VCT Question

Discussion in 'Hard Surface Hub' started by Matthew Sturgis, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Matthew Sturgis
    Matthew Sturgis

Name:
    Matthew Sturgis
    I have only done one VCT job so far. So I am a complete rookie.
    A church wants an estimate to clean their kitchen.
    They have these big cabinets on wheels. I am wondering how you would clean this job.
    Would you just move them around while you stripped and scrubbed?
    Would you strip on area and move them over before waxing? I am concerned about scuffing or dirtying up the tiles with the tires.
    Or would you move them, strip, wax, and then move them back?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Onfire_02_01
    Onfire_02_01

Name:
    Jeremy Gray
    I would see if you could move them out before doing the job.
    The problem is that no matter how you move them arround the wax you are moving them on will not be set up enough to withstand the weight.
    If they don’t really move that much you could move them to clean under then move them into their place and wax arround them. You could also come back the next day, once the wax has set, move the cabinets and wax under; but that would require a second trip.
  3. scottw
    scottw

Supportive Member

Name:
    Scott Warrington
    Good advice above. I would try to move them out. Let someone at the church replace them the next day when the finish is hardened. Clean the wheels while you are there so they are not pushing dirt into the new finish as they get rolled into the room.

If you can't move them out. Move to do the floor under them. Push back into place. Do the rest of the floor.
  4. Small town janitorial
    Small town janitorial

Name:
    Matt Ross
    Move them. Let them move them back in a day or two. If they scratch them, charge them to come back and buff the scratches out. If they want you to move them back the next day, bring some cardboard or drop canvases to roll them on.
    scottw and Hack Attack like this.
  5. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    Or if you plan to do this a lot:

6. Matthew Sturgis
    Matthew Sturgis

Name:
    Matthew Sturgis
    Thanks for your responses guys. I am going to go back and measure the cabinets and door frame and see if I can move them out.
  7. Doug Rice
    Doug Rice

Supportive Member

If the cabinets don't get moved much the floor underneath might not need much work. Most of these floors don't need stripped unless they have been putting down mop n glow or some other garbage sparkle juice. If it is not in bad shape and has conventional floor finish it might just need a deep scrub with a blue or green pad, a couple of rinses and 2 or 3 coats of finish.
  8. Matthew Sturgis
    Matthew Sturgis

Name:
    Matthew Sturgis
    That's one of the things I am confused about. When to strip and when to just scrub. This is a kitchen in a church and I don't know if they have used mop n glow or not.

The other thing I'm confused about is when to stop stripping. How can you tell when all the wax up up?
  9. Hack Attack
    Hack Attack

Name:
    Dan
    Ask them how they are maintaining the floor, or check the cleaning cupboard for any mop on topicals

It looks like there is a topical on there from the reflection, I'd strip it back if they want more finish applied as not all products are compatible.

If you can scrub it back and there is no remaining discolouration then you dont need to strip it, provided you are reapplying the same finish
  10. rider0992
    rider0992

Name:
    Kenny Hayes
    I would just move them. But in the case I couldn’t, I would square scrub dry strip and move them from side to side. In the event I couldn’t move them at all, I would square scrub around them.
  11. Matthew Sturgis
    Matthew Sturgis

Name:
    Matthew Sturgis
    Went back today. Could not find anything besides fabuloso. Not sure what they are mopping with. I may hear from their custodian this week.
    They do have a few gallons of finish. So you think I could take say a green pad and scrub the floor. If I am not using a stripper would I use a neutral cleaner? Scrub the floor until the darkness disappears and then apply a couple coats of their finish. Does that sound logical?

The only other one I did I stripped with a hi-pro pad. I got everything off that floor. I guess I will need doodle bug pads of the same color as my circular pad.
  12. Matthew Sturgis
    Matthew Sturgis

Name:
    Matthew Sturgis
    I measured today and I can move one of them out. The other will have to stay. I am thinking of scrubbing underneath, moving back, and then finishing around it. The only areas that would not get extra finish would be under the 4 wheels. They don't seem to move but a little bit over time just from normal use.
  13. Small town janitorial
    Small town janitorial

Name:
    Matt Ross
    It's difficult to say from pictures whether a scrub and recoat would be sufficient. Some janitorial supply stores have a cleaner specific for that job, and it pulls more dirt out of the wax than a nuetral cleaner. Let it dwell and scrub with a green pad. Then if you want you can try to buff, then dust mop, then recoat.
    Old Coastie likes this.
  14. Old Coastie
    Old Coastie

Supportive Member

Name:
    Stephen
    There is an abrasive brown pad just for that. I use it with cleaner, or just water.
    Slurp it up, then buff, dry mop and recoat.
  15. Hack Attack
    Hack Attack

Name:
    Dan
    If the finish they've used is reputable (I have no idea of brands over there) you could try scrubbing with a neutral emulsifier to bring back then reapply topcoat

If I'm taking over a floor (and responsibility going forward) then I'll strip it and use products I'm happy with going forward
    Bruce Humphrey likes this.
  16. Matthew Sturgis
    Matthew Sturgis

Name:
    Matthew Sturgis
    Ok saw a video of a guy using a "mop on restorer". Looks like that would work better then a neutral cleaner.

I will get a brown pad to try. Probably with some colors of the rainbow too.

I thought of that too, just too know I am starting on solid ground. I am unfamiliar with the finish they used but it seems at first glace to be ok. It's made by Clarion.
  17. Willy P
    Willy P

Name:
    Willy P

How did it undo the gas fittings?:headscratch: And who the heck puts olefin in a kitchen?:headscratch:
  18. Hack Attack
    Hack Attack

Name:
    Dan
    Use the stripper that goes with it if stripping
  19. Willy P
    Willy P

Name:
    Willy P
    Lee Stockwell likes this.
  20. hogjowl
    hogjowl