What Do You Think About This For ADVERTISING... Copy

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Jimmy if you can survive the first couple of months you'll be ok. Dave(Roayl Man) has been labeled the biggest sham ever with his "free" marketing forever program he has been trying to shill for as long as anyone here can remember. He is still around because he has THICK skin. I like Dave A LOT because of that very reason. Your going to get it from every side and if you can weather the barrage at some point you will be accepted into this rag-tag bunch of wannbe players at some point.:rockon: Oh and "thebestmarketeralive" just screams "beat the shit out of me please" glad your here hope you survive..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How often has carpet really made anyone sick? Probably not very often and if it did it was more likely new and the problem was VOC's off gassing.

Carpets can be unsanitary if pet or humans have accidents but again making someone sick from their carpet is way over stated. Statements like that are not good for the carpet industry or the carpet cleaning industry.

Sensationalized Joe Polish type BS, sell that dated crap to the doofus's on ***. :oldrolleyes:

http://www.cleanfax.com/articles/104814-the-ultimate-battlefield-part-3-of-3

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Royal Man

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
How often has carpet really made anyone sick? Probably not very often and if it did it was more likely new and the problem was VOC's off gassing.

Carpets can be unsanitary if pet or humans have accidents but again making someone sick from their carpet is way over stated. Statements like that are not good for the carpet industry or the carpet cleaning industry.

Sensationalized Joe Polish type BS, sell that dated crap to the doofus's on ***. :oldrolleyes:

http://www.cleanfax.com/articles/104814-the-ultimate-battlefield-part-3-of-3

Says the man who's marketing all seems from the 80's LOL. Sorry Richard, I couldn't resist.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith

Man, I loved that video! takes me back...

it is true that this kind of marketing has probably contributed to the decline in carpet installations and the rate at which folks are ripping out carpet and installing hard surfaces. I don't think it behooves us as an industry to make the consumer feel that they are living with a potential health hazard.

Take care,
Lisa

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Like I keep saying. Those that clean for health as their primary reason for cleaning are very few and far between. Also health improvement from carpet cleaning is very over rated. It will make an improvement if there is a lot of organic material food and pick up a few dust mite parts. But it is very limited as to the improvement. The moisture from carpet cleaning can actually grow the amount of bacteria and dust mite have hooked feet to hang on and they burrow into the backing where they won't be removes. Dust mites also need a water source to live. Often it is perspiration. So they are not in the carpet that much and reside deep into furniture and mattresses.

Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
Jimmy
John: Thanks for the welcome. I hope to contribute some sort of value to this place, whether it be positive or fueled by the negativity towards marketing pieces I propose, haha. FYI, thebestmarketeralive name was due to the fact I was trying to illustrate why platitudes are so ineffective.

Royal Man: Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that carpet cleaning did in fact help on the cleanliness factor and helped reduce symptoms. As I said before, maybe very few people clean for the health benefits because many people are not aware that it would help (in your words it doesn't apparently).

If I have shortness of breath on a daily basis I do not think, man, this is probably being caused by my carpets, better get them cleaned.

Where as if somebody spilt wine all over my carpet, naturally I would first grab a cloth, and grind the wine into the carpet desperately hoping to solve the problem, only to make it much worse. Then would think, yep, I need a professional to take care of it, better call a cleaning company.

This is all great information nonetheless.

Thanks,

James

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I know that supposedly most marketing is based on fear or greed. I have always disliked negative marketing. I don't even like it when someone says they use non toxic chemicals. everything is toxic in the right quantity.

If fear based marketing really worked then all of the anti smoking ads showing guys with oxygen tanks would have caused millions to quit. The majority of people that have quit is due to smoking becoming socially unacceptable and because it has become financially overwhelming.

good marketing will stir emotions and not negative ones.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
In a holistic view carpet cleaning can definitely help clear the sink (carpet) of contaminants . Just realize those contaminants are not the epa toxic cesspool eluded to. Plus there are other areas that can do far more for cleaning up the homes IAQ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I know that supposedly most marketing is based on fear or greed. I have always disliked negative marketing. I don't even like it when someone says they use non toxic chemicals. everything is toxic in the right quantity.

If fear based marketing really worked then all of the anti smoking ads showing guys with oxygen tanks would have caused millions to quit. The majority of people that have quit is due to smoking becoming socially unacceptable and because it has become financially overwhelming.

good marketing will stir emotions and not negative ones.

Can you show us some real life examples or even better create one?

How about you Dave.... Create better piece and explain why.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Can you show us some real life examples or even better create one?

How about you Dave.... Create better piece and explain why.

If you look back you can see where I left a template you can apply to your business. Promote the other ways you can help clients. Cleaning for health as a stand alone piece is a lost leader from my experience. I have already been down this road. I have binders of cleaning for heath information and marketing materials. I even passed the course and received a pest control license. So, I could legally say my services can help dust mite problems. After promoting it for years. I found It's not the most efficient way to churn clients. If you want use the health info on a webpage but, it's not the best for a mailing. You can learn from others or stick your head in the ground and call them haters. It's your choice.

Name
Jimmy
That would have been helpful to know right off the bat.

It would have certainly offered more value to the thread than your first post in which I was simply insane thinking to target the point of health... after you have already tried doing so.

Name
Jimmy
Is there anyway somebody call pull the information Royal Man is speaking of?

I think I've had some of my privileges revoked by people in high places, I'm unable to access anybodies page.

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
John: Thanks for the welcome. I hope to contribute some sort of value to this place, whether it be positive or fueled by the negativity towards marketing pieces I propose, haha. FYI, thebestmarketeralive name was due to the fact I was trying to illustrate why platitudes are so ineffective.

Royal Man: Thanks for the info, I was under the impression that carpet cleaning did in fact help on the cleanliness factor and helped reduce symptoms. As I said before, maybe very few people clean for the health benefits because many people are not aware that it would help (in your words it doesn't apparently).

If I have shortness of breath on a daily basis I do not think, man, this is probably being caused by my carpets, better get them cleaned.

Where as if somebody spilt wine all over my carpet, naturally I would first grab a cloth, and grind the wine into the carpet desperately hoping to solve the problem, only to make it much worse. Then would think, yep, I need a professional to take care of it, better call a cleaning company.

This is all great information nonetheless.

Thanks,

James

If you were to get a targeted list of people known to have allergies this postcard would work, but it should be about mattress cleaning. Thats what I said earlier it all depends on what your target market is. If you blanketed a neighborhood using EDDM, it would not be as good. Know you audience first then design a marketing message that speaks to them.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
What About Removing all the health related stuff and just focus on flexible scheduling?

[FONT=&quot]We Help Busy Homeowners Who Struggle To Find The [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Time To Keep Their Carpets Clean, Get Fresh, Healthy [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Carpets & Upholstery In As Little As 3 Hours While [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Providing Our Flexible Scheduling Guarantee. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]With Our "5-Step Cleaning" Formula, We Leave Your Home Smelling Fresh and Clean.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We Know You're Busy... With Our Flexible Scheduling Guarantee, You Propose 2 Separate Cleaning Times, If [/FONT][FONT=&quot]We Fail To Accommodate These Times The Service is [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Free! [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Call Us Now For a FREE Inspection![/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1-800-WE CLEAN[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Name
Ty
How much text do you think you can put on a postcard or flyer without losing someones interest? I see folks put a ton of text on there marketing piece and wonder how many people actually read that deep into it.

FredC

Village Idiot
I think you could fit quite a but......BUT if I can't figure out what you do or what you are offering within a second or two I toss it (unless its clever).............I get a ton of mail

but I'm not everybody else.

I remember my parents reading through the mail each evening.............but they were not nearly as "bombarded" as I am...................they had the paper..the mail...and the TV

My wife spends a bit more time than I do...but usually biased towards catalogs/store ads (grocery, department stores, etc)

Last edited:

Beeks

Name
J.R.
How much text do you think you can put on a postcard or flyer without losing someones interest? I see folks put a ton of text on there marketing piece and wonder how many people actually read that deep into it.
That is a very common misconception. If it is a capturing headline that engages, then they WILL read on. I and the majority of the population would much rather be educated on "why", then just telling me that you do "quality work"(platitude) which anyone and everyone already says. Hence why you see something on tv or the web, and immediately google it to find more about it.

People will have there opinions and that is fine, if what you are doing for marketing works for you, keep on doing it. But the negativity towards this idea baffles me. This formula is a great idea, maybe not the terminology that is being used in this specific example, but its more for a guide line, put in your own verbiage.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
But the negativity towards this idea baffles me.
It's because its and an old tired beat horse, one than just needs to be put down.

Today's consumers as you mentioned would much rather be educated than scared into a purchase. Especially one on trumped up pseudoscience that lacks the evidence and data that is used to cause action. I'm not sure about your market but we have a good portion of clients that could/would potentially look up the lies. Once you lose that confidence with your client, you're sunk, there is no coming back.

If you must used Polish type crap at least make sure your data is valid! :oldrolleyes:

Reactions: truckmount girl

Beeks

Name
J.R.
It's because its and an old tired beat horse, one than just needs to be put down.

Today's consumers as you mentioned would much rather be educated than scared into a purchase. Especially one on trumped up pseudoscience that lacks the evidence and data that is used to cause action. I'm not sure about your market but we have a good portion of clients that could/would potentially look up the lies. Once you lose that confidence with your client, you're sunk, there is no coming back.

If you must used Polish type crap at least make sure your data is valid! :oldrolleyes:

I hear what your saying. Though this is not joe shmo stuff (well it might be similar), i have never used it and don't ever plan on it. Like i said before, its the basis of the idea that is good, not necessarily the verbiage that was used in the example.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I took out all that stuff, now it is focused on flexible scheduling. Something pretty important to people in the suburbs with kids, my God they spend half their free time driving from dance class to singing practice, football practice. Never ends...

TY the front of postcard/flyer would have pretty pictures, this would be the back. Purposely only showed the copy to create a discussion on copy, if i showed a professional design people would focus on that.

Couple weeks i will hire a different copywriter unrelated to this industry and have them create a different theme.
Maybe something on Smell?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I hear what your saying. Though this is not joe shmo stuff (well it might be similar), i have never used it and don't ever plan on it. Like i said before, its the basis of the idea that is good, not necessarily the verbiage that was used in the example.
That fact is Joe's stuff works for some, tacky, but can still be effective for some markets.

We have a Joe disciple in our market and they give away money for referrals. They end up with some customers that become aggressive cheerleaders because they make money off referrals. (3) crisp $5.00 bills every time they refer someone. The competitors customer I spoke with said it's not about the cleaning, they do ok, but it's about the money she makes by "just referring them". Pure greed. LOL

I'd rather earn my customers on merit than have some chic out there trying to make a part time living by referring a mediocre cleaner. :errf:

BUT no matter how tacky, it works! :icon_rolleyes:

Reactions: truckmount girl

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun

I asked this question before, but didn't get an answer so I will try again. I am really curious about how some look at this. Marketing is about solving problems for our customers, Yes? How can you solve a problem if you don't acknowledge that there is a problem? If you use education based marketing, what are educating on if it is not solving problems?

smastio

Name
Steve Mastio
Fred, can you think of any marketing piece, headline, call to action that a veteran carpet cleaner has not already seen. It doesn't matter what the veteran carpet cleaners have seen, it matters what the prospect will respond to.

OMG... I couldn't have said it better! It was, is and always will be about empowering your consumer (I refer to her as Digital Mom) - well said!

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
"We Help Busy Homeowners Who Struggle To Find The
Time To Keep Their Carpets Clean, Get Fresh, Healthy
Carpets & Upholstery In As Little As 3 Hours While
Providing Our Flexible Scheduling Guarantee. " This is too convoluted to be a headline or a USP. Keep working on it. Can you get in down to 10 words or even less?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I asked this question before, but didn't get an answer so I will try again. I am really curious about how some look at this. Marketing is about solving problems for our customers, Yes? How can you solve a problem if you don't acknowledge that there is a problem? If you use education based marketing, what are educating on if it is not solving problems?
Excellent point BUT it must be a problem. Don't approach it with data that cannot be validated, real problems with real answers, then yes you are a great resource to your client.

Scaring them into action built on untruths.....you're a scumbag.

Resource or Scumbag.....it's your choice. :pig:

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Excellent point BUT it must be a problem. Don't approach it with data that cannot be validated, real problems with real answers, then yes you are a great resource to your client.

Scaring them into action built on untruths.....you're a scumbag.

Resource or Scumbag.....it's your choice. :pig:

I don't know Richard. Many people are suffering from Fear Of Carpet or FOC. They go to their Doctor wondering what the FOC is wrong with them. The Doctors usually reply to get the FOC out. ( or remove all their carpet.)

Last edited:

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith

Their problem is dirty appearing and/or smelling carpet. Convince them you can solve that problem without endangering their health or their pet's health.

Don't INVENT a problem that isn't there to try to get an edge, especially if you put into their heads that their carpet is a cesspool of bacteria and germs. Seriously, if they are "educated" that their carpet requires frequent, costly and inconvenient cleaning in order to keep them from being over run with disease they will just rip the stuff out and put down laminate.

Take care,
Lisa

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom