Tile Guru's... How would you tackle this slate?

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Happy Sat!

So yea, I see this style/type of tile in many homes around me. Slate with years of wax and crap on top. Pretty much every(nice) home built between 1950 and 1975 has this.

Other than a bout load of scrubbing, what type of products would you use? Safe for stone, floor stripper? Zook up some normal powermax and go to town? Maybe some flex? Add some citrus solvent? Floor stripper with your prespray? Viper whatever...?

Sorry it flipped my pics...:oldrolleyes:

Happy Easter!

photo 123.jpg

20151023_113150.jpg

Why would there be green spots of color in a dark tile? Never seen this before...
20151023_114050.jpg

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
The green spots are normal

Appears someone did the test spot ? And color sealed grout lines ? You can see white residue on tile like cold seal.

First, identify if the grout lines are shinny.. I use a hi intensity flash light for this. I his will help lead you in the right direction

I doesn't look like there's much of a coating on there?

So I would test a stripper and a good alkalone cleaner.
Plan on using an acid cleaner after to get grout white as possible

Also. Do they have pets? Looks like pee pee in grout.

Afterwards, sealing will depend on customers goals. Enhancing impregnator or more that likely a topical to give it some sheen. To most people shinny = cleaner Looking

steve_64

20151221_120347.jpg
20160113_101617.jpg

I had to use stripper to get it to that point. And protect that wood flooring. The whole floor was brown when I started.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny

Appears someone did the test spot ? And color sealed grout lines ? You can see white residue on tile like cold seal.

First, identify if the grout lines are shinny.. I use a hi intensity flash light for this. I his will help lead you in the right direction

Afterwards, sealing will depend on customers goals. Enhancing impregnator or more that likely a topical to give it some sheen. To most people shinny = cleaner Looking

Acid cleaner on slate?

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I don't know if I would try acid on slate. I think a good alkaline tile cleaner, scrub with a crb and rinse with a hard floor tool. Get a small scrub brush for the edges and corners. I'm no guru but I have done a couple of slate jobs and you can get some unexpected results. If the tiles are as old as you say, under promise and over deliver.

Reactions: Kellie Hiler

steve_64

Stripper a 175 and blck pad.

Crb didnt do squat on mine.

I used viper renew to try and brighten it more. It didnt hurt it.

Kellie Hiler

Name
Kellie Hiler
Wow...I never would've considered using an acid on slate. I think I'd be too afraid to try but if someone ever gives me the go ahead to try a small area I shall have to try it.

clean image

Name
Carl Maddock
Slate is a different stone than marble,limestone, trav.

there is no calcite for acid to react with

you may get a little bleeding, however remote, and that's mostly the darker slates I have run into

the acid recommendation if more for the grout.

If the slate looks great, and the grout looks like crap, the whole job looks like crap... you need to address it.

steve_64

I tried some peroxide on a couple grout lines and it really made a big difference. I just hadnt got back to it yet.

Ill probably clean it all again hit the grout lines with peroxide wait a week and seal it. The peroxide takes a few days to really brighten it all the way.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Slate is a different stone than marble,limestone, trav.

there is no calcite for acid to react with

you may get a little bleeding, however remote, and that's mostly the darker slates I have run into

the acid recommendation if more for the grout.

If the slate looks great, and the grout looks like crap, the whole job looks like crap... you need to address it.
you learn something new every day

Reactions: Mikey P

A.J.

Name
A.J. Hodges

Same for a shower? This is exactly what my bathroom floor and shower look like. The shower has alot of soap scum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom