Where will you retire?

Mikey P

Administrator
Having lived with the threat of falling into the sea all my life here on the fragile left coast our current plans are to call it quits in beautiful and safer Greenville SC.

The area offers a countryish, much cheaper, slower life style with rolling green hills, loads of lakes and streams, vegetarian friendly, no weather extremes and an undiscovered part of the US for us. More importantly, it also has been proven to be hurricane, tornado and earthquake "proof" ...so far..

I love living on the coast now but when I'm old and decrepit I don't want even think about going what those folks in Jersey/New York are going through right now.

and Florida?

dont get me started about thinking you can live in a fookin swamp.:hopeless:

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Having lived with the threat of falling into the sea all my life here on the fragile left coast our current plans are to call it quits in beautiful and safer Greenville SC.

Besides offering a countryish, much cheaper, slower life style with rolling green hills, loads of lakes and streams, vegetarian friendly, no weather extremes and an undiscovered part of the US for us. More importantly, it also has been proven to be hurricane, tornado and earthquake "proof" ...so far..

I love living on the coast now but when I'm old and decrepit I don't want even think about going what those folks in Jersey/New York are going through right now.

and Florida?

won'tcha come an' be my neighbor.....the house across the street jus SOLD for FI GRAND......
little over an acre wit a halfway decent house and garage.......
however i'm sure that we'd prolly go to jail for shooting each other.......

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
It depends how America will be in the near future...I may be bailing before it gets worse.
As far as retirement, I maybe in europe. In my own forest on my own land. It's nice to have the opportunity to choose if the EU or US is better at that time.

Name
Ron lippold
I'm staying here. We have no problems, except no money. So if you have a few coins this is a great place. I will end up in the mountains.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Retire? I dont think I get that option, besides what am supposed to do then? I'm working until they pull my rotting carcass away from my desk.

Ummm......dead rotting carcass, for clarification.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Retire? I dont think I get that option, besides what am supposed to do then? I'm working until they pull my rotting carcass away from my desk.

I agree then they can cremate me right after the autopsy clears my wife:biggrin:

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Where is your family at, Mike? Not Ca?

My wife has 5 brothers and sisters in IL, there is no way I'm getting her to move more than 20 miles! We moved to AZ for about 4/5 years, I loved it.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You can get a lot slower life style by traveling about 75 (or so) miles straight east from your little abode.
Home prices will be a lot cheaper too. And you can get a nice piece of land.

Moved to TX and found out that beside the cost of housing in CA, slightly more on gas and insurance, our actual everyday expenses were higher in TX than in CA.

You can find a nice, not too expensive, quite peaceful and beautiful place in the sierra foothills, and stll be an hour or two driving hours away from a large metropolitan area. If a nice town will do you can practically be almost everywhere here within 15-20 minutes drive time.
You will not find a nicer weather than CA in the US.

And you may be surprised how much you'll miss CA once you moved somewhere else. We sure did.

Staying right here. CA is special.

Mikey P

Administrator
Where is your family at, Mike? Not Ca?

My wife has 5 brothers and sisters in IL, there is no way I'm getting her to move more than 20 miles! We moved to AZ for about 4/5 years, I loved it.

My 2 kids are here in SCruz but nothing the area has to offer (surf, mountain trails or cali lifestyle) is being utilized by either one of them, so I hope they eventually move out of the state.

My mom live here in a nursing home.

My dad and middle brother live in Texas
My oldest brother lives in Washington state

Paula's family lives all over Cali.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
You can get a lot slower life style by traveling about 75 (or so) miles straight east from your little abode.
Home prices will be a lot cheaper too. And you can get a nice piece of land.

where Los Banos?

Id rather live in Texas...

The western Sierras are nice but for that sort of life style it can be had much cheaper back east.

mcatt

Name
Mike
See, and I want to go to Southern California ASAP. But retire, not really sure yet?

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
I'm not sure Mikey? We only have our Daughter so we don't want to be far from her. Currently I surf, snowboard, fish, etc... So I'm happy here. But I think either Mtns or back East where I was born. Maybe NJ since I have a feeling our Daughter is going to be on Broadway, dancing or something like that. No city life for me though. Fun to visit but couldn't live there.

steve_64

started learning portuguese a few years ago but didnt take it serious then. brazil is looking mighty nice, not so much to retire but to relocate before im to crepid to work. oh and to crepid to chase the hotties.if i was quit working maybe the philipines.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
I am thinking the Eastern Shore of Cheasapeak Bay. Just a beautiful area of USA. Has 4 seasons water, mountians, close to large cities and airports.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton

Richard, I was under the impression that you communicated more frequently with yo wife. Surely she'll report it before you reached that stage :icon_razz:

Mike, unless you're planning to live with Marty (and who wouldn't) you'd maybe save 100,000.00 max. I thought that after all these years of being self proclaimed 'top dog' in Scruz, that's not going to make such a huge difference. Especially now that you got Prochem to advertise here and the new sheriff- Fred C to move the board along!

I'd give you two years max after you retire somewhere else, to come back to CA.
And don't worry Mike, we are Californian here. We don't hold grudges. We'll still welcome you back, arms open.
It may be hard though to make Marty let you go. I do see pigs in your future.

And therefore there may be no better way to celebrate your future than: Oink ? :winky:

Last edited:

Willy P

Name
Willy P
No need to move anywhere. I love where I live, but I have a chunk of Nova Scotia for the summers.....

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Where I am or in Atlanta. Most of what I own is paid for and some of it is almost "Free and Clear". Needless to say, I am good to remain as is.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I love living here. Surrounded by mountains, low population, rivers and game, farms and prepared and self sufficient like minded people. We live in difficult times and we have become an arrogant people. We don't see or refuse to see where we are headed. History has repeated for thousands of years and we are now on a course that is easy to predict as it is the same as all the other great nations and just as their arrogance kept them from changing course the same outcome will eventually be ours. So the questions is where do you want your families roots to be when the fabric of our nation fails. Neil Cavatuo said it this morning...the last days of Rome....

Mikey P

Administrator
John and others who REALLY feel that the empire is about to pop..

Why not bail NOW? Surly there must be another spot on the planet that could be safer.

Seriously, is this a global implosion you see or just the US?

or the countries that are dependent on US as well?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Mikey the rest of the world has had a war or is at war on their soil for the last 100 years. Thinking that will continue is naive. You only need to look at history to know it is our turn unless we radically change our thought processes and what we value. I'm not an end of the world guy but I'm not so arrogant to think we are smarter then the Romans or Pharaohs or The Mayans or any once great empires. We are flowing the exact paths that lead to their destruction. That's not a theory or fear its facts and sticking your fingers in your ears and ignoring it won't make it go away. I just keep plugging away a d doing e best I can and hope and pray that we wake up and if not let's hope we come out stronger on the other side when it is over.

Last edited:

steve_64

john, i agree. its just a matter of when. usually its after people start starving are they then willing to risk thier lives to fight back.if food prices keep increasing and wages keep falling and taxes keep going up oh boy we are headed for trouble.

imagine a major earthquake that cools the earth and shortens growing seasons around the world.
http://www.longrangeweather.com/global_temperatures.htm

i want to move to the equator.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member

The area offers a countryish, much cheaper, slower life style with rolling green hills, loads of lakes and streams, vegetarian friendly, no weather extremes and an undiscovered part of the US for us. More importantly, it also has been proven to be hurricane, tornado and earthquake "proof" ...so far..

and Florida?

Probably end up in Florida, Buffalo is kinda like a frozen swamp...

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
or the countries that are dependent on US as well?

That is where I see part of the problem: the whole world is dependent on the US as the US is dependent on the rest of the world. We are not isolated anymore. The financial web covers every country. Even Switzerland is included. So IF the crap really hits the fan....there is no real good place.
But I agree with a lot of what John said. I am not an end of the world scenario type either but I refuse to ignore the giant problems that we are facing and headed toward.

Last edited:
F

FB7777

I used to think that it was going to be a home on the Ocean somewhere either in Mass. Or Rhode Island but We're considering the possibility that we do a build out on one of kids future homes

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
We'll move to NE Colorado, probably around the Poudre River Canyon. Unbelievably gorgeous, great weather - got hit pretty hard with the wildfires last summer. I'll definitely have to save some coin!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom