VETEREN CLEANERS

The Preacher

i see the $$$ guys like to spout they make in the CC biz.

do you think a a new cleaning company should be charging the same $$$ out of the box as a company who's been in it for a few years???

Shane

I would rather some newb charge more then the $99.00 whole house special BDCCleaning "Veteran"

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I feel like us newbs have to charge a little less so that we can get our foot in as many doors as possible to build a reputation. I don't consider myself a real cheap cleaner for my area. There are guys 20 miles away who are working for half what I charge.

Do I feel like I'm worth as much as the big money guys? Well, my customers seem to be thrilled with my work. My second year repeats and referrals was half my income for the year.

I don't claim to know it all, I'm still learning each day and there's a ton more to learn that would make me a more valuable cleaner. I go in thier and do my absolute best to wow every single customer and hopefully make them a cheerleader for life.

So to answer your question I would have to say no, a brand new cleaner would have a hard time getting many jobs at the high prices.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"do you think a a new cleaning company should be charging the same $$$ out of the box as a company who's been in it for a few years?"

If they can get it, why not?

I'd bet a nickel there's more than a few "highrollers" that AREN'T worth what they charge.
(Not refering to bait & switchers)

I say the same thing, if they can get it, why not?
(NOT refering to bait and switchers)

Probably the best "value" cleaners are the sharp, quality oriented owner/ops who have been at it for 3 to 5 years and still cleaning for low or low/mid pricing

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd charge a reasonable (adjusted to your target market) rate regardless of how new the company is.

Provided your cleaning is equal to the market leader you're using as a benchmark.

I would charge the same or nearly the same. :wink:

You're rates should be based on the end product, not how many years in business. 8)

G

I don't care how long you've been business, if you know what in the heck you're doing and have a game plan stick to it. Charge what you're worth and try and average $100 + per hour while your TM is running. Now if you're using a portable it's tough to charge premium prices and not feel guilty about it. IMO.

G

Charge what the market will allow. Myself I charge a little less than some and a little more than others. I love it when a compettitor calls and tells YOU , that your prices are to low. Then you do a little research and he is on average less than you.

Just remember , try to make enough to stay in business. to high a prices can cause problems as to low a prices can cause problems.

AlWAYS STAY ON TOP OF MAINTENCE.

nick

Tony Neville

Name
Tony Neville
Why worry about what others are doing? Look to your own expenses to tell you what to charge. Look and see how much you spend per sq ft or per room and add 30 – 50 Percent profit margin.

A big company with 10-15 employees has more expense than the owner operator prices will be different but the profit should be the same for both!

My 2 Cents

Tony

Mikey P

Administrator
Tony..
The OO needs to save more for retirement day. OO's should be socking away $ into IRAs and or individual stocks or go the real estate route. Or both because there will be no great pay off when he unloads his "Job"....

Think about it, he has nothing to sell other then equipment and a client list that may or may not be worth anything to the buyer.

While a multi truck company has a business to sell ( for a good chunk of change if he ran it right with systems in place) that the right person could take over and run with.

G

Yes,

I had a cleaner that rode with me for a week. He is getting my prices. Things are going well for him. If I needed someone to clean my carpets and I couldn't do it, I would pay him to do mine. You must be worth what you charge or people won't call back.

This is not rocket science guys. If you have a brain cleaning carpet and upholstery is not difficult.

Hey Mike, it's quite clear I have set him up for success not failure. You will be eating your words in the future.

Dave

Farenheit251

The most important number is how much you have left each month after paying bills and providing well for the family. How much do you invest each month to grow your personal net worth? Doesn't matter if your a high,medium or low priced cleaner. The key is to make an extra $100 a day. With the miracle of compound interest most will be well off in 10 years and wealthy in 20. Too many guys neglect paying themselves in an effort to get rich with the business. Brian E

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Know what, Dann'l?

A better question would be,
"are they worth it"?

not whether if they should charge as much as vets

..L.T.A.

G

Larry,

I get my business through referral sources. 76% of my business is repeat customers. After 6 years in business that is not bad. My customers know how expensive I am and if I was not worth it my sales would show.

Danny,

I'm not going to say because it's not for me to do. If he wants to remain silent that is his choice. He has been on the boards and spoke up when I was trying to help on the blue board.

In my opinion most cleaners, Veteran and rookies don't charge enough. You have overhead which includes salary, you are the CEO of a company, the marketing department, the labor and you have to support a retirement fund. With what most cleaners charge that is not possible. Guys like Larry have to do remodeling to make it. I want to make my money in 1 business.

This is also a seasonal business and you have to make enough money from April to November to support yourself all year.

Dave

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
I know one thing. The "veteran" cleaners should want the newbies to charge as much as possible because it'll make it easier for everyone to get more $$$. The reason carpet cleaning prices are held down lower than other service industries like plumbers,electricians,mechanics etc is because most have no formal training not only for cleaning but for business sense. Almost every new carpet cleaner out there has the mentality of just charge a little less than the next guy and you'll get the work and make the lots of money, of course they don't realize that there is a difference in cash flow and profit.

G

No.. not at all.

but to contradict that.. When I was new.. I was better than most veteran cleaners..

so the bottom line is.. 'there is no system to decide who is good.. when to get more money for your efforts, etc'..

Its all hard to tell.

But I agree.. why should a newb who doesnt know what he's doing.. has inferior equipment and has just decided "hey.. I want to be a cc'er'.. I just lost my job''.
why should that person charge what I do?

but how do you stop it and who mediates pricing? etc..

Nobody..

so just get what you can get.. and let the customers even it all out in their purchasing decisions over time.

This will always be a sad sad industry 95% across the board.. for these very reasons.

And who loses..?? the customers.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
"Larry,
I get my business through referral sources. 76% of my business is repeat customers. After 6 years in business that is not bad. My customers know how expensive I am and if I was not worth it my sales would show."

Don't know why you mentioned my name, Dave.
Was that comment in referance to something "I" said?
If so, don't have a clue what it was.

but since you got my attention;

"Guys like Larry have to do remodeling to make it. "

I don't know about all that, Dave.

I did pretty well when I was an owner/op out on the van everyday.
I also live in "podunckville" , don't CHOOSE to be on the van all the time and don't have a million peep population to tap into.
Diversification keeps the little genies busy all winter, increases our bottom line, adds value to our Co as a biz, and the BEST part is,
I make more, and work less.

Your considering getting back into WD work.
What's a matter? can't you "make it" just cleaning carpets?

No offense Dave, but that statement of what I "have to do" to "make it" sounds stOOpit and feels a bit condesending to me comming from a guy who went bankrupt and had to have someone bank roll them to get back into CCing and now that investor call the shots in "your" biz.

Your also the only cleaning tech in your Co, yet have an investor (the one who bankrolled your biz and AT) and one other who draws a sallary, correct?
That makes a one tech, one van outfit like yours HAVE to charge more than the "average" O/Op to "net" the same dough.

I got nothing against a guy getting what the market will bear, but there's some guys who can "net" as much dough and not have to work as long or hard to make it.

Further, your going to run into the same problems some of the other "highroller" O/Ops will, if/when they ever decide to get out of the van.
It's YOU, your work ethic and your personality that's commands those referals at top prices.
Put a tech in the van and get off the truck and see what happens

..L.T.A.

G

Larry,

I didn't intend to sound critical. My point was just that if we charge enough we can concentrate on one thing to make money. The water damage I am doing is only existing customers. I had a few customers get mad this year because I couldn't take care of them.

I only plan on using the equipment a couple times a year.

Dave

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
it's cool Dave.
i said my peace.
Just thought it was a bit presumptuous to make a comment like that and I took it a little personal

I also at one time thought like you and thought it was best to only do one thing.

Changed my mind about that in my 11Th or so year in biz.

I'm glad i did, cause I make more and it keeps us busy year round with out spending a nickel on marketing.

I don't see it as any different than the guys who add tile and stone care, or pressure washing to their service.
Or even upholstery for that matter.

I was leaving money on the table when I went in to clean carpets on empties.
I figured why not do it ALL and turn a $150 dollar job into a $1500 dollar job and not have to run all over town to get it?

See Dave, it's all about catching crawdads to me.
Doesn't matter where or how I catch them, just that they're fat juicy crawdads that the little genies can scoop up for me

it's all good

..L.T.A.

Greenie

I love the experienced cleaners that still work for wages, nothing really more than a job, no investemnts, no savings, just a job.

I also love the apartment whores who say you can't get much more for apt. work. I just ask if you and azll cleaners double your apt. rates tomorrow, why wouldn't they pay it? duh. You guys are bringing your own world down, water seesk it's own level.

Go against the grain and charge more...end of story, many will pay it.

G

Larry,

I actually was where you are with the painting in the apartments in the early 90's. At one point we cleaned the carpet, cleaned and painted the apartment. It's just not as profitable as carpet cleaning but it does keep you busy in the winter.

This winter we were real busy, In January I didn't work the first week but worked 6 days a week after that and February I worked 6 days a week except for winterfest. I hope this winter is just as busy, we will soon find out.

See Larry, I've been there and done that. I was owner operator and had 1 employee for a few years then grew to 14 employees then out of business and started all over. I know I would have to have 2 techs to do my sales numbers so I would need another truck and I would not be as profitable.

Dave

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dave, maybe you didn't charge enough for the painting and cleaning so you could have others do it for you?

Maybe you LIKE working 6 days a week and doing all the physical labor by yourself?

Maybe you HAVE to be on the truck everyday to cover your costs paying all that extra overhead

I don't.

I'm pushing 50 and have paid my dues.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the virtues of diversification.

One thing we may agree on, if something happens to your only tech (you) you'll have problems.

" I know I would have to have 2 techs to do my sales numbers"

You'll take a major hit financially

..L.T.A.

Mikey P

Administrator
What would happen if you were not able to run your crews Larry?

Sure sounds like you need to be on sight a lot.

Could you hire someone to do YOUR job?

G

Geese,

You boys haven't figured out Larry yet? He works less than 15-20 hours a week. Jr will come back if need be..and run the show of Caporellis and Daughters CC and Ghetto makeovers. Aunt Joanie needs some fresh diamonds anyways.

LMAO

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
What would happen if you were not able to run your crews Larry?

Cody handles most of the day to day on site stuff.
Matter of fact, there's many projects that he's "the man" on.
All he does is tell me what he needs in materials and i get them there.
It's more cost effective for me to chase materials than have him do it

"Sure sounds like you need to be on sight a lot. "

Not really, in the rehabs I generally don't spend more than a few minutes checking progress or dropping off materials.
The only time I spend time working with the crew is when we're swamped and behind the 8 ball
Some jobs I never show up on 'cept for quality assurance purpose

"Could you hire someone to do YOUR job?"

Sure, but why would I?
I NEED something to keep me productive.
I'm too darn lazy and doubt I'll ever "completely" retire.
I could this when I'm 90.

Where I'm not so systematized is in resi CCing.
I have a hard time letting that fly on it's own and still feel the need to be on most of them.

It's a control thing. I think no one can do as good or schmooze the custy as good as me.
I'm getting "somewhat" better at that, though it took me a long time to feel comfortable about them doing empties by themselves LOL

Resi is the last piece of the puzzle left

..L.T.A.

harryhides

Name
Tony
Every market is different, cost of living, unemployment rates, type and amount of competition.

I don't think that there is only one formula or business model that is the best for everyone. Plus the ground is always shifting. For example, glides have allowed some older arthritic O/O's to keep going.

We have all made mistakes and we can all learn from each other.

Here's a little item that some owner operators may want to think about:
If your van is stolen, did you know that the paperwork to provide money for a replacement will not not even begin until the van has been missing for over a month ( in case it is found)? So, what would happen to your biz if you did not have your truck for over a month ?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom