WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT THE BOOK EMYTH?

-JB-

Name
JB
T,

Unfortunately, as you well know, commonsense, is not all that common. I think the book may be for the "others".

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
ODIN said:
I have read it

pretty simple same content you can find just about anywhere.

T

In 1986 I was at an UCCI convention in Ohio. The main speaker at all the conventions in that period was Howard Olansky and he was great. There was a breakout session in a small room with maybe 25 people so I wandered in. Here comes a bald guy in a 3 piece suit, blue shirt and red tie.

I thought he was a little fancy for a bunch of carpet cleaners. After he presented with all the power of Winston churchill I went to the rear of the room and bought his book and cassette tapes.

I swore the man had been riding in the back of my service van for the last few years and had listened to all my conversations. Nobody could know exactly all the wrong things I had been doing without following me.
Needless to say the man was Michael Gerber and I have seen him a total of four times since then.

The idea of the E Myth was that it didn't matter what service business you were in because they are all basically the same. He was the first person to write in a manner that a non MBA student could relate and understand. It was the first real business book I read besides Search For Excellence by Tom Peters.

Now I believe like many other authors that he has line extended his books a little too far. I actually think EMyth Revisited is his best book.

Whether EMyth was revolutionary or not I still think it is the best book for taking a look at your business from the outside and then realizing that it is a business not a job.

I would recommend that a person who is not an avid reader to buy the CD and just play it continuously in your truck. My hope is that it will get owners to realize that the business is a lot more than deciding if a 2 1/2 inch hose is better than a 2 inch hose.

The EMyth should be the first book or the foundation for future reading. There is so much good stuff out there. I have a list of over 60 books if you just send me an email.

Remember what Grace Slick said in White Rabbit. Feed Your Head.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
I'd have to say it's a great book, but it failed to wow me like so many others said it did for them. Most business stuff is common sense like stated before.

The most important business statement I've heard is 'failure to implement'. Sure, it's all common sense and easy enough to do many things....but, actually doing them is another story all together. The person I learned this statement from was good ole HP himself. He may have picked it up somewhere else along the line, but that's the person I picked it up from.

I'm a huge 'fail to implement' guy. I think most CC'rs are.

danpauselius

[quote="billyeadon My hope is that it will get owners to realize that the business is a lot more than deciding if a 2 1/2 inch hose is better than a 2 inch hose.

quote]

Amen to that!

Mike Brummett

The guy bummed around Europe, smoked dope, framed houses and could barely keep a real job until a relative hired him, at the age of 40, for his consulting business.

He shows up in the Silicon Valley boardrooms and when they ask him, "How can you help me?" He says, "I dunno." They ask him, "What do you know about my business?" He says "NOTHING".

WHAM! OVERNIGHT SUCCESS!

Seriously - read pg 145 if you don't believe me.

MIKE

The Preacher

about one of the most boring books i've read (revisited). i'm about as much a slacker as one in biz gets and i'm making $$$ in spite of myself.

i agree with BY, get the CD, it'll be easier to listen to over and over cause i ain't reading that book again!

V

vegijohn

How many times have you heard someone naively say, "I want to own a business because I want to be my own boss".

Once in business one realizes that they are not the boss. The banks, government, competition, and customers are their "boss".

Ultimately the buck stops with you- the owner-- If your business fails or flounders you only have yourself to blame.

Adapt and improve or Crash and Burn-- which is it going to be?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom