noodle rugs, sisal, etc.
      Mikey P likes this.
    10. Brian H
      Brian H

Name:
      Brian H
      We sell rugs out of our 3 full sized showrooms and 3 depots. I am not sure that the advice you get off this cleaning forum will be what you are actually looking for.
      TomKing and Desk Jockey like this.
    11. scottw
      scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
      Scott Warrington
      You may have a rug dealer that will place rugs in your location on consignment. Investing your own money in rugs can be tricky. The worth of rugs is hard to determine. In the end it is whatever someone is willing to pay for it. In general, not a lot of people appreciate rugs, so the market priced has been down for several years. More rugs are being sold, but they are mostly machine made.

I have an acquaintance who is a large importer of rugs. His warehouse holds tens of thousands. He has sold me rugs at very good prices, but I cannot make assurances anyone else would be get great deals. Zia at Herat Oriental 703 370-3902 if you wish to contact him.
      Desk Jockey likes this.
    12. T Monahan
      T Monahan

Supportive Member

Name:
      Tom Monahan
      Rug Summit 10 will be having a panel discussion on what is trending in rug sales for the rug washer to know what is coming. There will be a number of business owners there that have galleries across the country that will be participating. Naturally, Hagopian would have something to say about the Greater Metro Detroit Area. In fact, Thursday night's social event for attendees is being held at their rug gallery in Novi Michigan found at the 12 Oaks Mall. Only registrants may attend this private party. The hotel of preference to stay during Rug Summit is right next door.

www.rugsummit.comIs where to sign up. The education could say you a lot of misery from making poor uninformed decisions.
      Desk Jockey and Mikey P like this.
    13. bill luke
      bill luke

thanks all.i talked to a wholesaler in Atlanta,he can sell at a good price,maybe.trending in hand tied is afgan tribal,but really plain in design and muted,light,beige colors.he even says that cleaning is the ticket,and he can offer repair for me;i may find some on craigslist,estate sales,and such.see how that goes...and matt,i clean my own rugs,don't know abut the emails..so thanks,see you at the experience vegas
    14. TomKing
      TomKing

Supportive Member

Name:
      Tom
      Could you give some info of who you are and where you live?
      Stand alone Rug Galleries are struggling and traditional rug sales are declining.
      T Monahan likes this.
    15. LisaWagnerCRS
      LisaWagnerCRS

Name:
      Lisa Wagner
      Rug sales across the nation are down. There is a flood of rugs out for resale because LOTS of people are down-sizing, trying to sell their old rugs (most end up giving them away), and the new trends and tastes are not "traditional." You also have a huge influx of synthetic, machine loomed rugs that are less to buy than that cost to have them cleaned. It's flatlining rugs prices, and it will be interesting to see what happens because it's been a drastic shift in a short period of time. Then you have design houses (Stark, Kravet, etc.) selling garbage rugs for thousands, and angry customers when they find out that they have been duped. It's a tough market to crack, and I would not carry any inventory of rugs in this market personally. Maybe be the in-between handling rugs for resale and take a piece. And sell pads. =)
      Mikey P, Rick J, scottw and 3 others like this.
    16. Mikey P
      Mikey P

Administrator

Name:
      Mike Pay-oh-tay
      Any chance that the new wave of porcelain and LVT floors that are so nice to look at and maintain, that home owners don't want to hide them under rugs?

Personally, I put some rugs in storage cause I was tired of cleaning up after our old blind dog