Water in fresh water tank froze.

Josh Almanza

Name
Josh Almanza
Do I empty out the water from my fresh water tank? Or can I just let it melt and add warmer water to my tank(tank was less than full) it’s a new truckmount and worried about cracking the heat exchangers. I have a Prochem Legend GT.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I’m going to plug an electric heater and let it keep my truckmount warm, I suppose...not really sure what else to do.

Discuss freeze protection steps with the individual who sold you the machine. There are different measures needed for different models and brands. It is their responsibility.

Don't start your machine until you are certain its thawed. You can cause more damage starting a machine with slush in it than the original freezing caused to happen.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
You should be fine i doubt it froze solid.

DONT TURN ANYTHING ON UNTILL YOUARE A 1000 PERCENT SURE NOTHING IS FROZEN ANYMORE!

Check you transfer pump to see if it cracked.

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Andy

Name
Doesn't Matter
The infrared heaters like the Eden Pure work really well. There is a thermostat on it already you set it at 50 degrees. If you are needing it for days at a time. Hard wire an extension cord on to it, the plugins have a tendency to get loose and hot, creating a fire hazard. I cut the end off my heater cord and the female end off a 12 gauge extension cord, spliced together with automotive connectors. Seems to work, the connection doesn't get warm.

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Lee Stockwell
Drain tool valves, pressure hoses, exposed water fittings. cover the machine with quilts or blankets. Place a small ceramic heater to put heat under the tented area without touching the covers.

Buy a 20 dollar remote thermometer from Walmart. Zip tie it out of the way low on the machine to easily monitor the machine.

Josh Almanza

Name
Josh Almanza
Thanks everyone for your tips...like Dealtimeman said, there’s slush in my fresh water tank, so I set up a small electric heater warming up the heat exchangers. Hopefully there’s nothing wrong, but being a brand new unit with 32 hrs on it, i got worried.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
I gotta see this....

How is thst even possible without some form of Neglect ..

You would be so told not to come In today, jus saying

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I use one of those 1500 watt Stanley heaters from Lowes. It will keep the van 20 degrees above the outside temp. If it gets below 15 degrees you will need 2. Since you are in Houston one might be enough.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
It got down to 13 degrees at my place and all we had in each truck was an oil filled heater and it never got below 45 inside the trucks or my trailer.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Thanks everyone for your tips...like Dealtimeman said, there’s slush in my fresh water tank, so I set up a small electric heater warming up the heat exchangers. Hopefully there’s nothing wrong, but being a brand new unit with 32 hrs on it, i got worried.

damn

as mentioned, make sure it's "COMPLETELY" thawed out before firing up

and give the guy a break, fellas
He's in Huston ..he's used to a hot humid hellhole

if your truck is parked in a garage, a $20 1500wt ceramic heater will suffice
MAKE SURE to use a 12ga extension cord in the shortest length that gets you there
(no cheap 16ga crap cords)

if outside in windy conditions , two may be needed
Get all wet tools off the floor too...it can be 50 at the top of the van and 15 on the floor

I'll sacrifice a bUrd for you in hopes you dodged a bullet
(if I see any...they all flew south down your way)

Hopefully this won't be an expensive mistake that you;
a.) you weren't aware water freezes below 32
b.) that you don't check low temp weather forecasts

.L.T.A.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
The problem with electric heaters is if you have a snow storm like we had yesterday and lose power all you can do is let the engine run. Thankfully it’s supposed to be 60 degrees by Sunday.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
The problem with electric heaters is if you have a snow storm like we had yesterday and lose power all you can do is let the engine run. Thankfully it’s supposed to be 60 degrees by Sunday.
You really need to pay attention to temperature fluctuations by geography. Our average temperature is recorded at our local airport which is at sea level. Rarely dips below freezing. However, nearby areas can be several hundred feet higher in elevation and can drop below freezing regularly. Rule of thumb should be, if it is within 5 degrees of freezing temperatures, protect your equipment. Other areas may be even more dramatic than here. When I had to park my truck outside, I used to run rv antifreeze through the unit, all my hoses and tools. It was a pain to flush out but it never froze

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
If our power is still off tonight I’ll probably break out the antifreeze. I winterized my old machine but left some water in the drain line and it broke the gate valve off. Winter is a pain. I’m thinking I might close in my garage and install a gas heater. Then I can pull both vans in.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Probably a bit late to add "drain the fresh and waste tanks, and leave valves open".

No kidding.

You haven't lived until you can't drain your waste tank because the bottom and outlet are frozen solid.

That takes me back to so many nightmares from my teenage days

steve_64

I froze my van solid on the outside heating it in a snowstorm. The snow melted off the top and refroze sealing the van up. Couldn't open any doors till it thawed outside.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I froze my van solid on the outside heating it in a snowstorm. The snow melted off the top and refroze sealing the van up. Couldn't open any doors till it thawed outside.

That's funny! By next winter I will have my garage closed in and heated with Gas so I can pull both vans inside. I've had enough winter, somebody get Al Gore on the phone. It's not supposed to be this cold in N.C.

Back
Top Bottom