Which is better....SM or House Call Pro?

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to using confusing apps. Due to stress and some neurological issues I have a hard time learning certain things, and I end up getting frustrated and give up. I really like the sound of SM and what it does but it's pretty pricey. I use my iPad in the field but have a MacBook Pro as well.
How much storage space do you need on your device or is everything saved to a cloud?
My MacBook is 128 gig but I have a 1 TB external, would I be able to install it on that and run it from that? As you can tell by my questions, I am just learning this stuff.
Any recommendations as to which would better suit my needs and lack of software skills? I've been doing everything on paper and I can't keep up anymore!

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
I have tried HouseCall for a weekend but did not like it, but I have never used SM. But of those two I would go with SM. Not because they are a sponsor here, but they have been around doing the same thing for many years. I personally use The Customer Factor and have used it for about 2 years and have been real happy with it.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

FredC

Village Idiot
the answer is yes

and the choice between the two will probably be just be personal choice for the average user.

HouseCall Pro is designed as a mobile platform from the start...free for owner ops............but lacks some features and reporting capability

Servicemonster has more features/reports but is lacking in the mobile department but they are supposed to be improving that with the new app

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Im going to watch the rest of the webinar later, I got 30 mins in. I like the sound of theirs (House Call Pro) so far and will do some more research. Thank you!

Name
I'm Rick James
Hi Kellie..

Most of the programs out there are cloud base now, so you will have 2 options with the interface on your tablet.. which you will have plenty of space. The first is downloading an APP from your APP store.. this will give you the mobile APP version on the program you are using. OR you will have a mobile website(totally sucks imho) which basically means you run it off a website that you log on through your tablets browser, so connection is important.

You using QB online or something like that?

jmo

Supportive Member
Name
Jeremy
I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to using confusing apps. Due to stress and some neurological issues I have a hard time learning certain things, and I end up getting frustrated and give up. I really like the sound of SM and what it does but it's pretty pricey. I use my iPad in the field but have a MacBook Pro as well.
How much storage space do you need on your device or is everything saved to a cloud?
My MacBook is 128 gig but I have a 1 TB external, would I be able to install it on that and run it from that? As you can tell by my questions, I am just learning this stuff.
Any recommendations as to which would better suit my needs and lack of software skills? I've been doing everything on paper and I can't keep up anymore!

You should also check out Razor Sync, I think it is the easiest to use of the two mentioned.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I love me my service monster. I haven't seen or played around with house call so I can't chime in on that.

I love all the reporting options on SM. I'm a numbers geek. So many ways to look at your data.

The emails and fill my schedule stuff is great too. The guys really like using it. Each van has a laptop and we have jet packs for when we can't get wifi. Easy to sync with quickbookd for all my accounting stuff.

Mrice

Name
Mat
SM (I haven't used) seems to be a mature product. HCP which I'm currently using could be great but is more in it's infancy currently IMHO.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I love me my service monster. I haven't seen or played around with house call so I can't chime in on that.

I love all the reporting options on SM. I'm a numbers geek. So many ways to look at your data.

The emails and fill my schedule stuff is great too. The guys really like using it. Each van has a laptop and we have jet packs for when we can't get wifi. Easy to sync with quickbookd for all my accounting stuff.
I'm not crazy about having my MacBook in the truck....I baby the heck out of it...lol.
I may do the free trial and check it out.
I've decided that Housecall Pro is a non option but I've got a few others I'm looking into now as well.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Been with sm for years now. Never have used it to its full potential. Lots to offer and grow with you. If you use mac, use chrome when you are on sm Sm has issues with mac. I just got a mini for the truck and it almost became a Frisbee. Sm is a very helpful group too. They saved a mini from a tragic end.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
I don't want to be bombarded with features I don't need. I am a one truck operation and I prefer a more personalized approach with my customers so I think for now I am going to try QB online for invoicing, and customer data and go from there. Thank you everyone for the input!
Maybe when SM comes out with the app I will then try it out and see if it will benefit me. :cool:

Reactions: jkowalski and TimM
Name
I'm Rick James
I don't want to be bombarded with features I don't need. I am a one truck operation and I prefer a more personalized approach with my customers so I think for now I am going to try QB online for invoicing, and customer data and go from there. Thank you everyone for the input!
Maybe when SM comes out with the app I will then try it out and see if it will benefit me. :cool:

Make sure you watch the You Tube videos it will help you set up and understand the process with the software.. plus also inform you about software you can add to it so its customized to your exact needs.

rolandal

Name
Roland Ligtenberg
<full disclosure I work at HCP>

You should do a one-on-one live walkthrough of HouseCall Pro and we can show you exactly how you'd use it.

If you want something easy to use, easy to learn and not overloaded with unnecessary features and bulk, HouseCall Pro is a good fit.

Everything with HCP is in the cloud and it will work on ANY of your Apple Devices and automatically sync real-time with no extra work.

A majority of our clients come directly from working primarily on whiteboards/clipboards/pen&paper.

Best thing: HOUSECALL PRO is FREE ($0) for Owner/Operators ... Servicemonster is ~$1,000 a year starting. So if you plan on using software for 10 years, you would end up paying a total of $0 for HCP and $10,000 for SM.

You can call us anytime at 858-345-9675

PS We update our app weekly. And webportal daily. (can't say the same for other software vendors :oldrolleyes:)

Reactions: FredC
Name
I'm Rick James
Very clever for hcp to offer a free option.. it ties in good with getting more users for the sister app.. which is where the real money will come in. The free feature is REALLY basic.. to the point you will have to upgrade. It's like the fremeium apps.. get the limited game for free but pay in the long run if you choose to.
If you really want the reality.. yes hcp will save you over a thousand a year, but it won't make you the money a good quality crm can do. In fact.. free hcp will cost you money by not having the features needed to run a business.. unless you upgrade. For a good crm/fsm you should expect to pay around the $100 a month price range.
I'm not defending SM.. they have A LOT to prove with their new overhaul to remain competitive.
The winner is going to be the one that understands the work flow for a service business.. from the field tech, the person answering your phones to the owner being able to fully customize every aspect of the software. This is why it's SO important for these companies to take advantage of API with other companies that have perfected certain features.. example SM or hcp need an API to quickbooks because they perfected that part of the small business. We are all getting use to complete customization of our software interface.. like with our cell phones.. that it's expected now with business software.

Reactions: jkowalski

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
We integrate with QB Desktop (two methods) AND QB Online (finishing QA now, release by years end).

New companies aren't bothering with Desktop anymore (which makes my heart happy). :-)

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
We integrate with QB Desktop (two methods) AND QB Online (finishing QA now, release by years end)

Looking at QB Online now. I need to upgrade, so I'm thinking of going to that. Was wondering about it working with SM. Costco has a good deal so I was thinking about taking the plunge....

jkowalski

Name
Joe Kowalski
Works for some but it's really QB lite. We tried it and our accounting team was like, NOPE.

The integration was much easier though. The desktop integration was poorly designed by Intuit.

Reactions: D Luke
Name
I'm Rick James
So if I'm running SM and doing IFF transfers, I should stick with the software I install on my computer instead of doing the online/could version of QB?

I suggest calling and talking to Intuit to see what their plan is with the Desktop and online.. I called and talked to them about 2 years ago or so and the rep told me that they are going to be phasing out and pushing people towards the cloud base version. Which makes sense because EVERYTHING is going cloud based now.. movies, games, netflix and other software. Is it better.. I don't know, but that is the future.. the important thing is to always keep things backed up on location. Intuit online actually has a TON of resources for businesses.. pretty much gives you everything you need in that department.. if you are still using the disc and not accessing Intuit's small business platform, you are missing out. To bad it sucks in the CRM/FSM/database department.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom